need advice before purchase
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on need advice before purchase within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; im looking for a new car. im 23 and have 2 kids, i currenly drive a 05 honda civic coupe. ...

need advice before purchase

im looking for a new car. im 23 and have 2 kids, i currenly drive a 05 honda civic coupe. i bought it back before i had kids and needed an econo-mobile(try fitting 2 car seats) lol . soooooo, i have compared just about every car made from 2005 and up, and im prettty determined to buy a wrx. my question is do i wait for the new 2011 wide-body wrx and possibly be dissapointed? or do i buy a used sti 2006-2007? i dont want to buy a base wrx and wish ai had an sti is the issue. 35,000 usd. is a lot though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If I had two kids I'd be buying either a pre-08 wagon or a post-08 hatch. Given that, the STi version only became an option after 08, as the older ones were only 4dr. I'd recommend going out to test drive a few cars as the feel changed as much as the look over the years, and see what you like. You're right about the $35K though, that's a lot of money so chose wisely and take your time.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yea true, not a huge fan of the wagon though. my need for a larger car is just a cover-up for my want for a true performence car. i may be married with kids, but im still a crazy 23 yr old!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    If your insurance company agrees with your self-assessment the STi version may cost a mint to insure. I'd check into that before shopping too seriously; then I'd go out and test drive as many different models as I could.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would say that two kids the wagon would be the best choice. We had two kids with our 05 accord hybrid (current legacy size) and it wasn't 100% awesome to be honest. I have only hauled my one boy around in my 05 STi, 03 wrx and it is a good car for myself+prince.

I had bought my 1st 05 STi new when I was married as a homeowner no kids and my insurance was 73 per month. Perfect driving record, multiple car and homeowner also business insurance.. At the time I was 23.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

yea, its a hard decision to make. at least i didnt buy that mazdaspeed 3. i almost did until i looked under the hood. it has "fomoco" all over the place!!!! i would buy a ford with a jap motor, but not a jap car with a ford motor>.......

I Support ClubWRX
    Mazda is all ford.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjadude View Post
    i dont want to buy a base wrx and wish ai had an sti is the issue. 35,000 usd. is a lot though.
    I was in the opposite camp. I was worried that if I bought the 2010 STI vs Base, I would regret wasting the extra 10K. I spent a lot of time researching it and talking to the Subaru guys in my area and it really came down to whether or not I spent a lot of time at the track.

My opinion is the base or premium 2010's perform great and just imagine what 5-10k can do to make it even better.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjadude View Post
    yea, its a hard decision to make. at least i didnt buy that mazdaspeed 3. i almost did until i looked under the hood. it has "fomoco" all over the place!!!! i would buy a ford with a jap motor, but not a jap car with a ford motor>.......
    So, you'd be happy in a Ford Probe then?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby2010 View Post
    I was in the opposite camp. I was worried that if I bought the 2010 STI vs Base, I would regret wasting the extra 10K. I spent a lot of time researching it and talking to the Subaru guys in my area and it really came down to whether or not I spent a lot of time at the track.

My opinion is the base or premium 2010's perform great and just imagine what 5-10k can do to make it even better.
    For 10,000 you cannot and will not make your WRX into an STi, not even close..

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    For 10,000 you cannot and will not make your WRX into an STi, not even close..
    Truth.

You can make it as fast as it, or even handle as well as it, but it won't be the highquality build, nor the quality and improved parts that are on the STi. The tranny, diff, brakes, and suspension are worth the 10k increase in price alone, let alone the engine upgrades.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    The internals of the motor are better/different

the 6 speed

dccd

intercooler sprayer

brembo brakes

hid

diffs

underbody aero bits

suspension

Rex insurance will be cheaper. I was qouted an average of almost 1800 for 6 months of full compensation on an STI back in 07. My Rex runs 860/6 months today. Then it was 1200 back in 07. Yeah yeah I know what you lads are thinking. I had a lead foot for a while

If you're in no rush you might wait to see what the WB WRX is gonna be like. Meanwhile, you can do your entire research.
    Last edited by Dark WRX; 03-31-2010 at 10:02 PM.

if they had a base wrx with a 6 speed there wouldnt be any dicision making. i dont plan on buying it to mod it either. ive modded every car ive owned (minus my 05 civic/why bother!)and now that i have enough money i just want a car that performs well from the start(plus an spt exhaust for exhaust note)

any of you wrx owners with the 5 speed have an input here? is it a decent enough trans or is it a terd like im told? ive only ever driven an sti (my buddys 06) and he says that the 5 speeds break like nobodys business.

well i'll tell you this much, the civic isn't that much smaller then the wrx.if anything the civic my be bigger. i don't know how big your stroller is but there's a good chance you won't be able to fit it in the trunk of the wrx, the trunk is a good size but the size of the opening is not very big...so i'd say go wagon/hatch all the way.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast