06 wrx modding/tune question

This is a discussion on 06 wrx modding/tune question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've already done a lot of searching on the forum about first modifications and tuning, and after reading a lot, ...

06 wrx modding/tune question

I've already done a lot of searching on the forum about first modifications and tuning, and after reading a lot, I have some questions. I want to buy an stock 06 wrx, and do not want to void any warranties and mess with the engine (I do not have a lot of car knowledge)

1. Would I have to do a tune (I think you would use an cobb accessport) if I bought all SPT parts?

2. If I do simple mods like TBE or CBE would a tune/reflash be required so I don't hurt the engine?

Basically if I get this car, I want to do simple mods to get a little more power without messing with the engine (getting a tune would qualify as messing with the engine, correct?)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome.

You'd need to tune for a TBE, and if you have a warranty it's much easier for Subaru to blame an engine/drivetrain related issue on the downpipe and tune. SPT doesn't make downpipes as you may know.

You don't need a tune for a CBE, and it would be exceedingly difficult for Subaru to blame an engine failure on one that's not an SPT.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

so if I was to use all SPT parts, (such as a CBE), a tune would not be required? does SPT make parts for other year WRX's besides 08's and up?

That's right, no tune needed for any SPT parts. They do make parts for 2006 as well, cat backs, intakes, heat shields, etc... A cat back (and intake for that matter) isn't a performance enhancer since the stock downpipe is the bottleneck, but it helps when paired with an aftermarket downpipe.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

okay I gotcha. So the downpipe is the major upgrade I would be looking for. So the downpipe and CBE would be idea. With an after market down pipe would a tune be required?

I was doing research on tuning on the Cobb website and it said that with certain mods you HAVE to tune because it will hurt then engine..

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    For the SPT intake you may need a tune. There is a reflash available from Subaru with this specifically in mind for SPT intake owners, but it's not free.

Also, in order for SPT parts to be warrantied they must be purchased and installed at a Subaru dealership.

okay I see what you're saying. I'm just trying to weed through all the different options I have with upgrading parts. It's a little confusing at first, but I'm slowly understanding it. Doing a tune just seems like a life or death thing to me - what if it messes up and screws up the engine?

If you do not want to void your warranty, which it seems you are worried about, ask the dealership what mods THEY can give you, which is usually through SPT, to give you the HP upgrade you may need. Its as simple as that.
    1.Spt intake
    2.Spt catback.

After that, anything else that you do outside of the dealership can
    come into question, regardless of what you do. It is up to you to decide.
    As for me, I have a 07 with a four year warranty, but i decided to do some things for myself. But, my car was Brand New. I took a chance and every thing is fine even until today 2010.
    Its great to ask for advice, but the final decision lays with you, some take chances and some dont.

leave it stock. SPT catback exhaust for sound and thats all. If your looking for noticeable horsepower increase get a different car with more, unless you know a tuner or have a large bank account don't mess with intake or downpipe or anything more than that.

Mine has been nothing but problems, and i wish to god mine was stock when i bought it so i wouldn't have half the problems i do now, actually just listed it for sale....
    06 WRX ( a work in progress )

95 Tacoma ( Ol' Faithful )

I'm new.... Enlighten me.

did you buy your wrx already modded? or did you do upgrades yourself and it got messed up?

Quote Originally Posted by birdman200 View Post
    did you buy your wrx already modded? or did you do upgrades yourself and it got messed up?
    already modded. The only thing i did was have it tuned and put an SPT intake on it.. because i was told it would fix it. Yep..... NOPE!
    06 WRX ( a work in progress )

95 Tacoma ( Ol' Faithful )

I'm new.... Enlighten me.