new cali suby owner w/mod questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on new cali suby owner w/mod questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I purchased my Obsidian black wrx sedan a moth an a half ago and love it!! However i have a ...

Exclamation new cali suby owner w/mod questions

I purchased my Obsidian black wrx sedan a moth an a half ago and love it!! However i have a bad case of the mod itch!! I replaced the factory for an SPT CBE. Payed way too much for it, on long rides that monotonous drone sound gets annoying. i recently went perrin's stage 1 and i'm very happy with the change i feel the difference round second and fourth gear who knows? it could just be me. I looking into upgrading to a TBE for more hp gain. I don't want anything that's gonna be too loud any suggestions? Can i go stage 2 once i get the TBE without a TMIC?what sort of set up is recommended? Any risks? I'm fairly new to wrx's and modding in general. Any advice would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

On the forums doing research I have seen the stages mentioned quite often

It seems that Stage 2 includes a TBE (Turbo Back Exhaust) and a tune.

From what I read (haven't done it yet) the tune is where you should feel the real power.
    2008 Subaru WRX 5door : EJ25 Turbo
    1997 Honda Del Sol : N/A D16Y8
    1982 Pontiac Trans Am : Chevy 305

I Support ClubWRX
    You don't need a tmic for going stage 2. If you are going in for a protune when you get your turbo back you can get an sti tmic and it will help powerwise. However not necessary.

I had the aps 3" exhaust (looks like an spt) exhaust and the reason I went with a bigger louder style was because it never droned in my opinion. I have had the APS 4", 3.5" and the HKS hipower and invidia n1. That's my personal style and opinion. I like them the best. I think I'm going to try an espilir out to see how I like it on my 07

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

going in for a protune?

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    You don't need a tmic for going stage 2. If you are going in for a protune when you get your turbo back you can get an sti tmic and it will help powerwise. However not necessary.

I had the aps 3" exhaust (looks like an spt) exhaust and the reason I went with a bigger louder style was because it never droned in my opinion. I have had the APS 4", 3.5" and the HKS hipower and invidia n1. That's my personal style and opinion. I like them the best. I think I'm going to try an espilir out to see how I like it on my 07
    Not exactly sure what prutune means some of the terminolgy here is still confusing but im catchin on quickly. pls shed some light.

pro tune = dyno tune with a professional tuner

this is opposed to a standard map from places like access port default stage 2 map

I Support ClubWRX
    A pro tune is like said above. It is more popular and much cheaper these days to skip buyin a Cobb accessport and wad directly to your nearest Subaru tuning facility. Every vehicle is different and Cobb maps are very generic leaving a lot of useable power untapped so to say.

roger that.

understood...not sure i know of any pro tuners in the san diego area. how can i go about finding protuners in cali
    i already purchased the ap from perrin for my stage 1 i was told i'd get their map if i opted to go that route. so my the ap become obsolete if i go with a pro-tune? you guys r very helpful.

the pro tuner can and should make maps for your tuning device.

If you bought the AP then he/she can make a map for the AP if they have the software. The AP is just a way to tap into the ECU.

I believe the AP holds 5 maps +stock so you have the ability to revert to stock, do a tune for nitrous, a tune for 93 octane, 91 octane, 106+ race gas tune, and one for slightly lower boost on 93 octane for travel.

you can also go with an full engine management system (EMS) from someone like AEM or Delta (check out the EMS forum) and most of those can be done on the fly with a computer after each run for tweaking. Pro tuners should also be able to give you maps for that.

The regional threads may net someone in your area who knows some good tuners around San Diego. Just make sure you ask the tuner if he has the ability to build custom maps for your AP.

The pro tune is due to the fact that every car is different, and a pro tuner will know how to best suit your ride to get the most power safely to your wheels.

great info.

ok i'll take a look into aem and also regional threads for a tuner. thanks a lot for all the useful input.

I just noticed you have a 2010, two things

the first is make sure you baby your ride until after the break in period nothing worse than modifying a ride still in the break in period only to throw a rod or cause a knock

the second is AEM doesn't make an EMS for the 2010, the only ones I have been able to find to date are the Delta or the AP, I have an 08 so I'm in the same boat

oh boy..

what is the proper break in period?

I Support ClubWRX
    The AEM EMS I have one in my 05 and it is nice but pretty dang expensive and not 100% amazing to use. The only person I see liking this really is the actual tuner in his own vehicle IE Bobby at PRE.

I am looking in to doing open source on my 07

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeco3 View Post
    what is the proper break in period?
    New Car Break-in period:
    1000 miles: Drive calmly for the first 1,000 miles.
    Always note the blue 'cold engine' light on the dashboard- it means the engine is cold and drive accordingly.
    Avoid hard starts and stops.
    Avoid over-revving the engine, try to keep RPMs under 4000.
    Vary your speeds over the full range of city and highway driving
    Don't use cruise control much, if at all.
    City and freeway driving is fine because that will vary the speeds
    1st oil change 4 cylinder models 7,500 miles, turbo and 6 cylinder 3 months or 3,000 miles. Note It is recommended to do the first oil change on all models at 3mos/3,000 miles.

Generic from: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2010

I think the owners manual has something like 1500 miles and the first oil change on turbo is 3750 miles or 3 months (whichever is first)

yeah nothing for the 2010 on aem

checked out their site but nothing for the 2010 yet. seems pricy

yeah they can easily get over 2 grand for a piggy back or stand alone unit.

I also found that TurboXS offers a UTEC unit.

The Delta and TurboXS UTEC offers the ability to tune on the fly or data log with a laptop. TurboXS is local to me so I plan on dropping by sometime this week and seeing if they will do a tune and to map out my mods. I'll let you know what they say about the UTEC as far as cost. I know their site has it listed at $0.00 which usually means the site is having problems.

Some of the sites I know of are:

fastwrx.com (aka Mach V located locally to me on the east coast)
    turboxs.com (also locally owned to me)
    jscspeed.com (I have no idea where they are)

just google subaru performance and there are literally hundreds of sites listed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast