2002 WRX - new owner!

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX - new owner! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! New owner in Little Rock, AR. I just acquired a 2002 WRX a couple weeks ago, I've been ...

Cool 2002 WRX - new owner!

Hey guys! New owner in Little Rock, AR. I just acquired a 2002 WRX a couple weeks ago, I've been lurking on here for a little while doing some research and finally decided to get an account. This is a great site, and I'm very pleased to finally own a WRX. I've been lusting after one ever since I read an article in an automotive magazine ( probably motor trend or car and driver) back in fall of 2001. I remember seeing a picture of a blue wagon playing in the snow, and the article claimed that it could keep up with a stock Mustang GT at the time. Impressive stuff...so when a friend of mine contacted me saying that his was for sale, I couldn't resist. I had been looking around ebay and craigslist for a while, but couldn't find the perfect car. I always told myself the ideal WRX would be a bugeye wagon, blue or silver, with manual transmission. And look what I ended up with!

Of course a newer model would be better, but I actually like the looks and for the price it can't be beat. I was selling a '95 toyota celica 1.8L beater so this is a big step up. I came on rough financial times a couple years ago and the celica was a necessary purchase. It held together well and got good gas mileage, but wouldn't get out of it's own way. I couldn't let this deal get by. I got the 'friends and family' pricing, so I think it turned out pretty good. There were a number of things that were wrong that I didn't notice during the test drive. The car has 137,000 miles, but the body looks great besides a few minor dings and the engine compartment was spotless. There were some mods done by the 1st owner (I am #3) including catless uppipe, downpipe, tsudo exhaust (LOUD!), and supposedly a tune. From what I read that is a pretty good mod list. Apparently the original owner is from New Orleans, and the car was there during Katrina. Maybe he is around here somewhere... I was so into just driving the car that I didn't check out a lot of the little things, like radio, windows, lights, windshield wipers. OK, so I pretty much only checked out the major mechanicals. Really, I was so thrilled at the car and price, that I reasoned the little things I would deal with later. I do ALL my own work on vehicles, and actually like a challenge from time to time. So after I bought the car and started driving it, the little things started showing up. Squealing belt, no power steering, grinding going into 1st gear, no recirculate vent. Also there was wiring in the back for an amp and subs, which I care nothing for right now. The squealing belt needed to be tightened, the power steering reservoir was empty, the clutch fluid was low and the system needed to be bled, and there was a HUGE PIECE OF YELLOW FOAM where the cabin air filter should have been that was keeping the recirculating air door from moving. Needless to say, I got to know the car pretty quick. This past weekend I bled the clutch fluid and it was a nightmare. I actually did it twice, after I figured out you had to remove the slave cylinder and raise it above the master cylinder. I'm REAL good at removing that intercooler now. First time took me about 40 minutes, I was afraid to tug too hard but finally got the TB/Turbo connections loose. Getting them back on was a bear too....not so much the 2nd time! I was relieved with the better clutch action, but still some grinding in 1st. I'll get around to changing the gear oil, which I just learned has been in it for AT LEAST the past 50k miles. This is from a guy who used to compete in rally races, so I figured he would know better. Oh well. I'm still satisfied with the car, and with the trans shifting better it may be about perfect.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

Congrats on joining the Subaru family and welcome to the Club!

Quote Originally Posted by oblonganimal View Post
    Of course a newer model would be better...
    Balderdash! Bugeyes are the BEST!

Sorry to hear you've encountered a few nuisances in your short WRX ownership, but good to hear you're familiarizing yourself with the car and learning through repairs!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Welcome, and glad to hear you have fixed the bugs.
    Hawkeye Alliance#208
    "Time to stab out" - Andy Clair

Thanks for the welcomes. Bugs don't bother me much, as long as I get them taken care of! Still got a great deal, bugs and all.

And maybe I should have said newer vehicle...didn't mean anything against the bugeyes! I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't think it was . Just mechanically, newer=better.