I'm new, so i don't know, so i hope you'll answer =]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm new, so i don't know, so i hope you'll answer =] within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just a few questions about my 05 wrx sedan. What intakes have the best bang/buck? k&n i hear are overpriced. ...

I'm new, so i don't know, so i hope you'll answer =]

Just a few questions about my 05 wrx sedan.

What intakes have the best bang/buck? k&n i hear are overpriced.

What my buddy got me a dash 3 guage mount to take the place of my clock and i know i should put boost, and maybe an oil temp guage but what about the 3rd?

More on the guages is there any way to change the Backlight color of my tack/speedometer?

I'm new to WRXs i'm not a complete idiot when it comes to subarus but yeah... some help would be nice.

Thanks!
    WRC and Thrashing

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WRC Thrasher View Post
    Just a few questions about my 05 wrx sedan.

What intakes have the best bang/buck? k&n i hear are overpriced.

What my buddy got me a dash 3 guage mount to take the place of my clock and i know i should put boost, and maybe an oil temp guage but what about the 3rd?

More on the guages is there any way to change the Backlight color of my tack/speedometer?

I'm new to WRXs i'm not a complete idiot when it comes to subarus but yeah... some help would be nice.

Thanks!
    Hey welcome to the club!
    For the intake, save you're money its not worth it.
    I would do boost wide band Air/Fuel, boost, and oil pressure.
    There are ways to change the color, but its a pain.

I would get a uppipe, turbo back exhaust, and a pro tune to start off.
    Blobeye Syndicate #505

Quote Originally Posted by redwrx04 View Post
    Hey welcome to the club!
    For the intake, save you're money its not worth it.
    I would do boost wide band Air/Fuel, boost, and oil pressure.
    There are ways to change the color, but its a pain.

I would get a uppipe, turbo back exhaust, and a pro tune to start off.
    Yeah i actually bought the Car with a skunk 2 catback on it.

So that just leaves headers and upipe before the turbo, and a downpipe for the turbo back if im not mistaken?
    Oh and about the down pipe. Catted, or non catted? non catted is illegal in my state but i dont think ill get noticed, just switch it back to stock b4 my smogs. Just want to know which is better as cattless is cheaper.

Yeah i figured as much, I'll have to do some more googling on the gauge colors.

so Trubo boost, Air/fuel, and oil temp? that sounds good to me almost forgot about Air/fuel guages.
    Last edited by WRC Thrasher; 03-14-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    WRC and Thrashing

I Support ClubWRX
    Gp moto elbow, silencer delete and a k&n panel filter, up pipe, downpipe, catback exhaus and a protune.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Gp moto elbow, silencer delete and a k&n panel filter, up pipe, downpipe, catback exhaus and a protune.
    So what's the elbow? familiar with most parts but not completely car savy. And just the filter not the whole intake? damn saves me some cash.
    WRC and Thrashing

I Support ClubWRX
    Most tuners will say the stock intake is good for 400 HP. Drop a panel filter in and call it a day. The GPMoto elbow goes from the snorkus to the air box after you remove the silencer from the inner fender.

I Support ClubWRX
    in my opinion don't get the elbow delete.. it's easier to get a wet filter.

if you get a/f gauge.... GET WIDEBAND!!! You have to install a sensor with it. If you don't.. it's a worthless gauge.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRC Thrasher
    So that just leaves headers and upipe before the turbo, and a downpipe for the turbo back if im not mistaken?
    Oh and about the down pipe. Catted, or non catted? non catted is illegal in my state but i dont think ill get noticed, just switch it back to stock b4 my smogs. Just want to know which is better as cattless is cheaper.
    Tampering with ECDs (e.g., catalytic converters) is illegal in every state. Since you live in CA, you have the strictest state in regards to vehicle modifications.

so Trubo boost, Air/fuel, and oil temp? that sounds good to me almost forgot about Air/fuel guages.
    Whatever you do, buy quality gauges; an inaccurate gauge is worse than none at all. Take any warranty / customer service claims with the cheap gauges with a grain of salt, because it still requires you to uninstall the gauge, ship it out, wait for it to get returned, then reinstall hoping it's fixed. How many times do you want to do that? A few to look into would be Defi, Greddy, and Omori.

Boost
    EGT / WBO2
    Oil Temp / Oil Pressure

Unless you have an aftermarket downpipe, don't bother with WBO2. Oil temperature/pressure is a semi-common debate. Some people recommend oil pressure, some recommend oil temp. I went with an oil temperature gauge, FWIW.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Tampering with ECDs (e.g., catalytic converters) is illegal in every state. Since you live in CA, you have the strictest state in regards to vehicle modifications.
    Colorado recently adopted CARB style laws.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    Colorado recently adopted CARB style laws.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    in my opinion don't get the elbow delete.. it's easier to get a wet filter.

if you get a/f gauge.... GET WIDEBAND!!! You have to install a sensor with it. If you don't.. it's a worthless gauge.
    Ok, thanks for all the help everyone that responded.

I'll have to look into it more, but what wet filter brand would you recommend?
    WRC and Thrashing

I Support ClubWRX
    Wet filter? I guess I could see that.. We just don't get much wet here..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRC Thrasher View Post
    Ok, thanks for all the help everyone that responded.

I'll have to look into it more, but what wet filter brand would you recommend?
    He ment that keeping the snorkus and adding the gpmoto elbow could result in rain/water getting your filter wet. I've had the elbow on all my cars with zero issues but we don't receive much wet stuff, + my cars don't see much drive time in the wet to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    He ment that keeping the snorkus and adding the gpmoto elbow could result in rain/water getting your filter wet. I've had the elbow on all my cars with zero issues but we don't receive much wet stuff, + my cars don't see much drive time in the wet to be honest
    lol well being in california i don't see that being an issue... Always sunny here.

Couple more questions on the gauges, Are prosport gauges getting a good rep? they seem to have a wide selection on colors and different gauges.

And i was looking around and i heard it was possible to get STi gauges like tac/speed onto a wrx?
    WRC and Thrashing

I Support ClubWRX
    Couple more questions on the gauges, Are prosport gauges getting a good rep? they seem to have a wide selection on colors and different gauges.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    Take any warranty / customer service claims with the cheap gauges with a grain of salt, because it still requires you to uninstall the gauge, ship it out, wait for it to get returned, then reinstall hoping it's fixed. How many times do you want to do that? A few to look into would be Defi, Greddy, and Omori.
    That's one of the gauge manufacturers I was talking about in this post. With that said, some people love them, some people hate them. It's the same gauges as Glowshift, so why spend the extra $$ for the Prosport name?

Prosport:

Glowshift:

At the end of my quote, I provided you with three gauge manufacturers that have an awesome reputation. You will spend a little bit more for the gauges, but it's worth it, IMHO. If you can't afford their gauges now, put aside some $$ until you can.

And i was looking around and i heard it was possible to get STi gauges like tac/speed onto a wrx?
    You'll need to swap clusters, which could cause an issue come inspection time. I don't know enough about this mod and inspections to give you 100% factual information, however.

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast