New here and i have questions

This is a discussion on New here and i have questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi i'm new here and i would love to join the subie community so here is the run down... So ...

New here and i have questions

Hi i'm new here and i would love to join the subie community so here is the run down...

So i will be getting out of High School soon and being going off to college and need a car with better mpg. I currently get 8mpg. I will be going to York and will need an AWD car do be able to go to work while i'm in school and also to have some fun . Mom said it's cool if i get a wrx and said she will chip in a bit for it too. So i read some articles on them and the new "Project Car" magizine featered an article on a "junkyard mod" car, It was a 02 wrx. In short they but some used sti parts exhust and a few other goodies and got another 150 whp out of the car. I'm not looking to go that extreme but i saw how mod friendly these cars are. But my questions come in at:

1) How reliable are these cars? 02-03 WRX
    2) Should i trust a car that has been modded?
    3) Any things to look for in a modded car or unmodded that should not be there or will lead to money
    4) The most amount of milies i should trust one with used.
    5) Ant weak points in the cars?
    6) How expensive are they? I have about 10k at the most to buy one. I would prefear around 8k
    7) MPG?
    8) If this is a complete fail please tell me a wiser course to take. I would really like a wrx at these point but i could live without.

Thanks in advance,
    Zach

BTW: I drive a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 v6 quad cab st with a 6ft bed a 4spd auto and 108k on it. And i to about 10% highway driving and 90% city. But will be more balanced in college.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I was going to quoteyou but I'm on the iPhone. WRXs are reliable, however if you don't know what your looking for I suggest buying a stock one and stay involved here learning and reading before modding. Yes these Cars are very mod friendly however if you mod them incorrectly they become very wallet unfriendly. MPGs very a bit but I saw on average around 20mpg in town out of my WRX when I daily drove it as stage 2. Price wise very clean stock 03s are around 10-12,000.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Hey there and Welcome!

I figured the easiest way is to just post a reply to each question.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt16 View Post
    1) How reliable are these cars? 02-03 WRX
    2) Should i trust a car that has been modded?
    3) Any things to look for in a modded car or unmodded that should not be there or will lead to money
    4) The most amount of milies i should trust one with used.
    5) Ant weak points in the cars?
    6) How expensive are they? I have about 10k at the most to buy one. I would prefear around 8k
    7) MPG?
    8) If this is a complete fail please tell me a wiser course to take. I would really like a wrx at these point but i could live without.
    1. If the car has been maintained, it should be very reliable. As with any used car, I always try and buy one that is stock and has been adult owned with one owner. If you play the waiting game this shouldn't be a problem.
    2. I wouldn't. When I buy used I want the most stock unmolested car available.
    3. Nothing you wouldn't normally be looking for.
    4. I would try and keep it in the 100k and under. Just me personally.
    5. Windshield. Turns out that is the Achilles heal of the WRX. I have also heard that the 02-03 transmission is fragile.
    6. 02-03 you should find for around 8k-9.5k. I would always try and go with the newest car possible. In my area I've seen 04-05's for around 10k or lower depending on the condition.
    7. My brother has a stock 02 WRX and he gets an average of 25-27 mpg. My 2010 seems to get an average of about 24 mpg.
    8. Seems like the perfect car for what you need. I would look into how much your insurance will be since it sounds like you're 18. May be kinda spendy.

I hope that helped. My only other advice would be to get a manual over an auto.

Good luck, Zach!
    2010 WRX 5 Door
    1998 BMW 318ti
    2004 Mazda RX-8 (Sold)

Stink-Eye Mob #362436

I Support ClubWRX
    When you're looking at the car, look for the turbo heatshield. Make sure it's not gone, or cut. It's one of the biggest hints on a previously modified car.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

welcome to the forum. have a look at that ^

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.