Impreza WRX or Lexus IS 300?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Impreza WRX or Lexus IS 300? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I recently sold my 2003 Audi a4 2.7t and am looking to buy a wrx or lexus is300 with ...

Impreza WRX or Lexus IS 300?

Hi, I recently sold my 2003 Audi a4 2.7t and am looking to buy a wrx or lexus is300 with a budget of approx $7000-$8000 cdn$; im leaning towards getting a wrx since i don't think my budget would let me get a meticulously maintained is300 plus i live in montreal quebec and as some of you may know we get lots of dandruff.

As most of you are pretty subaru inclined what year impreza wrx will i be able to get with my budget?
    Last edited by Jbquick; 03-11-2010 at 03:26 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For that amount of money you might be able to get an older WRX. Be aware that these cars get modded a lot and people try to dump their problems on others. Be picky and try to find something unmodified.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I'm sure with 8000US$ in the US you can get a decent wrx
    but here in canada its a different story
    I'm in Ottawa and I looked around for an early wrx for a while and ended up with an 03 wagon with 95000km for 12000 CDN$
    I then went on to realize that 04's with 160 000km were going for over 14000$ and 02's and 03's with low mileage like mine were also going for around 14000$ so I actually got a great deal
    The cheapest running wrx I found was an 02 with 180000km and it sold for 10000$
    Pricing might be different in Montreal so don't let me get you down or anything but I'd try to find a few more dollars

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

hhhhmmmm......
    thanks for the advice, im looking in the classifieds online and i see that there are many impreza rs awd within my price range but no wrx's 2002 and up i guess im hoping for too much, but haven't come across any 98-00 models yet so the search continues...maybe test my luck at some auctions too

btw... what is the difference between the rs and wrx would it be like comparing a lancer gs to a mitsu EVO?

A friend of mine has a 2.5 RS and it does not have the "kick" or excitement that a WRX offers. Different worlds apart IMO.

My previous car was an IS300 and I loved it. I had plans to add boost but I needed the AWD and utility, which is the reason for me getting the WRX.

I'll tell you that you should just maybe save up some to get the car you really want or be patient until the car you want comes along. You do not want any regrets with such a big purchase.
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2010 OBP WRX Limited 5-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

When i was lookin to sell my car i was asking 8500. The cars stage 2 with all stock parts, new wheela for winter, all kinds of CF, and 148k miles. Thought it was reasonable but everyone just wanted to trade, or they would low ball me. Ive found somr with under 100k miles for about 6500-7. Dont give up hope, theres a wrx with your name on it out there somewhere.

Chris

Ps. The lexus are very cool cars, but im a subaru guy so my opinions biased.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

cost a arm, leg and your future children to up keep a lexus...keep that in mind when you make your decision. You may find it funny but Lexus don't do dirt...Good luck with your decison

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sinR View Post
    cost a arm, leg and your future children to up keep a lexus...keep that in mind when you make your decision. You may find it funny but Lexus don't do dirt...Good luck with your decison
    a lexus is a toyota... they're not expensive to keep up.

I think you need to drive both before you make your decision. The is300 is a "cute" car... but doesn't have much fun factor in driving. But the interior is very nice if maintained.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree that things won't break on a Lexus..but are we also saying that the cost of periodic maintenance will be the same?

Honestly asking...never owned a Lexus, and I didn't own my Infiniti long enough to really explore it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I agree that things won't break on a Lexus..but are we also saying that the cost of periodic maintenance will be the same?

Honestly asking...never owned a Lexus, and I didn't own my Infiniti long enough to really explore it.
    You can get them serviced at a toyota dealership... Same price as a Toyota to get serviced. Sorta like getting a Saab 9-2x aero serviced at a Subaru dealership. They're just reskinned.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    You can get them serviced at a toyota dealership... Same price as a Toyota to get serviced. Sorta like getting a Saab 9-2x aero serviced at a Subaru dealership. They're just reskinned.
    Interesting. I'll bet a lot of Lexus owners take them back to the Lexus dealer for service, though. Who wants to be associated with all of that Toyota rifraff. [puts nose in the air]
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

The IS300 is a pretty nice car. If you need AWD then you get the Subaru. Some say the IS300 is underpowered for the $ but they can be modified too. Lexus has good reliability and some say very good service at the dealerships. Either way you will be getting a good car if you spend time finding one.

Like people have said, you can't go wrong with either vehicles. When I owned my Lexus, I haven't had to take in my IS300 for anything other than regular maintenance (owned it for 100,000 miles and over 6 years).

The IS300's 2JZ motor is pretty much bullet proof and responds very well to mods. I had friends that boosted their IS300 and made massive power. I must say the interior and ride quality is unmatchable in a Lexus, along with a very sexy exterior . The only reason I got rid of the IS300 is because I wanted the AWD. It all comes down to what you really want in your car....

Good luck in your search
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2010 OBP WRX Limited 5-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.