just got my baby=] need mod approval!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on just got my baby=] need mod approval! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey everyone! just picked up a 2004 WRX (stock EJ205) a week ago, and I'm absolutely lovingg it. I always ...

just got my baby=] need mod approval!

hey everyone! just picked up a 2004 WRX (stock EJ205) a week ago, and I'm absolutely lovingg it. I always planned on modding it, and im hoping to get some good feedback from experienced tuners on my short term plans for my ride. thanks for the input!

Possible Mods (in this order)

Perrin up pipe
    TurboXS Utec
    COBB TBE

after these are in ill explore other parts like fuel injecters, FMIC, etc. any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User nickolasjamison's Avatar
    Check out this article here, in my opinion you already some great ideas for engine mods. Especially the up pipe. This thread below will help get you started.

First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    Last edited by nickolasjamison; 03-24-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: deleted useless information

I Support ClubWRX
    Great modlist!

The uppipe is the most important modification, and you have that first

The UTEC is a little misunderstood. Since so many people go the route of AccessPORT/OpenECU, it gets a bad rap. The UTEC is a powerful tool by itself, and when used in conjunction with OpenECU is tough to beat without a $1000+ EMS like AEM or Hydra. The only thing I would caution you with purchasing the UTEC is to contact area shops and make sure they tune it in case you want to ever stop using a base map and really let your car stretch its legs.

Cobb has a decent turboback. Not overly gaudy, not too loud.

Look for used parts in your search - especially with exhausts, this is a great way to save some $$.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Great mod list for sure. I've had both the UTEC and AccessPort. Both are good options. Happy modding.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

hey guys thanks for the input! only two more things i have to add:

i live in new york, so do you think these mods would put it below the emission standards?

also, i also love the sound of the TurboXS TBE as well, any complaints about it?

ill be sure to put up some pics soon!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 20 blk wrx 04
    i live in new york, so do you think these mods would put it below the emission standards?
    Yes, this would allow you to no longer legally pass annual inspection in NY.

With that said, many shops will do the OBDII and safety checks (lights, brakes, tire tread, etc.) and never throw your car on the lift to check emissions. They lose money on inspections unless they finish in ~15 minutes (depends on their hourly rate).

Quote Originally Posted by 20 blk wrx 04
    also, i also love the sound of the TurboXS TBE as well, any complaints about it?
    There are two: RFL / Standard.

Personally, I don't like canister exhausts. I prefer to keep things OEM (subtlety). I went with an Invidia downpipe and Borla catback.

On that note, don't be afraid to mix/match exhaust brands.

A downpipe is a downpipe. As long as you're purchasing a decent brand, you know the quality/fitment will be good.

The catback is the most important important part of exhaust pitch/tone. Choose based on that. Go on YouTube and listen to any kind of exhaust there are clips for. This will give you a slight idea of the sound of the exhaust, and make a list. Go to local meets and listen to setups people have. Then make your decision.

As I said before, look for parts used. It won't stay shiny on your car forever, so why not let someone else pay the premium? Take the time you take to decide on a catback to find a used downpipe. You can pick up used Invidia downpipes for $150 ($250+ new) if you are patient. Then focus on the catback.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.