I need some advice choosing...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I need some advice choosing... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Whats goin on guys... I been searching for a car for a year now and ill be buying a new ...

I need some advice choosing...

Whats goin on guys...
    I been searching for a car for a year now and ill be buying a new car next month (I got into the police academy and i need a reliable car to get me there and back). I was on Carmax and looking a car with a 28k budget. I was looking at getting a 2007 BMW 335i with 17k miles. It is a nasty car but i dont want to deal with the price of fixing it if it breaks down. So my brother called me and told me about the 2010 WRX and how fast it was. So i been looking for a dealer in the D.C. area that has some in their inventory. I have some questions though..
    1. How is the warranty with Subaru?
    2. What is a reasonable price or what price did you pay?
    3. Any problems with the WRX i should know about?
    4. What trim should i get?
    5. Whats the deal with people ordering theirs? Is it hard to find WRX's at dealerships?

Thanks for helping, I need to really decide if i want to go down the path for a WRX..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ssean2266 View Post
    Whats goin on guys...
    I been searching for a car for a year now and ill be buying a new car next month (I got into the police academy and i need a reliable car to get me there and back). I was on Carmax and looking a car with a 28k budget. I was looking at getting a 2007 BMW 335i with 17k miles. It is a nasty car but i dont want to deal with the price of fixing it if it breaks down. So my brother called me and told me about the 2010 WRX and how fast it was. So i been looking for a dealer in the D.C. area that has some in their inventory. I have some questions though..
    5. Whats the deal with people ordering theirs? Is it hard to find WRX's at dealerships?

Thanks for helping, I need to really decide if i want to go down the path for a WRX..
    I was in the same position as you were when I started looking for a new car. Since I drove a Lexus previously, I wanted a good balance of performance vs luxury, so I looked at BMW's, Lexus, Infinity's, Audi's, Mazda's, and Acura's. I test drove a BMW 335i, IS350, MS3, Acura TL/TSX, WRX, G35/G37, Audi A4, and a couple others. Out of all the cars, I must say one of my favorites was the BMW 335i. It was a fun car and put down impressive power. However, I have multiple friends that have BMWs (M3, 335, 330, etc...) that said it was hard on the wallet when it came for maintenance and repairs (especially if you are buying used). They loved their cars, but it was VERY expensive to maintain. With that in mind, I crossed the BMW off my list. The reason I chose the WRX (hatch) over the other cars is due to the AWD, the utility (cargo space), and it is fast/fun/affordable.

1. Warranty? I haven't had to take my car in yet so maybe someone else is better adept to answer this...but from what I hear, they are not too mod friendly. I plan to leave my car stock until after the warranty ends.

2. I bought the limited edition and paid invoice for it. In the end it was like 29k with accessories (short shifter, boost gauge, media hub, arm rest, and a few other things....) The limited version comes with HID's, full leather, and satellite radio. The HID's and leather were the deciding factors for me and I don't regret my purchase at all.

3. If you go with the WRX, stick with the 2009's or 2010's. There was a huge improvement from 2008 to 2009. If you choose a 2009, make sure you get one with a build date later than 9/08 (engine issues).

4. Depends what you need...(do you want leather? nav? sunroof? HID's?)

5. Depends on your area, do a quick search.

Good luck on your decision.
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2010 OBP WRX Limited 5-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by ssean2266
    Dealerships stance on modifications varies - your best bet is to discuss modifications with the service manager.

Too many variables (location, supply/demand, etc.). Your best bet is to obtain your own financing (don't use theirs). Print out prices from KBB, NADA, and Edmunds, and go in with the cheapest one. The dealership will counter with the most expensive one.

Depends what options matter to you. An audiophile will not be satisfied with any OEM stereo setup, so keep that in mind. Personally, I hardly use my radio, so it doesn't matter to me.

Ordered cars often haven't been test driven, the options are completely up to you (you're not stuck with what's there), etc. If you don't mind the wait, then ordering one is a possibility. However, if a car has sat on the lot for a while, you've got a better chance of a lower price since the dealer will be looking to move the vehicle.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by ssean2266 View Post
    Whats goin on guys...

Hmm...what is a nasty car?

At any rate, I think you can get most of your answers by searching here or on Nasioc, or simply by test driving a few different cars with various trims and options. As far as buying in the DC area it depends on how picky you are. If you buy something in stock you have a lot more room for negotiation; however, if you order one then you're locked into a price and who knows what kind of financing will be available when it arrives (assuming you don't have $25k in your pocket).

I did A LOT of shopping around before I bought my '09 and found Herb Gordon and Stohlman to be the most competitively priced. I tried working with a few other dealerships and most others stayed firm on a near MSRP price () and low-balled on my trade. And let me say it really sets the tone of negotiation when someone offers half the blue book value for a trade. I bought mine at Herb Gordon and was/am happy with my experience there. They were pretty fair and honest up front (exception: pricing for accessories not already on the car) and they've done a fine job handling some warranty work.

