New cali suby owner with hp increase questions sos!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New cali suby owner with hp increase questions sos! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just purchased a 2010 wrx i've always wanted one but couldn't afford it till now. I want to increase ...

Question New cali suby owner with hp increase questions sos!

I just purchased a 2010 wrx i've always wanted one but couldn't afford it till now. I want to increase the hp and boxer sound without voiding the warranty on my car. I thought about getting the staged kit from perrin for the rx but i comes with a downpipe which from what i heard is illegal in cali. So my next option i guess would be a spt catback, not sure which air intake that could easily be switched back to stock if need may be and a ap dunno which one to go with? Any suggestions anyone? keep in mind new to all of this so my questions might b pretty dumb. I'm obsessed with this car!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Honestly any intake is relatively easy to replace within a few minutes if not shorter. Your Subaru dealer sells SPT intakes and exhaust that does not void warranty I believe. I also think you may be able to get away with any manufacturer CBE without voiding. I could be wrong though..... good luck and congrats on the purchase I am very jealous....
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

Question intake an exhaust question.

yeah i was at the dealer today and was told it would void it if it wasn't spt. any suggestions on the intake or access port?

Removing and installing a CBE can be done withinminutes as well. I believe everyone on here will tell you dont waste your money on an intake, no power added and could mess with the MAF readings. Im not positive on the newer 10' WRX but people on here will know. Im somewhat new myself so Im still learning.

As for the COBB AP, I have one and love it. Here is the map notes for a 2010 WRX that is stock with the Stage 1 map.
    Stage1 for Stock Vehicles. 93 Octane fuel. +8.6% HP / +14% lb. ft.

Stage1 91 MTv102 - Intended for 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX MT with a stock or cat-back
    exhaust, STOCK INTAKE SYSTEM, and STOCK INTAKE FILTER ONLY. 91 or 92 octane fuels.
    Boost Targets: ~15psi peak boost pressure tapering down to ~13psi by the 7000 RPM
    redline, +/- 0.8psi.
    Stage1 93 MTv102 - Intended for an otherwise stock 2010 Subaru WRX MT vehicle with a
    stock or cat-back exhaust, STOCK INTAKE SYSTEM, and STOCK INTAKE FILTER ONLY. 93 or
    94 octane fuels. Boost Targets: ~16.5psi peak boost pressure tapering down to
    ~13.5psi by the 7000 RPM redline, +/- 0.8psi
    Last edited by AsILayDying; 03-04-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not much at all can be done without a potential turn away from warranty work. They won't void your warranty, but if the part is found to possibly have something to do with the problem you're having, you likely will be denied a claim.

Some exhausts, if installed by a Subaru tech and approved by the dealership (document everything) can be installed without worrying about warranty issues. SPT parts are especially good because of this fact. Be aware though, you're not going to see noticeable power gains without a tune, turbocharged cars don't respond to bolt ons as well as N/A cars do.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Question u guys are very helpful.

i'm learning tons of new info about my car this is awesome. ok so if go with other than subaru parts what exhausts do u guys have? by tuning u mean the access port? thanks a lot.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeco3 View Post
    i'm learning tons of new info about my car this is awesome. ok so if go with other than subaru parts what exhausts do u guys have? by tuning u mean the access port? thanks a lot.
    You have a lot to read my friend lol. Tuning can be done through the Accessport, Open Source tuning via tactrix cable, ECUtek, and a myriad of other ways. Tuning is changing boost, ignition, and timing to gain power, essentially.

A lot of people go with the SPT intake because Subaru will sell it to you and install it for you. Not an extremely loud exhaust, but it does give you more of the boxer sound. Borla, HKS, and Invidia are popular exhaust systems, I'd suggest taking a look at Unabomber's Manifesto to gain a better knowledge about your Subaru as well as tuning in general.

Search for answers to your questions before posting, many questions have been asked thousands of times before and a simple search can net you some really good information. If you can't find the answer, feel free to ask here, and we will help you out. You can save a lot of time and money in many cases if you research before you do anything.

Welcome to the site, and welcome to the Subaru family.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Question spt catback installed strange sound when car stalled.

So i got an spt catback exhaust installed two days ago. Today i stalled yes that is correct i stalled! and heard a loud vibration which sounded like the exhaust right underneath the gears wondering if the exhaust is loose or that is a common thing with aftermarket exhausts or do i need to get the guy that installed it to check it out. also been getting some strange smell out of the exhaust. Running it with k&n drop in filter. Anyone have any advice? thank u.

What type of strange smell is this that you have been getting? Is it just excess exhaust fumes you've been noticing, or something more strong? Also, I like how it only took you two days to get the spt cb installed. Subbie bug right there. We all have it
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Any of the power mods that actually make a difference in horsepower/torque will potentially cause warranty denial. The minor mods that SPT has out won't make a noticeable difference.

^
    This is most definitely true. How badly do you need to keep that warranty?
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Question spt catback installed strange sound when car stalled.

it was a little smoky the first day i guess it's excess exhaust i'll check it out again today. called the dealer and said it was normal. Stll wondering about that sound when i stalled. My next move is stage 1 ap from perrin will that help incase the hp noticeably or not without an aftermarket intake?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeco3 View Post
    it was a little smoky the first day i guess it's excess exhaust i'll check it out again today. called the dealer and said it was normal. Stll wondering about that sound when i stalled. My next move is stage 1 ap from perrin will that help incase the hp noticeably or not without an aftermarket intake?
    I don't think stalling a car ever makes good sounds... Kinda impossible to tell if it was something out of the ordinary without actually hearing it though. You aren't going to notice any huge gain in power with just a stage 1 tune. But it will increase throttle feel and just overall drive-ability. I noticed quite an immediate difference after flashing to stage 1, the car isn't nearly as jumpy and the engine seemed smoother overall.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Question how can i achieve a noticeable increase in hp?

thanks for the advice. Just wondering how would u suggest i could go about achieving a noticeable increase in hp? i've been trying not to void the warranty but at this point in time i'm willing to do so if that is the only way unless of course there's another option. thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CmrnDrgn View Post
    You aren't going to notice any huge gain in power with just a stage 1 tune. But it will increase throttle feel and just overall drive-ability. I noticed quite an immediate difference after flashing to stage 1, the car isn't nearly as jumpy and the engine seemed smoother overall.
    I found the power difference to be quite noticeable and the car pulls much stronger than before. Im running an 09WRX with the Perrin AP and Perrin intake. My Perrin Catback is on its way as we speak!!!

My car compared to stock is totally different plus the intake sounds great. Now a lot of people say that the intakes are a waste of money but I honestly think the car is faster with it, just be sure if you buy one to remove the excess oil!! That will clog the MAF sensor badly!
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast