My Intro; Lexus Veteran/Subaru Noob :D

This is a discussion on My Intro; Lexus Veteran/Subaru Noob :D within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello ClubWRX Forums! My name is Rob, hailing from New Jersey and I am now the proud owner of a ...

My Intro; Lexus Veteran/Subaru Noob :D

Hello ClubWRX Forums!

My name is Rob, hailing from New Jersey and I am now the proud owner of a 2002 SRP WRX. Got it for a pretty good deal, 95K miles on the clock, nice body and paint. I've been a ClubLexus user for quite some time and hope to spend more time in this community, interact with great people, and overall just have a good time.

While I'm not new to the car scene nor modding in general, Subie's, flat fours, and AWD are new and exciting vistas for me can't wait to explore it! I've been voraciously reading every thread I can find on the bugeye and love learning more everyday.

This was my vehicle until recently, my 95 GS300 Na-T:

Mods included:

Performance/Suspension
    Custom Turbo Kit
    - Turbonetics T60-1 Turbo
    - Turbonetics Exhaust Manifold
    - CX Racing FMIC
    - Blitz BOV
    - SS Oil feed and return lines
    - 35mm Tial Wastegate, 8.7psi spring
    - Turbonetics Downpipe
    - Chrome intercooler piping
    - T-bolt Couplings
    Apexi AFC Neo
    Glowshift Boost Gauge
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband
    B&M Transmission Cooler
    Aristo Strut Bar
    KYB-GR2 Shocks
    Tanabe DF210 Lowering Springs
    HKS Prestige Exhaust, Cat/Resonator Delete
    Magnaflow Mufflers
    Custom Engine Covers

Exterior
    Repainted in Lexus Black Onyx (202)
    Stern ST7, Staggered, 19x8.5/19x9.5
    Hankook Ventus Evo High Performance 245/35/19; 275/30/19
    Red WORK lug nuts and locks
    Custom FB with SC430 Molded Lip
    Wincorp Sideskirts
    Cleared Headlights
    Aristo rear garnish
    35% Tint all around
    6K HIDs, Lows and 3K Fogs

Interior-A/V
    Marble Wood Kit
    Blue/White LEDs (50+)
    - All interior Lights
    - HVAC/Shifter Plate
    - Dash Cluster
    VALOR 7 TS Indash Headunit
    JL 12 IB4 Free Air Sub
    JL 500/5 Amp

------------------------------

Next was this guy. 01 MSM Is300. Beautiful car, loved it to death, but absolutely WORTHLESS in bad weather. East coast Snowmageddon had me at its mercy and the IS would just spin her lovely wheels. So I decided I needed something a little bit more all around performance wise...

Here's some pics of the IS

Which brings me to my Subie search. I'd heard great things about this car, its all around performance characteristics as well as its rich history in rally racing, autocross, etc. A friend of mine drove me around in a horrendous 2ft snow dropping blizzard in his WRX without a hitch and I was so deeply impressed, I wanted one right then and there.

So after selling the IS, I found this beauty and snapped it up. Sedona Red Pearl 2002 auto WRX. Nice and clean and most importantly, UNMOLESTED! Very stock, a clean slate to move forward on. I chose an auto because it would be my daily driver and I didn't want the hassle of a manual in city traffic (figured i'd address that off the bat).

These are pictures of the car sent to me by the seller. I will have new ones later after I freshen it up. Some mods I bought as soon as the car was titled are based upon what I've read in the forums so far:

Godspeed Uppipe
    New WRX floor mats
    Cobb AP V2
    Cobb TBE

Stage 2 en route my friends!!!

So basically, I'm here to learn. What maintenance has to be done at 90K miles? I saw a schedule somewhere here in the forums detailing timing belt, spark plugs, and quite a few other things. Anyone have a layman's terms breakdown?

What mods do you think really enhance this car the best? Comments, concerns, suggestions, questions, brilliant statements?

Look it over and let me know what you think!

and sorry for the long intro...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

At 90K the fluids, air filter, and oil filter get changed. Check the brakes and drivetrain. The spark plugs get changed every 60K, meaning they are not due until 120K. The timing belt is due at 105K.

I like red, good choice.

The car is IMO best modified like any other car -- from the tires up and inward rather than from the engine down. Then again this is almost certainly a minority view not just here but on other car fora as well. In any case, the components you have selected work well together and you will enjoy the car.

Have a look around and have fun on the forum, and thanks for the pics.

SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Welcome to the forum. The car looks like it's in great shape!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The car is IMO best modified like any other car -- from the tires up and inward rather than from the engine down. Then again this is almost certainly a minority view not just here but on other car fora as well.
    Agreed! I always start with tires and brakes.
    2010 WRX 5 Door
    1998 BMW 318ti
    2004 Mazda RX-8 (Sold)

Stink-Eye Mob #362436

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the Club!

Very nice find - best of luck with it.

+ another vote for good tires (and wheels).
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Welcome, nice rides. I've always liked the IS series', my cousin (Toyota engineer) relayed a great story about his engineering team barrel rolling an IS300 during winter testing
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I'm currently trying to decide what wheels I'd like to get. Been looking at many people's threads to see what looks best. Probably going with an Eibach springs drop and wheels, or coilovers now, wheels next year. Haven't sorted that one out yet.

Can't do too much to the car til 2011 anyway. Getting married this coming November gotta spend for that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Beautiful bugeye!

Sadly, the slushbox is a deal breaker for me...

But congrats & welcome!
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

There's plenty of threads about your first modifications.

Here's how I understand them:

1. Above all else, either replace or de-cat your uppipe. Do it now.

Then:

* go stage 2 pretty quickly (look this up). relatively quick and easy great hp gain.

* Engine management or a good tune - pick one or both. Preferribly the latter, if only one.

Some stuff I'm going to do:

* Replace the audio system - apparently, it sucks.

* Interior - you'll probably be best to keep it as is, but IMO, colors other than red look great with the sti blue interior.

Oh yeah, and sell the car and get one with a proper gearbox