Subaru WRX Forum banner

Hood scoops & water--safe?

35K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Pavia 
#1 ·
Hi all, newbie question here:

Is under the hood designed to be completely safe from any water that comes in through the scoop? Hard rain coming at you while youre driving for instance... Or if youre at the car wash and its spraying water right at the front of the car. I just wanna know if theres any major concerns with water getting under the hood, or if its totally safe.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I wouldn't worry about rain etc coming in the hood scoop. If anything the water/moist air makes the inter-cooler work 10x better!!! I drive my car in hard rain snow sun everything and it runs great.

I'm sure you can wash the car and engine, I wouldn't blast electrical stuff on purpose. I'm sure water could find it's way into stuff if you tried hard enough.

#4 ·
The air filter element isn't exposed to the hoodscoop.

The intercooler is aluminum, and won't crack when water is applied to it... even under heat. The 04-07 STi's actually had a water sprayer over the intercooler to cool it as a performance enhancement. It's 100% safe to get water in the hood scoop. When I drag race I have a 50/50 alcohol/water mixture in a spray bottle that I spray on the intercooler.

#5 ·
I dunked my car about a year ago in about 3 ft of water and none of the water got into my engine...

#9 ·
"Dunked" is an understatement...lol :rotfl:

Maybe you thought you were in a HMMWV or something ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.