Hey everyone, another newbie here from Las Vegas, Nevada. I'm inheriting an 04 WRX from my gf of 3 years (you know what's next ) and it needs some love. Now that I'm allowed to put money into it, I'm making plans and getting the car back in shape.
1) Summer is almost here and it just about needs new tires. Has crappy all seasons H speed rating, soft and squishy, upgrading to Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs beginning of next month. They're 225/50's instead of stock 205/55's but I've read they'll be fine.
2) Along with the tires I'll be getting an alignment and all that good stuff. I don't know as if my gf has ever done any of that. She hasn't in the time we've been dating and that's 3 yrs.
3) Just did the delete mod tonight and LOVE the new sound. Should I buy a corner pipe to connect the stock intake inlet? If so, who from? Seems it doesn't matter that much, just the possibility of getting colder air in.
4) Already put in a Perrin air filter when I got the oil changed a bit ago. Believe it or not, I noticed a difference (small but still noticed); probably because the stock one was nasty dirty. This whole time I thought it was being replaced when she got her oil changed...
Anyway, I read about the disadvantages of oil type filters so I dropped in at Autozone and picked up MAF sensor cleaner. I was VERY careful and cleaned that grime coated sucker. Strange thing is the car used to jerk/buck when I let off the gas too fast and when I went for a test drive tonight (after cleaning/drying), it doesn't do it any more. Strange?
-- Planned upgrades/"mods" --
5) I've read about the cat in the uppipe so I plan on taking care of that asap, likely next month.
6) It's nearing in on 90K miles and although it seems to be running great, I'll be taking it in for a full checkup/tuneup.
7) I want to bump up the boost a bit but I've read all about the ways NOT to do that, lol. I'll just be taking it in to have someone pro. tune it. I'm not sure if a Subaru dealership will do that when I take it in for the 90K tuneup but if not, I'll have it done elsewhere or have both done elsewhere.
8) I've read about the stock boost gauge not being very accurate and when I went for a test drive tonight I made sure to check max boost. I'm getting about .083 MPa which is about 12.04 PSI in 4/5th gears. From what I've read it should be running 13.5 PSI stock. So, either the gauge is off or the car needs some fixin. I hope the tuneup will take care of any issues but I'd like to put on a more accurate gauge if the stock one is indeed not very accurate. Any recommendations?
9) My gf was told during an oil change (quite awhile ago) that the radiator had a hairline crack. They quoted her at $600-700. I took a look at it myself and found no indications of cracks, damage or the like. I can get an all aluminum one for ~$350 that has good reviews but what would you guys recommend I do? Replace anyway to be safe, wait till the stock one breaks or upgrade anyway since it'll provide much better cooling which saves the car anyway? Also, the replacement procedure doesn't seem that hard but is it something I better have the pros do?
-- Suggestions?? --
I know none of this stuff is really mods but it's important stuff before I can actually think about real mods. Any recommendations on things I should do first or add to the list? Thanks for the help!