WRX buying tips?

This is a discussion on WRX buying tips? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm finally in the position to approach a dealership for a new WRX and was wondering if anyone has ...

WRX buying tips?

So I'm finally in the position to approach a dealership for a new WRX and was wondering if anyone has any good tips for trying to get a good deal? I've never bought a brand new car before so I'm not sure what to expect?

Some thoughts I had was to see if I could get winter tyres and rims thrown in? (I live in Canada ).

Also, is it true that subbies take a special oil filter, think I could ask for a bunch of those?
    (I live 3 hours from the nearest dealership so won't be taking the car to the dealership for servicing. In Canada its illegal for them to void my warranty providing all the work is done at a registered mechanic, which it will be).

For options, I'm thinking roof rack (got to put the canoe somewhere!), rear step pad (protect the bumper), rubber floor mats (protect the floor), cargo area tray (protect the trunk floor), block heater (protect engine when starting and its -40)
    -- Any other options I should consider?
    Last edited by Mechoption; 04-01-2010 at 09:00 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    When you figure out exactly what options you want, email each and every fleet manager for all the dealers within 2 hours of your location and ask for a quote. Go from there. The less people you meet and the less time you spend at the dealer's the better.

See this thread and then read the forum that contains the thead also:
    Purchasing Tips
    for more info. Happy shopping.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Maybe look into prices of a limited, and maybe the 11 WB Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Dark WRX View Post
    Maybe look into prices of a limited, and maybe the 11 WB Rex
    I'm not sure how to handle the new 2011 coming out. I'm happy with either the 2010 or 2011, and would prefer which ever one can save me $$. Should I wait till the 2011's are for sale and then go looking for a 2010? Would that make it cheaper?

I'm not really looking at the limited as it has the same drivetrain as the base model

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    When you figure out exactly what options you want, email each and every fleet manager for all the dealers within 2 hours of your location and ask for a quote. Go from there. The less people you meet and the less time you spend at the dealer's the better.

See this thread and then read the forum that contains the thead also:
    Purchasing Tips
    for more info. Happy shopping.
    10-4: That "Purchasing Tips" thread was a good read - thanks.

Personally I'm waiting on the 11s to come out to see them in physical form. I'll most likely start shopping for a new one at that time. Very impressed with the 10s: don't get me wrong. So might be double impressed with the new line.

Thinking about getting an STI. We'll see what happens. Let us all know what route you decide to go with.

I followed the advice posted on New car buying guide, how to buy new cars, avoid dealer scams when you buy a car.

They have an excellent spreadsheet which helps break down the deal.

Basically i did some research to find these things...

1. Invoice Price of Car
    2. Invoice Price of Factory Adds
    3. Dealer Holdback
    4. Destination Charges.

Taking this information i worked from the true dealer cost and figured 2%-3% profit was fair.

I took the spreadsheet with me and showed it to the salesperson and told them I believe 2-3 percent profit is fair.

The spreadsheet shows you're informed and pretty much ends the haggling. Following the tips on the site and using the spreadsheet will make the purchase stress free. No more wondering if you're getting a good deal or not.

Some interesting info - thanks. One weird one for me (not covered in the posted material) is how to handle the strong CDN$ versus the weak US$.

Right now the Canadian list price is CDN$33,395
    And the US list price (in Canadian dollars) is CDN$25,105

Is it reasonable for me to use the US list price as my starting point (25% off the Canadian list price)? Right now the Canadian guys must be making huge $$ as the invoice price should be similar for both Canadian and American sellers?

Too be honest, I didnt even consider whether or not this works for international buyers. I would assume so. The basics of the deal should still apply.

You basically need to know a few things.

Factory Invoice (what the dealership paid).
    Dealer Holdback (Money paid to the dealer by factory)
    Incentives
    Consumer Rebates
    Profit % (how much you want the dealer to make)

Your offer should be:
    (Invoice Price - Factory to Dealer Incentives - Factory Holdback - Consumer Rebates) + Profit %