TBE or not TBE?

This is a discussion on TBE or not TBE? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all. new to the club but have owned bone stock 02 wagon for almost a year now. 91k. thing ...

TBE or not TBE?

Hi all. new to the club but have owned bone stock 02 wagon for almost a year now. 91k. thing is, i've been combing these forums and, though the car has been very well maintained, i've got it into my head that my up-pipe with a pre cat in it could detonate. so i picked up an STI up pipe. when i call the performance shop however for an install (i have no tools and i move a lot), they said they have a 3" OBX cat-less TBE they'd sell me for $400. who doesn't want 30 extra hp (and 3 more MPG)? BUT the NOISE! i'm all about sleepers, and when she isn't passing yet another tank of crap fuel, i'm ok with stock power. still, it's got me thinking. the price is good. what sort of things can i do to hush the fart can aspect within a reasonable budget and without killing the power? what would the real HP gain be on my stocker with the OBX TBE if i had a Cat welded in (for sound and conscience)? not much, i'd reckon. maybe i answered my own question.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by valueape View Post
    Hi all. new to the club but have owned bone stock 02 wagon for almost a year now. 91k. thing is, i've been combing these forums and, though the car has been very well maintained, i've got it into my head that my up-pipe with a pre cat in it could detonate. so i picked up an STI up pipe. when i call the performance shop however for an install (i have no tools and i move a lot), they said they have a 3" OBX cat-less TBE they'd sell me for $400. who doesn't want 30 extra hp (and 3 more MPG)? BUT the NOISE! i'm all about sleepers, and when she isn't passing yet another tank of crap fuel, i'm ok with stock power. still, it's got me thinking. the price is good. what sort of things can i do to hush the fart can aspect within a reasonable budget and without killing the power? what would the real HP gain be on my stocker with the OBX TBE if i had a Cat welded in (for sound and conscience)? not much, i'd reckon. maybe i answered my own question.
    Good choice with the catless UP -- tuned wrxs are known to blow the cats straight through the turbo.

The cat isn't what quiets the system for a TBE. It's the muffler. If you want to have a quiet exhaust with 3" piping, pick one up with a resonator (borla hushback for example).

Still, $400 is a good price for Stage II.

What engine management are you running?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

it's an 02 so i don't need EM (i'm told). no other mods. none planned, really. except maybe some suspension - sway bars and the like. won't be going fully blown with Dyno sessions and EM and all that. figured that if i really need more juice i'd step into a used STI perhaps.

I Support ClubWRX
    If the person trying to sell you the turbo back exhaust told you you dont need engine management go somewhere else.

You absolutely need engine management to run a turbo back exhaust+up pipe.

Also have you ever heard a catless wrx with 3" exhaust and a flow thru muffler?? Hardly fart can material.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    You absolutely need engine management to run a turbo back exhaust+up pipe.
    well that settles it. as fun as it sounds, i really don't want to get into all of that. i love the rumble and i have envied wicked exhaust notes. but that ain't really my style. i'm more of a "hood scoop delete" WOT guy. thanks for the input. see you around maybe, Bo (i'm in ashland).

I Support ClubWRX
    you probably saw my 03 sonic yellow wrx with morettes several times then

Id suggest picking it up and running the cat back portion til you decide to go stage 2. If nothing else you can always trade it later on even if you have to add cash.

Let me guess.... Hewitts? Never go there..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    This shop your going to sounds extremely shady. I most certainly wouldn't buy their exhaust, and I don't think I'd be going there again.

No, you don't need EM, but you'd benefit from it.
    Last edited by brfatal; 03-16-2010 at 11:15 PM.