$1000 budget for new 2010 mods - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 00 budget for new 2010 mods within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by poly_poly-man A little bit of engine management (especially a protune, not just generic ots maps) will actually ...

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    A little bit of engine management (especially a protune, not just generic ots maps) will actually make your engine last longer - better A/F ratio means detonation is MUCH less likely, etc.
    provided you find a reputable tuner and in terms of power gains, it won't be very cost effective on a stock motor without at least a tbe.

i'm just stating my personal opinion. buying a brand new car and modifying the engine past the power output intended by the engineers who designed it... it may cause issues.

if you had asked me this question about a month ago and i'd say do some suspension upgrades, get a tbe and a tune and you're good to go.

now, i have a spun rod bearing and a $5k problem on my hands. i've changed my oil between every 3-4k interval with synthetic and replaced sparkplugs at 60k (done by dealer), i don't race in any way. i've done 2 auto-x's but thats about it. no drag racing or drop cluth starts ever.

so my opinion still stands...keep it stock enjoy what you have, enjoy your warranty and if you want more power, save some cash and buy an sti.

end rant/

sorry had to vent, a little upset about my car
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    YES

You will be very pleased Even on the factory standard shifter.. it was a night and day improvement.

just remember.. USE THREADLOCK!!
    Excuse my ignorance but where would I pick up these bushings for the short shifter? Something my local auto shop will have or is it a special item I need to order? If you have any links can you please post them?

which again was why I initially made the mention of upgrading the sways/endlinks and shifter bushings as good places to start.
    performance alignment, lighter wheels and sticky tires next.

engine mods should really only happen after you get well bored with the car in factory form. Personally, the only reason I'd like to go and have my car tuned is that from the research I've done the factory maps in the 09+ cars ARE whats leading to failure. Remember the oem has to comply with emissions requirements and get breaks if the cars meet certain standards. Its not their problem if the car doesn't last past the warranty (this is all oem's.. not just subaru) .. so based on that, they'll tune the sucker down as tightly as possible so that they can boast about hp but still make those emissions regs. The result is usually a tune that isn't as rich as needed where its needed and that results in eventual damage. Especially if the cars are run hard.

Keep in mind too, there were guys out here with 09's and less than 10k on the clock with serious engine failures. Spun bearings, broken ring lands.. etc.

to a point yeah today's engineering and manufacturing of engines and output really is just about pushing the envelope as far as it should safely go.. however, a increase of 10-15% with conservative mapping shouldn't hurt anything. This is about tops of what is considered "stage I" or the bottom to mid of "stage II"

you're factory tune IS a "off the shelf" tune. So having it tuned isn't necessarily bad.

Honestly, I think the oem tune on my subaru is rough. Its not smooth like a oem car should be. Just my observation, but I think subaru could have done a much better job on the factory mapping.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by SirVilhelm View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but where would I pick up these bushings for the short shifter? Something my local auto shop will have or is it a special item I need to order? If you have any links can you please post them?
    see the links I posted in my earlier response OR .. check out

www.turninconcepts.com
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

which again was why I initially made the mention of upgrading the sways/endlinks and shifter bushings as good places to start.
    performance alignment, lighter wheels and sticky tires next.

engine mods should really only happen after you get well bored with the car in factory form. Personally, the only reason I'd like to go and have my car tuned is that from the research I've done the factory maps in the 09+ cars ARE whats leading to failure. Remember the oem has to comply with emissions requirements and get breaks if the cars meet certain standards. Its not their problem if the car doesn't last past the warranty (this is all oem's.. not just subaru) .. so based on that, they'll tune the sucker down as tightly as possible so that they can boast about hp but still make those emissions regs. The result is usually a tune that isn't as rich as needed where its needed and that results in eventual damage. Especially if the cars are run hard.

Keep in mind too, there were guys out here with 09's and less than 10k on the clock with serious engine failures. Spun bearings, broken ring lands.. etc.

to a point yeah today's engineering and manufacturing of engines and output really is just about pushing the envelope as far as it should safely go.. however, a increase of 10-15% with conservative mapping shouldn't hurt anything. This is about tops of what is considered "stage I" or the bottom to mid of "stage II"

you're factory tune IS a "off the shelf" tune. So having it tuned isn't necessarily bad.

Honestly, I think the oem tune on my subaru is rough. Its not smooth like a oem car should be. Just my observation, but I think subaru could have done a much better job on the factory mapping.
    yeah - subaru makes its cars run rich to avoid making a map for each car - rich is annoying, lean is dangerous. So tuning can really help your car in terms of mpg and hp - I figure stage 1 is what they wanted to do out of the factory, but couldn't because of the logistical difficulties of tuning every car. Stage 2 is what they'd do if they had easier target emissions limits, and beyond that is what they'd do if they wanted to make a more expensive version of the car.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I went with Kartboy bushings from Turn In Concepts.

http://turninconcepts.com/product_in...roducts_id=321

Thats what I got.. love it. However there are a bunch of other manufacturers and you dont have to go even that far with the kit.. TIC offers a kit with just the front and rear stay bushing that will still really sharpen things up.

http://turninconcepts.com/product_in...products_id=34

Must have missed this post earlier. Does the full 06+ 5MT Holy Shift Kit (Wide) come with instructions? I am used to working on cars but since this is my first Subaru I am feeling kinda noobish.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard
    +1 on the short throw w/urethane bushings. I couldnt get the rear stay bushing in, but the new front bushing and shifter rod are friggn' awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    the rear bushing is a bit of a *****.. I found I had to start each bolt and only thread in a touch at a time alternating between the two until they had enough tooth to stay in place.. then I tightened em up. If you have the rear stay bushing .. I suggest takin another crack at it and changing it. It makes a huge difference in side/side play. You'll get a slight bit more nvh in the cabin.. but not much.
    I don't know WTF is up with the '09 rear bushing, but the one I did was the worst bushing install I've done to date.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User Tattooed11Bravo's Avatar
    Here is something you might be interested in.

http://www.wrxtuners.com/classifieds...uct=1973&cat=5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.