new 03 wrx owner

This is a discussion on new 03 wrx owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just bought my first 2003 WRX, I have a Turbo XS topmount, 06 STi turbo back exhaust and a Perrin ...

new 03 wrx owner

Just bought my first 2003 WRX, I have a Turbo XS topmount, 06 STi turbo back exhaust and a Perrin up-pipe already in the mail. Next I am looking for a short throw, any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The STI downpipe will not be worth your time installing, it is still catted like the one on your car. To gain power you'll want to get a catless or high-flow cat aftermarket down pipe and also get a ecu tune. AKA Stage 2. Search that term on these forums for more info.

Kartboy makes a quality short shifter.

Welcome and have fun!
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    The STI downpipe will not be worth your time installing, it is still catted like the one on your car. To gain power you'll want to get a catless or high-flow cat aftermarket down pipe and also get a ecu tune. AKA Stage 2. Search that term on these forums for more info.

Kartboy makes a quality short shifter.

Welcome and have fun!
    Will a Perrin downpipe bolt up to the rest of the exhaust?

Yes it will, it may not be a perfect mate. You may need to get a little crafty with extra fasteners and gaskets to seal it well but it will fit.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Perrin will bolt up really well. I suggest also getting the shifter bushings and all that as well.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

What kind of numbers do you think I will be putting down with the mods I have coming... top mount, sti exhaust and uppipe? Next on my list is a short throw, pulleys, sti scoop and the COBB accessport.

I Support ClubWRX
    227bchp...

You wont see any noticeable gains from any of those modifications. You will need a cobb accessport or equivalent (open source, utec) engine management system to safely run a catless or catted aftermarked downpipe.

You will see a little performance gain from the uppipe but you will notice it more when you do the engine management

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    227bchp...

You wont see any noticeable gains from any of those modifications. You will need a cobb accessport or equivalent (open source, utec) engine management system to safely run a catless or catted aftermarked downpipe.

You will see a little performance gain from the uppipe but you will notice it more when you do the engine management
    As far as check engine lights from doing the turbo back exhaust, I have heard they come on when the exhaust is installed. Does the cobb accessport get rid of the check engine light?

Quote Originally Posted by Ichoris View Post
    As far as check engine lights from doing the turbo back exhaust, I have heard they come on when the exhaust is installed. Does the cobb accessport get rid of the check engine light?
    Yes it does.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichoris View Post
    + it changes the engine management to help boost creep, overboosting and all the other issues that goes with removing computer controlled emissions components