Need Advice Por Favor
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need Advice Por Favor within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so I am a new member to clubWRX.net but I've definitely been a fan of Subaru's since the late 90's. ...

Need Advice Por Favor

so I am a new member to clubWRX.net but I've definitely been a fan of Subaru's since the late 90's. Now, I'm in a dilemma as far as choosing my next vehicle. Budget is somewhat important but me being happy is even more important. My choices thus far are:
    1) 2010 Subaru WRX STi (I still prefer the lowercase 'i')
    2) 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe (I know, but 300 hp with a 10 year warranty kinda sweetens the deal)
    3) 2010 Lexus IS250
    4) 2010 Audi A4

I've read the reviews on all of them, and they all have their positives and negatives, but as a fan of the 05 STi's myself, I just couldn't ignore the 2010 and have grown to like the new body style, even if others do not...but then again it took me awhile to like the bug eyed 2003 WRX's.

What I'm asking for basically is do any of you ever regret purchasing your Subaru's, whether it be the cost of fuel, the cost of insurance (big burden on my mind since my insurance will go up $500 a year), and what other cars have you looked into. Honestly, I test drove the Evo X and still have negative feelings about it and to this day only respect the Evo IV. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks for reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    you can read the reviews all you want but you need to get out there and go on some test drives.

1) i dont know what genesis you were looking at but the 2.0T was just godawful. i think i'd rather drive a scooter. i've heard great things about the v8 but i havent driven it myself. in the end, unfortunately its still just a hyundai. they were trying to build a suup'd up car and appeal to younger people and just... failed. it's a great looking car but the power on the 2.0T, interior, & handling was less than desirable

2) i havent driven any of the other cars on your list except the 08+ sti's. i personally enjoyed the evo X more than the sti overall however, i know the reliability of evos arent too great. other cars i have looked into:
    2010 speed3 (looks pretty ugly but honestly performs great. the torque steer/wheel hop was not bad at ALL compared to the previous years)

2010 GTI (once again, dont really care for the front end but i've always loved how GTI's performed. my brother just went stage 2 with his 2010 and lowered it on coilovers. it handles and drives like a go-kart. extremely fun)

2010 wolfsburg jetta (i actually liked this car better than the sti, evo x, & gti surprisingly. yes, its FWD of course but the sport suspension is RIDICULOUS and it handles great. the power is also nice and feels very smooth when driving.)

3) the only thing i regret about my subaru is not buying an STi. i was 17 when i purchased my wrx and just simply couldnt afford the sti itself or the insurance. looking back on it, i wish i waited and saved a little bit more. other than that- i get almost 30 MPG & my insurance is 110 a month. i really cant complain

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

thanx for the quick reply. The Genesis I test drove was the v6 3.8L and it had a lot of kick but it just felt lacking plus I wanted something i can take up to the snow during winters, and just enjoy cruising with the security of AWD. Thats why I'm willing to dish out the extra $10k for it. As far as the Evo...considering it's almost another $10K for the Evo X, plus it has the reliability of any common Dodge, and has transmission issues...can't see myself EVER driving a Mitsu...unless it's a 1998 Eclipse GSX.

snow

I got a 2010 WRX 3 months back and we got pounded with snow last month. What I learned: AWD doesn't mean it can "just go" in snow. If you have more than 3 inches then you'll get stuck unless you get snow tires or have chains. Yes it does perform better than just a FWD car but it's not going to go everywhere.

If you are worried about snow, get a truck and jack it up. Otherwise, get the WRX and don't risk taking it out when it snows a lot. Take off work and stay home instead

I used to live in MA and work the night shift. My WRX made it through snow up to my knees. I was basically plowing throw the stuff. I would see snow plows on the road but no one else. Just my experience but AWD can drive through snow.

Ice is another matter.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Bill View Post
    I got a 2010 WRX 3 months back and we got pounded with snow last month. What I learned: AWD doesn't mean it can "just go" in snow. If you have more than 3 inches then you'll get stuck unless you get snow tires or have chains. Yes it does perform better than just a FWD car but it's not going to go everywhere.

If you are worried about snow, get a truck and jack it up. Otherwise, get the WRX and don't risk taking it out when it snows a lot. Take off work and stay home instead

If you put performance summer tires on a truck it isn't going anywhere either.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist

If you put performance summer tires on a truck it isn't going anywhere either.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by alvlee01 View Post
    1) 2010 Subaru WRX STi (I still prefer the lowercase 'i')
    Ehh... No. I would never buy a new STi, infact, I would prefer just buying a base WRX and putting an EJ207 in it. That's just me. Sure the STi is faster, but really its paying a ton of money for an extra gear, slightly bigger turbo and a few small differences. Why bother? Thats just me. I think that STi is more like buying a name really, because once you tinker with either a WRX or an STi enough, you pretty much have the same car. No offense STi people.

2) 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe (I know, but 300 hp with a 10 year warranty kinda sweetens the deal)
    B.F.A. They are HEAVY. Nice, but HEAVY.

3) 2010 Lexus IS250
    Its a known fact that Toyota hasn't made anything good for a while. IS250 included.

4) 2010 Audi A4
    Ehh... nothing against Audi, but its really just a VW in disguise if I remember correctly.

As far as the stuff on the market NEW (never buy new it is a ripoff from hell)
    Nothing front wheel drive. IDGAF if it has minimal wheel hop the potential as always there and I'd rather not ever have it as a concern. For the rear wheel drive folks.... the genesis is heavy, the 370Z is too, and the G37s is no better. Two N/A all three with new engines. Bad. All bad.
    For AWD land... I DO NOT like EVOs in any way shape or form, thanks to the fact that the AWD system in them is no fun to work on (I blame my hate for them in changing a friends evos clutch)

Honestly, Subaru all the way if performance is your first concern. Get a used WRX. Save money. Lots of it. Cars are NEVER worth what you pay for them ever.

Just my two cents.
    2006 WRX: For sale so I can get a damn mortgage.... bleh...
    1970 Beetle: Upset causing sleeper

First of all, welcome to the club!

I recently bought a 2010 WRX for the utility and the AWD factor, prior to this I drove an 2001 IS300 (RWD). Although, I had dedicated snow tires (which helped considerably), an AWD was just a better choice for me specifically for MY needs. I love going to the mountains in winter and the IS300 just couldn't do it as well as I liked.

A good friend of mine has an IS250 which is very nice/luxurious, but it is in a different class altogether compared to an STi. If comfort and luxury is what you are looking for, the Lexus is a nice alternative. This goes for the Audi A4 as well.

The reason I chose the WRX over the Lexus and the Audi? It was just a more fun vehicle to drive (even though gas mileage is a little bit less). When I test drove the A4 and IS250, it just seemed boring to me (more so than my older IS300). Don't get me wrong, I think both are wonderful vehicles, they just serve a different purpose than a rally aspired vehicle. I have no experience with the Hyundai Genesis, so I can't tell you much about that, other than it's a Hyundai :P.

I think it comes down to what you want/need in a vehicle. A comfortable, luxury, daily driver with decent gas mileage? Or a performance-driven, fun driving machine with so-so gas mileage? Good luck with your search and future purchase!
    Stink-eye Mob #1004

2011 SSM STi 4-Door
    2010 OBP WRX Limited 5-Door
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    1977 Honda CVCC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.