Sorry, when i said nasty i meant that its really fast. It also is a twin turbo. But yeah, my brother has been trying to talk me into a WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
    I was in the same position as you were when I started looking for a new car. Since I drove a Lexus previously, I wanted a good balance of performance vs luxury, so I looked at BMW's, Lexus, Infinity's, Audi's, Mazda's, and Acura's. I test drove a BMW 335i, IS350, MS3, Acura TL/TSX, WRX, G35/G37, Audi A4, and a couple others. Out of all the cars, I must say one of my favorites was the BMW 335i. It was a fun car and put down impressive power. However, I have multiple friends that have BMWs (M3, 335, 330, etc...) that said it was hard on the wallet when it came for maintenance and repairs (especially if you are buying used). They loved their cars, but it was VERY expensive to maintain. With that in mind, I crossed the BMW off my list. The reason I chose the WRX (hatch) over the other cars is due to the AWD, the utility (cargo space), and it is fast/fun/affordable.

1. Warranty? I haven't had to take my car in yet so maybe someone else is better adept to answer this...but from what I hear, they are not too mod friendly. I plan to leave my car stock until after the warranty ends.

2. I bought the limited edition and paid invoice for it. In the end it was like 29k with accessories (short shifter, boost gauge, media hub, arm rest, and a few other things....) The limited version comes with HID's, full leather, and satellite radio. The HID's and leather were the deciding factors for me and I don't regret my purchase at all.

3. If you go with the WRX, stick with the 2009's or 2010's. There was a huge improvement from 2008 to 2009. If you choose a 2009, make sure you get one with a build date later than 9/08 (engine issues).

4. Depends what you need...(do you want leather? nav? sunroof? HID's?)

5. Depends on your area, do a quick search.

Good luck on your decision.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I planned on getting a 2010 hatch with an extended warranty. Apparently the standard exhaust is pretty weak so ill get the SPT exhaust system and short shifter. The Nav is out, i want to stick below 30k. I want the HIDs and leather but i doubt ill be able to swing it.

If you are considering a BMW just be sure to get a good feel for an Impreza as there is a huge decrease in interior quality. I'm definitely not trashing on Subaru either, it simply isn't a luxury car; however you do get performance, reliability, and plenty of features. I know someone who has a 2005 S4 and I would to some extent consider the two cars comparable until you get inside. Let's face it, Subies have pretty cheap interiors with all the hard plastic that easily scratches and minimal sound insulation. It is really what you prefer and what you can afford or want to spend on a car.

And I disagree with what was said above about finding your own financing. If you qualify for the best rate financing through Subaru (i.e. Chase) will likely be better than your bank or credit union in this market; however, you need to look at all factors like if they have rebates for buying the car with cash then crunch the numbers. Many, many factors to consider here so it depends on your personal sitation.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    If you are considering a BMW just be sure to get a good feel for an Impreza as there is a huge decrease in interior quality. I'm definitely not trashing on Subaru either, it simply isn't a luxury car; however you do get performance, reliability, and plenty of features. I know someone who has a 2005 S4 and I would to some extent consider the two cars comparable until you get inside. Let's face it, Subies have pretty cheap interiors with all the hard plastic that easily scratches and minimal sound insulation. It is really what you prefer and what you can afford or want to spend on a car.

And I disagree with what was said above about finding your own financing. If you qualify for the best rate financing through Subaru (i.e. Chase) will likely be better than your bank or credit union in this market; however, you need to look at all factors like if they have rebates for buying the car with cash then crunch the numbers. Many, many factors to consider here so it depends on your personal sitation.
    Thanks, my brother has the 335i and he thinks i should go with the WRX. For the same price i can get the 135i or 335i with sport package. I would go through my bank for financing, i can get a 4.24%. This is my first purchase so i dont know much about buying a car. My one friend has a 07' WRX i think? and he loves his. He think i should go with the WRX also so i may go down that road. Now i have to find one...

This is a true statement. Don't expect Subaru's interiors to be nearly as nice as a Lexus, Audi, or BMW.

You need to go in knowing the WRX's interior is inferior to a luxury sedan/coupe (of course this is debatable by many) and you will hear rattles.
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2010 OBP WRX Limited 5-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

You didn't say how long you'd finance the car. I just checked the Subaru website and...

2.9% Financing
    2.9% Financing on All 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Models
    Offer Ends March 31, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
    You need to go in knowing the WRX's interior is inferior to a luxury sedan/coupe (of course this is debatable by many) and you will hear rattles.
    Yep, I've given up on mine. It isn't terrible and not like I really care with how loud my exhaust is.

You didn't say how long you'd finance the car. I just checked the Subaru website and...

2.9% Financing
    2.9% Financing on All 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Models
    Offer Ends March 31, 2010
    Oh, sorry. Im getting a 60 month loan. I would like to get that 2.9% but i doubt ill be able to buy one this month.

Hey what's going on? Well I'm in the market to buying a new car and I am really liking the wrx. I was given a price for the wrx premium fully load with nav leather sun roof fog light and the the rest of the good stuff for 28800. So I'm going to try and get it down lower and see what happens. Curently I own a 2003 civic Si which rattles like crazy.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.