Newbie - 04 WRX in Vegas - Upgrade list? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Newbie - 04 WRX in Vegas - Upgrade list? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ditch the Perrin filter. It has the filtration ability of a chain link fence....

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ditch the Perrin filter. It has the filtration ability of a chain link fence.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Ditch the Perrin filter. It has the filtration ability of a chain link fence.
    Do you have any evidence or information to support this?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Abiet their filter is thicker than the HKS mushroom top. Foam is great at holding more dirt before clogging, but in doing so you sacrifice filtration.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Abiet their filter is thicker than the HKS mushroom top. Foam is great at holding more dirt before clogging, but in doing so you sacrifice filtration.
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Check out Perrin Performance - Foam Filters Q&A

There's a video a little ways down (after explaining the science and facts about filters) demonstrating filtering capability of a quality foam based filter. An important aspect here is the quality of foam (such as cells per inch, cell density). The HKS filter in the link you provided likely has poor quality CPI or something or is a dry filter. Oil does a lot to help catch dust/dirt.

I'm not sure about the HKS but Perrin filters are also two pass. There are two pieces of foam dust/dirt must pass through. The second one has a higher CPI for the finer dust that might get through the first.

Another interesting thing to think about is most off road vehicles use foam filters. Bring air filtering into the home and apply it to high air flow uses; a vacuum. Most [quality] vacuums use foam filters or several foam filters of varying CPI to catch all the crap.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jremick View Post
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Check out Perrin Performance - Foam Filters Q&A

There's a video a little ways down (after explaining the science and facts about filters) demonstrating filtering capability of a quality foam based filter. An important aspect here is the quality of foam (such as cells per inch, cell density). The HKS filter in the link you provided likely has poor quality CPI or something or is a dry filter. Oil does a lot to help catch dust/dirt.

I'm not sure about the HKS but Perrin filters are also two pass. There are two pieces of foam dust/dirt must pass through. The second one has a higher CPI for the finer dust that might get through the first.

Another interesting thing to think about is most off road vehicles use foam filters. Bring air filtering into the home and apply it to high air flow uses; a vacuum. Most [quality] vacuums use foam filters or several foam filters of varying CPI to catch all the crap.
    I've rebuked that link and video as nothing but an missinformative sales pitch in the past.

And again, vacuums and off-roaders use them simply because they hold more before clogging. No other reason.

I've rebuked that link and video as nothing but an missinformative sales pitch in the past.

And again, vacuums and off-roaders use them simply because they hold more before clogging. No other reason.
    lol, sorry but I disagree and so do many who operate vehicles in high dust applications. It's common knowledge among those in high dust applications (dirt bikes, off road) that foam catches and holds more dust and dirt, doing a better job of filtration. Again, this will depend on the foam quality and CPI.

Also, many higher end vacuums boast clean air, which requires a high CPI foam filter. The quantity isn't really an issue any more because newer vacuum technology dumps the majority of the crap in a canister. The super fine particles are what they're concerned about, which they use a foam filter to catch.

I may be a newbie to the WRX but I'm certainly not a newbie in several other areas where similar principals apply.

Also, I'd like to hear your reasoning on debunking the video on the page I linked.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.