Newbie - 2010 WRX 5Dr
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie - 2010 WRX 5Dr within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Good day to you all. I have had my WRX for about 2 months now it has quickly become second ...

Newbie - 2010 WRX 5Dr

Good day to you all. I have had my WRX for about 2 months now it has quickly become second only to my girl...for now

I have been a reader for sometime and this is my first post so my apologies up front if I am not following suit

Really enjoy the site and all your posts!!

My girl drives a 2008 SI and we are excitied about the new edition to the fam.

My first question is probably a broad stroke, but as a WRX owner what is/are the most important things to keep in mind. This covers everthing from driving to moding.

Thanks and I look forward to ride!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forums. I would say that the biggest thing is to always stay on top of your basic maintanence schedule.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Welcome! They are really addictive aren't they?

I second the regular maintenance.. I have 12,2xx mi on my 2010 now and its still as perfect as the day I brought it home. I did wait until 10k mi to switch to synthetic oil so that break in was thoroughly completed. Kept it under 4000rpm for the first 1000 miles too. That is all just for proper bed in of the engine parts. Since the switch to synthetic its been super smooth.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi and Welcome aboard and Congrats on the Subie!
    I agree with everyone on the service maintenance. That's really inportant it helps keep your car running like new.
    Also changing to synthetic oil when you get near 10,000 miles is also very good. I did that and my car is running so much better.
    2005 SPT WRX Wagon
    "Watch out boys, because girls love mods on a WRX too!"
    Blobeye Syndicate Member #009

Short throw shifter with the bushing made a big difference to me. CBE changed it from a sleeper to a mean machine.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thumbs up Thanks...

Thanks for the advice. I am approaching 2K and will certainly make service/maintenance paramount!!

The WRX is soooo addictive. I want to drive everywhere. And always take the long way. I went from a 1996 Ford Ranger to the 2010 WRX. Talk about a big changeJ

Thanks again for the advice. I am thinking the first mod will be to the suspension rather than the motor. Any thoughts on this school of thought?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmike09 View Post
    Short throw shifter with the bushing made a big difference to me. CBE changed it from a sleeper to a mean machine.

Sorry, I'm new at WRX's and cars. But what does the short throw shifter do? and Bushings? and CBE?

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the Club!

Quote Originally Posted by JB/EY1010 View Post
    I went from a 1996 Ford Ranger to the 2010 WRX. Talk about a big changeJ
    Uh yeah! One of our Admins has a Ranger in addition to a WRX.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JB/EY1010
    Thanks again for the advice. I am thinking the first mod will be to the suspension rather than the motor. Any thoughts on this school of thought?
    The power level of the '09+ WRX is pretty stout, so I completely understand your desire to improve the handling.

Another thing to look into are driveline mounts/bushings, which get rid of the slop and really improve the "feel" of the car. These are also relatively cheap, so you can feed the "mod bug" (which bites us all, and the urge gets stronger the more we mod) without breaking the bank. A complete drivetrain overhaul can be had for ~$500.

Quote Originally Posted by ssean2266
    Sorry, I'm new at WRX's and cars. But what does the short throw shifter do? and Bushings? and CBE?
    Short-throw shifter does exactly what it says - it reduces the throw (length) of shifts. Bushings stiffen up the slop in the driveline, and make the car feel better overall. CBE is a catback exhaust, which is the biggest determining factor in the way the vehicle sounds.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Short-throw shifter does exactly what it says - it reduces the throw (length) of shifts. Bushings stiffen up the slop in the driveline, and make the car feel better overall. CBE is a catback exhaust, which is the biggest determining factor in the way the vehicle sounds.

Awesome, Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. I am approaching 2K and will certainly make service/maintenance paramount!!

The WRX is soooo addictive. I want to drive everywhere. And always take the long way. I went from a 1996 Ford Ranger to the 2010 WRX. Talk about a big changeJ

I know what you mean - I am once again addicted to driving. I am glad the WRX came only in manual as well, that way my Fiance couldn't tell me I had to get an auto.
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2010 OBP WRX Limited 5-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

lol..if you think the car is addictive now.. throw some shifter bushings in there and a set of sway bars!

I'm lovin every second of this car
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Short throw shifter decreases the length of your shift throws (for example from first to second gear) which allows you to shift more quickly and get on that gas pedal.

Bushings also help to improve feel of shifts, making them more crisp.

CBE= cat back exhaust.

I am currently waiting for my '10 wrx to be delivered from the factory. The anticipation is driving me nutz.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.