new cali suby owner w/mod questions - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on new cali suby owner w/mod questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by arthowell New Car Break-in period: 1000 miles: Drive calmly for the first 1,000 miles. Always note the ...

....ok i'm good

Quote Originally Posted by arthowell View Post
    New Car Break-in period:
    1000 miles: Drive calmly for the first 1,000 miles.
    Always note the blue 'cold engine' light on the dashboard- it means the engine is cold and drive accordingly.
    Avoid hard starts and stops.
    Avoid over-revving the engine, try to keep RPMs under 4000.
    Vary your speeds over the full range of city and highway driving
    Don't use cruise control much, if at all.
    City and freeway driving is fine because that will vary the speeds
    1st oil change 4 cylinder models 7,500 miles, turbo and 6 cylinder 3 months or 3,000 miles. Note It is recommended to do the first oil change on all models at 3mos/3,000 miles.

Generic from: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2010

I think the owners manual has something like 1500 miles and the first oil change on turbo is 3750 miles or 3 months (whichever is first)
    i didn't flash until i was at 1200 miles...i hope that is ok. thamks for the info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you have been able to make it to 500+ miles more with no issues I'm guessing you're in the clear (someone correct me if I am wrong)

As a general rule of thumb (FOR ME.. IMO) for NEW cars would be not to modify anything until after the first oil change just to work out any kinks and get used to the car in its stock form. Lucky me I bought my wrx stock used with 10k miles so I'm free and clear to shove all kinds of goodies under the hood.. if only I had the extra cash to put something new on every day
    2008 Subaru WRX 5door : EJ25 Turbo
    1997 Honda Del Sol : N/A D16Y8
    1982 Pontiac Trans Am : Chevy 305

that's pretty hefty!

yeah def keep me posted i'd like to see what they say about mapping for your mods. I'm waiting for my suspension kit from perrin....they were out of stock on the fron links . man i can wait to swap out the stock suspension it's gonna make a world of difference. Stock feels a little shady when cornering at higher speed in terms of body roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeco3 View Post
    understood...not sure i know of any pro tuners in the san diego area. how can i go about finding protuners in cali
    i already purchased the ap from perrin for my stage 1 i was told i'd get their map if i opted to go that route. so my the ap become obsolete if i go with a pro-tune? you guys r very helpful.
    Your close to Huntington beach right? Look up HBSpeed. There a very reputable tuning shop.
    You say the SPT is too droney? I was researching for a quieter stealthy setup and i thought that would be it

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    A pro tune is like said above. It is more popular and much cheaper these days to skip buyin a Cobb accessport and wad directly to your nearest Subaru tuning facility. Every vehicle is different and Cobb maps are very generic leaving a lot of useable power untapped so to say.
    Agree. I have Stage 2 map from a Cobb AP, and i know there are certain areas that can be tuned way finer. I plan a pro tune soon. I'll be headed to the coast this summer, and maybe I'll stop in Gresham
    Hawkeye Alliance#208
    "Time to stab out" - Andy Clair

Sorry newb here also.. So you need an AP to get a tune, right?

You do not need an AP to do a tune. There are several options out there that do not require it.

There are several other options not limited to but to include the DELTA, UTEC, OpenSource, and Access Port. Each one has their own way of interfacing with the ECU. A pro tuner can build you maps (depending on what they are set up for) based on what they are comfortable making maps for. Talk to your tuner if you have one. If you are doing this by yourself because you do not want a tuner I am finding a lot of posts saying that the Access Port is one of the easier and cheaper methods of tuning a Subaru.

To do an access port off the shelf map you need an AP.
    2008 Subaru WRX 5door : EJ25 Turbo
    1997 Honda Del Sol : N/A D16Y8
    1982 Pontiac Trans Am : Chevy 305

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.