Another new guy with the same old q's
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Another new guy with the same old q's within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 04 WRX. Mods are; Helix Downpipe with Catback 3'' exhaust K&N Typhoon Intake HKS BOV Cobb AP ...

Another new guy with the same old q's

I have a 04 WRX. Mods are;

Helix Downpipe with Catback 3'' exhaust
    K&N Typhoon Intake
    HKS BOV
    Cobb AP running Stage 1 92 map
    Tower Strut Bar (Not sure if that counts as a mod)

I recently purchased an HKS Turboback exhaust and an AEM TRU Boost Gauge. I just started reading some a few forums and some guys say that I shouldnt go that road with my current setup. Just wondering what guys with a helluva lot more Subie experience think. Im still searching the site for the DIY for installing the two. Any light would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo

-Anthony

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Before you worry about a boost gauge you need to flash to the proper map ASAP. you CANNOT run a stage 1 map with the helix downpipe you currently have. Flash to stage two immediately. I would not drive the car or go into boost until you have switched maps

also- if you haven't already you need to get a catless uppipe ASAP.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Can you explain please. I thought I couldn't go Stage 2 without installing the T-Back exhaust first?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    you DO have a turboback exhaust already.

turboback = downpipe + catback.

how long have you been running the stage 1 map?
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 03-21-2010 at 06:51 AM.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

The main part of stage 2 is the downpipe, the cat back exhaust helps out but the downpipe is what puts you at stage 2. With the downpipe you are in stage 2, odds are you are running lean now and that is why you need to flash to stage 2 asap.

Indeed. Flash to stage 2 first, then quickly buy / install a catless Uppipe. Oh, and welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by pdrpowerofWRX; 03-21-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to greet our new member...
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Ive been running the map for a while now. At least since December. That would explain a lot. I really hate sounding like a noob, but I have to learn somehow. When I drive I smell gas a lot. I thought it was because I changed my fuel pump to the Walbro 255. Also when I drive aggressively, I sometimes hear a loud pop sounding like its coming from my exhaust.

I am going to change the map right and see how it does. Thanks for the help. If you guys are in Hawaii anytime soon, first rounds on me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02211.JPG   DSC02212.JPG   DSC02213.JPG  

Ok so today my spark plugs flooded. My car has 42k on it. I replaced them at 40k. So I figured I was running too rich with the stock type plugs. So I bumped up to the NGK Iridiums and a fuel system cleaner. Has a lot of black soot coming out of the exhaust and my baby sounds bad. Hope it helps.

[QUOTE=bcounty;2592385]I have a 04 WRX. Mods are;

K&N Typhoon Intake
    HKS BOV

I recently purchased an HKS Turboback exhaust and an AEM TRU Boost Gauge. I just started reading some a few forums and some guys say that I shouldnt go that road with my current setup. Just wondering what guys with a helluva lot more Subie experience think. Im still searching the site for the DIY for installing the two. Any light would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo

i have a cobb ap and there is no stage 1 92 only stage 1 91 or stage 1 93 same for stage 2 is this a map you purchased?

[QUOTE=akplaaya;2593760]
    Quote Originally Posted by bcounty View Post
    I have a 04 WRX. Mods are;

K&N Typhoon Intake
    HKS BOV

i have a cobb ap and there is no stage 1 92 only stage 1 91 or stage 1 93 same for stage 2 is this a map you purchased?
    My bad its 91.

As a final reply to this thread, I ordered a HKS Up-pipe. As it turns out my O2 sensor was very loose. Thats where the sound was coming from. I didn't really catch it till it came out giving me a Harley sounding exhaust leak. All is well now. Thanks again guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.