2010 STI vs Standard ???

This is a discussion on 2010 STI vs Standard ??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi my name is Matt and I am new to this site. I am looking into purchasing a new 2010 ...

2010 STI vs Standard ???

Hi my name is Matt and I am new to this site. I am looking into purchasing a new 2010 WRX. I have test driven and researched the car a fair amount, but would like to learn more about them. Does anyone know what the major differences are between the standard and sti models?? I can see the obvious things like the additional 40 hp, and a 6 speed gear box. I like the styling better on the std model, but I am interested in the best possible performance. Is there any mods to get the standard model over 300 hp without voiding my warranty?? I am not a mechanic so my warranty is important to me. Any input that you WRX owners could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

standard and sti models? you mean wrx and sti?

one is a race car for the streets the other is a street car thats quick, fun and cheaper than the sti...

if you mod your warranty is voided.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac0101 View Post
    if you mod your warranty is voided.
    Not entirely true, but you certainly wont get to the 300hp without voiding.

What will you be using the car for most of the time?
    2009 Red WRX Sedan
    2003 Red Honda VFR
    1998 Red(ish) Regal GSX, Stage 3 Supercharged (SOLD)
    1991 Red K5 Blazer (SOLD)

In my opinion, if you have the money for the STi and need to keep your warranty intact, then I think STi will be your best bet. Many of the mods that up your power in the WRX will void the warranty (for most dealers) fairly quickly. The STi will put you at that power with a warranty. You can sometimes remove parts that void the warranty before your dealer sees them, but you imply you're less inclined to be working on the car, so adding and removing parts fairly often may not be your thing. The dealer can sometimes tell if parts have been on already as well..
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

OK thanks, its sound like the STI is the way to go then. I am planning on buying this the car to drive it; by this I mean driving it year round. I live in area that can get as much as 200 inches of snow a year so I want an all season sports car. I was considering the new Audi S4, but itís about 10 grand more than the STI, and is not as fun to drive, at least in my opinion.

OK thanks for all the info, its sound like the STI is the way to go then. I am planning on buying this the car to drive it; by this I mean driving it year round. I live in area that can get as much as 200 inches of snow a year so I want an all season sports car. I was considering the new Audi S4, but itís about 10 grand more than the STI, and is not as fun to drive, at least in my opinion.

2010 wrx vs STI

Not entirely true, but you certainly wont get to the 300hp without voiding the warranty

Sorry id have to dis agree. I was in the same situation. With an extended warrranty, it covers anything still factory that you didnt modd.{Seperate warranty from factory} The only thing you need to worry about is the AP , if you ever need service you need to uninstall it

As far as what model to choose from. I chose the wrx looks better i think, plus if you want to modd,that 50 bhp difference aint nothin.Read many Tuner mags out there, they even say after testing why waste the money buying a sti, the wrx is pretty much the same now. Thats why the price in the sti went lower. To get more peoplr interested.

I got 300 simply with a AP V2 Stage2 , invidia catted DP,SPT exhaust,perrin intake , 3 port soilenoid, custom FMIC setup . I hit 290awhp/310 trq.

A cobb specialized tuner of surgeline in portland said my FMIC setup was to big for turbo. If you want to keep stock , upgrade your TMIC with this setup would have seen 315awhp/325trq. My future plans are a simple bolt on DOM 3.0 xtr turbo upgrade with injectors and fuel pump. Should see around 450- 475 awhp/450 trq.

2010 Impreza WRX
    Exterior:
    - STI front lip
    - STI Rear spioler
    - De-badged
    - Sport mesh grille upgrade

Interior:
    - SPT Short throw shifter
    - STI Duracon 5 m/t knob
    - SPT Boost guage
    - Hks Type-0 turbo timer

Engine:
    - Perrin CAI
    - AMR Stealth FMIC kit for STI
    - Synapse BOV
    - 3 port solenoid
    - Invidia catted DP
    - SPT turboback exhuast
    - AP Stage 2 , Custom Tune
    - 285 awhp, 309 ft TQ

Audio:
    - Subaru upgrated factory unit
    - JL audio Signal/ preout controller
    - Alpine V-Power MRP500
    - Alpine Type-R 12" DVC 2ohm
    - Custom moled box and wiring
    - Dynomat

Suspension:
    - BC engineering Pillow Top BR-series

Wheels/Tires:
    - TenzoR Cuzco Version 2
    - BF Goodwrench G-Force Sport A/S

Dyno Link:
    Dyno Database Online

Special thanks goes out to Pacific Import Auto, in Tacoma ,WA. Also Tim Bailey of Surgeline Portland, OR.

Futur plans are to go to a Dom 2.5 or Dom 3, Fuel pump, injectors, and tune. hoping to hit 400 awhp.Red tailights etc....
    Last edited by 10_wrx_R-spec; 03-22-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    Independent motorsports
    http://www.myspace.com/da_shz_nt

Satin Pearl White WRX Premium SPT Tuned
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/new-me...rx-r-spec.html