New to the wonderful world of FI!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the wonderful world of FI! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all! My name is Matt, and I recently purchased a 2004 WRX wagon in World Rally Blue Pearl. It ...

New to the wonderful world of FI!

Hi all!

My name is Matt, and I recently purchased a 2004 WRX wagon in World Rally Blue Pearl.

It has 85k miles on it, and is almost stock- the previous owner put one of those cheap Spectre intakes on it, and that is the first thing I am replacing. I would like to see this car be quick, but be very reliable, as it is my DD.

I used to drive a 1999 2.5RS, but I sold that to buy the new one.

I look forward to learning tons about this new funny snail-looking thing!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!!

Definitely replace that intake!

K&N is my choice... but SPT and APS also make good intakes. I wouldn't buy any other.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Thank you, those links should definitely help! As far as the intake search goes, I've pretty much come up empty-handed, as I hear none of them keep the MAF sensor from going haywire. Since I'm not running a tune and I don't know when I'm going to get one (it's in the master plan, though) I'm not sure if I want to be running that risk of slight instability. I'm a perfectionist. Does anyone know of an intake that will mess up the readings the least? I was assuming the SPT SRI/CAI thing would do the least damage, since it was "Subaru genuine."

edit: I just read elsewhere that the SPT intake is "claimed" not to screw things up. We'll see.
    Last edited by mattej205; 03-29-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Update: The car now has a GrimmSpeed up pipe and a Cobb intake. I have a Cobb AP on the way (I got a great deal on it) and I will be running stage 1 until I get my exhaust. The exhaust I am going with is the Moore Performance exhaust. They are a company local to me who make VERY nice exhausts.

Thanks for all the advice!

Welcome... that is a very nice start, its good to see a new person actually read the stickys and research prior to modding...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome! Did you get the cobb sf intake heat shield??
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Welcome... that is a very nice start, its good to see a new person actually read the stickys and research prior to modding...
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Awesome! Did you get the cobb sf intake heat shield??
    No I did not, I actually picked up the Cobb used, so I have to go back and order that...

I Support ClubWRX
    definitely get that shield
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Update again: No Cobb accessport, guy backed out

no heat shield, layed off from work. car sits.

Update! Back to work, rear suspension blew a few months back (oops), looking at picking up some Tokico D-Spec struts and Swift wagon-specific springs to replace all four corners. Yea or nay? I also hit a deer two nights ago, so I need a new fender too. Grr. Thank you all for your continuing support!

Welcome, check the link in my sig for bugeye owners, most of it still applies.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I wound up going the opensource route, and got tuned by Jason J&S Dyno in Verona, PA. Mods were:

Cobb SF intake
    Scoobysport bellmouth catless downpipe
    Grimmspeed catless up pipe
    Grimmspeed EBCS

This is a video of the pull before the EBCS went on, I had 185whp and 172wtq at the stock boost numbers.

Final result was ~208whp and ~225wtq. I'm impressed!

I know next to nothing about tuning, but for some reason I keep overboosting, the fuel cut is set at 18psi, and my target peak is 16.5psi, but in 3-5 gears I hit the fuel cut at less than full throttle at around 4200-4500rpms.

I also installed a set of Tokico D-Spec struts and Swift springs.

This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

How was your experience with J&S? I'd like to have them dyno my car for before and after numbers or possibly even tune it. Just haven't been able to talk to anyone who has had their car tuned/dynoed there.
    Stink-eye Mob #17

2013 WRX STi Sedan

Jason is a real nice guy, and my experience with him has been awesome. The place is real laid back. The last number I *think* I heard for dyno pulls was $50 for three, and tuning I'm assuming is on a case-by-case basis. I'd give them a call!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.