Tune or Detune for MPG
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tune or Detune for MPG within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Anyone else have an issue with gas mileage? I have a 2010 WRX with 2500 miles. I get 15 MPG ...

Tune or Detune for MPG

Anyone else have an issue with gas mileage? I have a 2010 WRX with 2500 miles. I get 15 MPG driving very light footed around town, 20 highway, driving 65, even less at 70. Engine revís high (3000 RPM at 70), lack of a 6th gear. Is there any way to tune (or de-tune) the engine to be more efficient?

My previous car (Civic SI got over 30 MPG).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The motor isn't broken in yet but the numbers you are posting as disappointing.

Lean mixtures are supposed to be the way to go. However, since you have a brand new car I'd let it be, see what happens by the time the motor breaks in, and only think of modifications after the warranty period is over -- if at all.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have a 2010 too with about 2300 miles on it and my MPG isn't as bad, but also isn't that great. About 18mpg in town and if I am lucky I'll get 23mpg on the highway. I am sure it'll get better.
    2010 WRX 5 Door
    1998 BMW 318ti
    2004 Mazda RX-8 (Sold)

Stink-Eye Mob #362436

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by killallhumans View Post
    I have a 2010 too with about 2300 miles on it and my MPG isn't as bad, but also isn't that great. About 18mpg in town and if I am lucky I'll get 23mpg on the highway. I am sure it'll get better.
    That's around what you should be getting.

My 2010 has 600 miles on it and I'm getting 20.4 in heavy DC Beltway traffic, haven't actually seen what it does "highway"
    2010 Blue WRX Premium
    2001 A4 1.8T Quattro
    2002 Cavalier (destroyed)

I Support ClubWRX
    That's not bad actually. See what happens as it breaks in. I just posted on another thread yesterday that I got my best fuel economy yet, roughly 29.4 mpg, but I have the 2L motor and it's now got over 100K on it (past the break in period by now!) and I use a manual gearbox.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
    Anyone else have an issue with gas mileage? I have a 2010 WRX with 2500 miles. I get 15 MPG driving very light footed around town, 20 highway, driving 65, even less at 70. Engine revís high (3000 RPM at 70), lack of a 6th gear. Is there any way to tune (or de-tune) the engine to be more efficient?

My previous car (Civic SI got over 30 MPG).
    i have an 09 with a CAI and a SPT CBE and tunedwhen i go 65 on cruise control i average about thirty mpg

Quote Originally Posted by 09whiterex View Post
    i have an 09 with a CAI and a SPT CBE and tunedwhen i go 65 on cruise control i average about thirty mpg
    i have a stock 09 and i drive mostly highway cruising 65-75 range and have never seen anything above 23mpg...30 sounds insanely high to me..wish i was seeing those numbers

Wow 30 does seem really high- I'd settle for 27 or 28 MPG on a trip. Is there any chance of getting that with a few more miles on the car? Seems obtaining that would be difficult considering no 6th gear to reduce RPM's- 3000 RPM at 70 seems really high to me. I am thinking about trading it already for better MPG....

You're not driving a Civic anymore.

I have an 08 WRX stg 2 and get 20 in town and 24 hwy
    2008 WRX Premium-Sedan, WRB, Invidia DP, SPT CBE, VF-52, TGV Deletes, Walbro F/P, Stg 2 CAMTuned, Pink springs, Whiteline Sways, Brembos F/R, RPF1, Star Specs, Pioneer/Alpine/JL, Kartboy SS/Bushings, Leather Seats and JPM Coachworks Boots, DAMD flat bottom steering wheel, Grimspeed M/C brace,TRS HID Retrofit.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think many of the popular maps tend to lean the mixture at popular rpms, and this would explain increased efficiency when the car is driven with traffic rather than raced around etc.

OTOH I really do hope Subaru make progress toward better fuel economy. I'm going to try and get in the 30.x range this time around with my 2L before the weather gets too warm (A/C ruins it all) but I think my 225/50s are holding me back, I assume I'd have done better with 205/55s. We'll see.

My '09 gets about what the EPA says it should. Good days when I set the cruise at 65 I can get over 30.

Calculate the mileage yourself (don't use the gauge) and average over a few tanks of gas then post your results.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you bought an AWD turbocharged car and were hoping for great gas mileage you need to put the crack pipe down. That being said,like SD_GR mentioned,aftermarket tunes will lean out the factory rich mixture. Warmer weather = better gas mileage as well. Run tire pressure 2-4psi over recommended pressure and don't go over 60 mph.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's not bad actually. See what happens as it breaks in. I just posted on another thread yesterday that I got my best fuel economy yet, roughly 29.4 mpg, but I have the 2L motor and it's now got over 100K on it (past the break in period by now!) and I use a manual gearbox.
    86k on my '06 and before I flashed a stage 1 map, I was getting 32 on the freeway and 26 city. Now I'm seeing about 28 highway and 23 city, which for this car is still quite impressive in my book.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast