nervous - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on nervous within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Don't yell at me on this... but I thought the subaru clutch was almost identical to my Pontiac Trans Am's ...

Don't yell at me on this...

but I thought the subaru clutch was almost identical to my Pontiac Trans Am's (standard GM).

I was really shocked when I drove it. I've driven Audi's and Fords (ugh awful) and Toyotas and a few others and was extremely surprised how close the clutch was.

Which is 100% perfect to me since I'm used to it. Course the only difference is the Trans Am "grabs" and once it does it locks in where the subaru seemed to "ease" into gear a little more.

Either way I think it's a very quick and easy learning process.

The Audi I drove was the hardest because you couldn't tell when it "grabbed" the gear and was close to stalling a couple time (though it's soo soft there was no fear of that).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

update

Wanted to give you guys an update -- last Friday I picked up my new WRX (5-door premium, red, short throw shifter, subaru exhause). Despite being nervous, I drove it off the lot and was fine! I did stall at a red light once on the way home (uphill stop), but I'm definitely getting used to it and it's so much fun to drive around.

I have another newbie question, though. What is the RPM "sweet spot" that I should be driving in? I'm currently doing about 3,000 when I drive around, but I don't know if I'm selling myself short and should be pushing it higher. Thanks for your help and all your encouragement!!

Quote Originally Posted by meowmix View Post
    What is the RPM "sweet spot" that I should be driving in? I'm currently doing about 3,000 when I drive around, but I don't know if I'm selling myself short and should be pushing it higher. Thanks for your help and all your encouragement!!
    I haven't driven an '05, but in general, if you want to use everything the engine's got, push it to redline (but only after the engine and transmission are warmed up!). You won't hurt the car, it's designed for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt314 View Post
    I haven't driven an '05, but in general, if you want to use everything the engine's got, push it to redline (but only after the engine and transmission are warmed up!). You won't hurt the car, it's designed for this.
    The car isn't an '05 -- it's a 2010 (new). It now has 100 miles on it.

The car isn't an '05 -- it's a 2010 (new). It now has 100 miles on it.
    Lol...sorry, my mind was elsewhere. Well, same thing applies. I mentioned the year only because some cars tend to 'run out of steam' at the higher rpms and all you get by pushing it further is just more noise.

Oh, and I forgot to mention...you might not want to push it to redline until it's broken in. Check your owners' manual for the recommend mileage there. Probably 1000 miles.

I learned standard on my WRX driving it off the lot. I previously only drove my cousins Scion tC to learn standard....and I thought I was pretty good at it until I picked my car up.

I got home OK but it took a solid 2 months before I stopped stalling...I couldn't seem to understand that the WRX needed more revs from a stop to get going. I was always scared of burning the clutch....so instead I bogged and stalled
    07 CGM WRX - Stage 2

You guys are lucky. I learned to drive a manual transmission in a 76 Plymouth Roadrunner. Talk about a difficult time learning to drive a stick shift.

I don't ride my car to redline. I normally shift at 4 or 5k RPM's.

Don't baby your car during break in but don't abuse it either.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Sorry, not to get off topic here... but what the heck is this hill assist thing? I have never heard of it. I assume this is yet another button my TR didnt come with or something? Or is it standard in all models? How does it even work? I was so bewildered when I read that hahaha
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    You guys are lucky. I learned to drive a manual transmission in a 76 Plymouth Roadrunner. Talk about a difficult time learning to drive a stick shift.
    Nice. I learnt on an 83 Land Cruiser (FJ40 I think). Had a cable clutch and no power steering - good times

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    Sorry, not to get off topic here... but what the heck is this hill assist thing? I have never heard of it. I assume this is yet another button my TR didnt come with or something? Or is it standard in all models? How does it even work? I was so bewildered when I read that hahaha
    Ask Technical: Subaru Hill-Holder
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have another newbie question, though. What is the RPM "sweet spot" that I should be driving in? I'm currently doing about 3,000 when I drive around, but I don't know if I'm selling myself short and should be pushing it higher. Thanks for your help and all your encouragement!!
    Since your car is new, most people will tell you to not push the RPMs past 4k for the first 1000 miles (Subaru also recommends this). While this isn't a bad idea... you CAN and SHOULD once in a while run it up or close to red line. Nice smooth acceleration and deceleration. Your car (in the long run) will run better and produce more power later in life working it in this way. Though really you need to have done this in the first 20 to 30 miles. But up until about 10K miles you should drive it like this...and also important in the first 1k as Subaru says.

Of course this is all with the engine & transmission warmed up.

You should also run it up and let off the gas and let the engine slow you down a few times. This helps break in the piston rings and get everything set properly.

Drive it "somewhat hard" ...don't baby it. Just don't drive it like you stole it (yet).

Best is to push it a few times and let off...just don't keep it running at the same RPMs all the time.

For normal cruising around I found that keeping the RPMs around 2k was perfect for me. Granted you can really "get on it" and take off, but that's why you have a manual...drop it down and go!

Hope that helps

I Support ClubWRX
    put your big girl shoes on and drive that mother home.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12