Feedback on Accessories Needed
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Feedback on Accessories Needed within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, i'm in the process of picking out the options that will be put on my black 2010 5-door. ...

Feedback on Accessories Needed

Hello everyone, i'm in the process of picking out the options that will be put on my black 2010 5-door. I'm leasing the car so everything has to be from SPT. Any opinions on the following would help me out a lot :

Shifter Bushing

Sti Short Throw Shifter - I've driven cars with short throws before and didn't really like the vague feeling that they had. Is this true with this one or does the car retain the positive shift action that you get with the stock part?

Boost Gauge

Turbo Heat Shield - I would like to do some road racing this summer and would like to know if anyone has any experience with this part. Does it really keep temps down and power up?

Any info from you guys would be great! Thanks, and I look forward to being a part of the group.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Road racing a leased car?! Ha, well I have the SPT Turbo heat shied...hmm...it seems like its more for looks. I definitely kept my stock OEM Heat shield on underneath it...I am sure it works but IMO its more for looks.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by alphac View Post
    Hello everyone, i'm in the process of picking out the options that will be put on my black 2010 5-door. I'm leasing the car so everything has to be from SPT. Any opinions on the following would help me out a lot :

Shifter Bushing

Sti Short Throw Shifter - I've driven cars with short throws before and didn't really like the vague feeling that they had. Is this true with this one or does the car retain the positive shift action that you get with the stock part?

I know a former Subaru parts manager who always talks crap about these.

Boost Gauge

Turbo Heat Shield - I would like to do some road racing this summer and would like to know if anyone has any experience with this part. Does it really keep temps down and power up?

It's really just an aesthetic piece as it's meant to be used in conjunction with the stock heatshield. Though, I'd imagine it would help a little considering it is an extra barrier.

Any info from you guys would be great! Thanks, and I look forward to being a part of the group.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by alphac
    Hello everyone, i'm in the process of picking out the options that will be put on my black 2010 5-door. I'm leasing the car so everything has to be from SPT.
    It doesn't have to be SPT. Just do a swap of any aftermarket part before bringing it back to the dealership for service or warranty work.

Shifter Bushing

Aftermarket parts are available at a lower cost, and they perform better.

Boost Gauge
    Always good to have.

As brfatal said, there's a disclaimer in the description that says this is to be used in conjunction with the OEM heat shield. This is more of a "bling" factor. Any functionality that it gives would be minimal. You decide if it's worth the $$.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

I'm not looking for bling on the car, so the heat shield just got nixed.

Lytlec, road racing may have been an overstatement. There is a great track near where I live that has open lapping on fridays. It looks like it will be a lot of fun.

I know that the spt exhaust sounds better than stock, but does anyone know about the actual performance gains? Like I said, I am leasing the car but I plan on buying it after the lease is over. I know that I will want to start modding it at that point, and I don't want to have to go back and upgrade the cat-back because of minimal gains. So, my question is should I go ahead with the spt system or hold off until I purchase the car and go with something better?

I've also heard that the stock tires the wrx comes with are crap for the winter. I live in Nebraska, so I need to budget for a capable snow tire. Any suggestions as far as which one to go with?

Quote Originally Posted by alphac View Post
    I've also heard that the stock tires the wrx comes with are crap for the winter. I live in Nebraska, so I need to budget for a capable snow tire. Any suggestions as far as which one to go with?
    Dunlop Wintersport 3D, Wintersport M3, or Blizzak LM-25.

I have 3Ds on my WRX and have had the other two on other cars. All are excellent in snow/ice but still good in dry conditions.

And yes, the SP Sport01's are crap in snow.

btw, SPT shifter is a nice improvement over the rubbery stock setup. Mine came with it and I've been farily pleased with it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.