nervous
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on nervous within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi -- I'm buying a WRX (my first new car ever) on Friday. I've never test driven it, but I ...

nervous

Hi -- I'm buying a WRX (my first new car ever) on Friday. I've never test driven it, but I know it's a good car. The problem is -- I've never driven a sports car before. The only manuals I've ever driven have been when I'm traveling overseas (like Ireland, etc.), and those were little econoboxes. I'm getting chicken about driving the subaru off the lot because maybe I'd screw up and wreck it right away since I'm not used to fast cars yet. I am thinking of waiting til my boyfriend gets back from a trip he's on and having him drive it to my house for me so I can practice in a familiar environment. Am I being a weenie and should I just suck it up and drive it off the lot myself?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome. Do what you feel is the safest. Eventually you won't be able to get enough of your sooby

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't buy it before driving it. You may not like it, or you may not like it enough for the price. If you do like it, don't worry, it's generally very easy to drive in traffic etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Don't worry about it. The WRX isn't a sports car, it just has a lot of horsepower but is otherwise like any other car you've driven. The AWD and front engine configuration makes it very safe to handle. Go easy on the throttle and you won't have any problems. Once you are comfortable with how it drives, start using more throttle until you get used to the faster acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt314 View Post
    Don't worry about it. The WRX isn't a sports car, it just has a lot of horsepower but is otherwise like any other car you've driven. The AWD and front engine configuration makes it very safe to handle. Go easy on the throttle and you won't have any problems. Once you are comfortable with how it drives, start using more throttle until you get used to the faster acceleration.
    Thanks -- I was never a great driver of manuals in the first place, so I'm feeling worried that I will make a mistake. I'll just have some confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by meowmix View Post
    Thanks -- I was never a great driver of manuals in the first place, so I'm feeling worried that I will make a mistake. I'll just have some confidence.

everybody makes mistakes driving manuals... even people who have driven them for years. dont be afraid to make mistakes. just drive it as often as you can to get used to it and you will be fine. the power isnt so much as to be overwhelming
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

Question: with the hill assist, does this mean I don't have to put the e-brake on when I stop on a hill? Not sure what this hill assist does (if anything).

Question: with the hill assist, does this mean I don't have to put the e-brake on when I stop on a hill? Not sure what this hill assist does (if anything).
    you are correct. The car automatically applies a brake for a few seconds so you don't roll back.
    2008 OBP STi
    traded in: 2004 PSM WRX
    Stink Eye Mob #25
    08+ Impreza Owners Photo Gallery...

I had the hill assist work for about 45 seconds while I waited for the dealership to move cars around (might even have been a minute or two). It works great. Being from Pittsburgh all we have are mountains and hills...so I was a little worried when I went to test drive the vehicle. Not worried about it, but for a DD I wasn't sure if I wanted to deal with going up hills all the time. The Hill Assist sold me right off the bat on the test drive.

Needless to say I ordered one (from another dealership) a couple days later.

I had never driven a MT vehicle before when I bought my Trans Am. I drove it all the way from Michigan to Pittsburgh. Only stalled 2 times I think (maybe 3). My friend that went with me told me, "It's your car, YOU drive it off the lot, otherwise you shouldn't be getting it." It's okay to stall the thing, it happens to everyone. He also told me that he expects to stall a vechicle once if he's never driven it before. But once you do that you learn the clutch system and shouldn't have a problem afterwards (expect on huge steep hills). He was 100% correct, now that I think this way I can drive any MT car without fear.

Drive it off the lot, you'll be much more proud of yourself!
    Last edited by PewterTA; 04-09-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Weenie?

Hi -- I'm buying a WRX (my first new car ever) on Friday. I've never test driven it, but I know it's a good car. The problem is -- I've never driven a sports car before. The only manuals I've ever driven have been when I'm traveling overseas (like Ireland, etc.), and those were little econoboxes. I'm getting chicken about driving the subaru off the lot because maybe I'd screw up and wreck it right away since I'm not used to fast cars yet. I am thinking of waiting til my boyfriend gets back from a trip he's on and having him drive it to my house for me so I can practice in a familiar environment. Am I being a weenie and should I just suck it up and drive it off the lot myself?
    Weenie? I think not. Everyone has been in your situation at one time or another. It's ok to make mistakes everyone does. It's your car so drive it with confidence and you'll be a pro in no time flat. Enjoy It!

hmm, this thread actually does relate to me a little bit...

Are you saying that it's a good or a bad idea to make my first MT experience driving a WRX off for the first time? :P

I'm expecting to buy one late in the summer at this point, so I have plenty of time to head over to my uncle's shop and learn out back

I Support ClubWRX
    Several years ago a former co-worker bought a manual equipped car new (2002 RSX-S) with almost no experience driving one. He learned quite fast and all worked out.

Take your time, you'll make a few mistakes. Unless you are a complete uncoordinated oaf, you will likely learn faster than you think. Good luck!

Not sure what this hill assist does (if anything).
    I'd not bother with it. Do it on your own - using it will detract from your overall skill. Maybe use it a little at first ... if you continue you will become dependent on it.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-09-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I never drove a MT, but I am going to get a STI and learn as I go so good luck to all of us. Oh and I love my 05 WRX 4eat. No one should drive your car before you (my opinion).

Its just nerves. You'll do fine I am sure. The clutch on these does take a bit of getting used to though.

Have had several Manual subbies, and many other manual cars too. (hey I'm old, shoot me).

And guess what.. leaving the dealership... what did I do? Yep, you guessed it. Stalled in first when I was leaving.

Sure it was embarrassing, but was quickly forgotten on the drive home.

As others have said it will happen, especially when you are getting used to a new clutch and transmission.

here's what you do:

first, don't crank up the radio...you want to listen to the sound of the engine and hear it when it is at the right rpm to make a smooth controlled take off in first gear.

second, with the car idling, put the car in first gear at a safe location and let the clutch out, (don't give it any gas), until you feel the "catch point" where the clutch begins to engage. this way you'll now the location. do this a few times, but don't release enough to stall it. you'll get a good feel for where the clutch will be when you need to give it gas. also, with the clutch engaged, move the shifter through the gears to get a feel for where each gear "lies".

third, try to find a slight downhill for your first clutch with gas engagement. downhill is easier as there is usually enough momentum to not kill the car even if you don't gas it properly.

take your time. go slowly and more and more you'll get the feel for the car and clutch and gas and before you know it you'll be having way more fun than you thought possible in a car.
    2010 Impreza WRX 5-door base model + short throw shifter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.