NEW: Chris (300z32x)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on NEW: Chris (300z32x) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok so I dont own a WRX just yet. I have been giving it some serious thought as to making ...

NEW: Chris (300z32x)

Ok so I dont own a WRX just yet. I have been giving it some serious thought as to making it my new daily versus my current daily 95 300zx NA. Thought I would go ahead and introduce myself. I am considering trading in my 95 300zx NA to come to the Subaru family. It was a toss up between the EVO and WRX but I lean towards the WRX because of DSM's history.

After taking a buddy's 2006 up to the mountains over a weekend, I highly enjoyed the car! Although his was non-turbo, which he tells me they offer a turbo version to gap his and the STi. I like the more seating option, and the sedan comfort, while still being able to have fun.

I am still confused about the WRX/Subaru Family. I know they are flat engines, and the STi is the godzilla out of the bunch. Here are some of my questions:

1. Is there a turbo version (filling the gap of non-turbo and STi)?

2. How do I know which is turbocharged and non? Obviously I am looking to go with the turbocharged version, but not quite the STi. I dont want to be tempted into making another track car. Just something with bolt-ons to support a boost raise, and more aggressive suspension.

3. I want a non "bug-eyed" sedan, which I believe is 2006-2007? Correct me if wrong.

4. Would you recommend a turbo-WRX (if there is) as a daily?

5. What can I expect as cost of maintenance and OEM (or better) parts for repair? Pocket drainer but highly rewarded? Or cheap maintenance with high rewards? Am I going to be spending a lot of time working on it over enjoying it? I am ASE so I know what I'm doing, just haven't put a lot of research on these.

6. Would a turbo-WRX (if there is) be a practical daily?

7. On average what would I be expecting to pay for a well maintained turbo-WRX in the 2006 range? Dont want to over pay... Understandable right?

Sorry hope I dont get flammed or bashed on for asking these question... I am just looking for insight not only from WRX owners, but enthusiast. Sure you will be leaning towards the WRX, as I would tell you about the Z-Family. But I want honest answers.

Thanks for your time and future answering!
    -Chris-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    1. All US WRXs are turbocharged

2. See #1

3. Only the 2002-2003 were bugeyes

4. Sure, I guess.

5. My car has been infinitely more unreliable than most (over the life of the car I've spent enough to buy another new one off the lot), so I'm not qualified to answer this without my bitter bias.

6. You already asked this.

7. Refer to kbb.com

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    1. All US WRXs are turbocharged
    With that being said... was his WRX lying to me or would that just be an Impreza? Assuming Impreza's and WRX have the same body? Different engine?
    1995 300zx NA Auto - Stock Except for suspension
    Dyno'd: Not Yet.. Est. 200+whp
    1996 300zx TT 5spd - Fully built bottom, Stock heads, 850cc injectors, ASH-Spec street tune, GT675RS turbos. With head work, aggressive tune, goal 700+whp
    Dyno'd: 621.54whp, 553.13 ft-lbs @ 25 psi VP110
    1973 240Z - Project Dragster awaiting RB26DETT.

different engine, + a turbo + an intercooler you could tell by looking under the hood, also a wrx should have a hood scoop if it has a tmic
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/WRX06engine1.JPG

theres your wrx engine bay, notice the intercooler at the top of the picture

and here is a 2.5i engine bay
    http://images21.fotki.com/v758/photo...intake1-vi.jpg

i hope this does you some good, those were both 06-07 models according to the search
    ***Stink Eye Mob 169***
    Stage 2 WRX Tuned by Brendan at Brentuning
    296 awhp
    317 awtq

as a person who does not own a wrx i can try to answer these.. all this is what i have learned just by being on this site. i somewhat know these cars but cant answer some of these because i have not experienced my own on a daily basis

1 yes the turbo version is the wrx... he probably has an impreza.

2. anything with a hood scoop = turbo

3. you get the bug-eye from 02-03 the blob-eye from 04-05 the hawk eye from 06-07 and the stink-eye from 08-present

4. having driven them on a daily basis at work id say the wrx is a great car, dont get me wrong, the impreza you drove is pretty sweet too but the wrx is miles above.

5. not really sure about that one

6. i hear about dd wrxs every day at work... but i cannot answer this myself

7. a 2006 is very wide ranging, you can find them as low as 15,500 (with high miles) and they go as high as 19 or so(certified and have low miles, also usually the limited version). you just have to be very picky of the one you buy.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

From what your asking, IMHO if you copy and paste half of them into google search youll get more info than you will even want to read. As far as realiability, depends how well the car was/is taken care of like any turbo'd car.

Chris
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I have a WRX premium (moon-roof, fog lights, heated seats, etc).

It's my daily driver and I put on about 9000 miles/year. It's a turbo so the premium fuel is expensive (plus I only use Shell), but I make plenty of money so I don't care what the cost of gas is.

I got the WRX because I live in Denver, CO where it snows and I wanted a fun AWD car to drive to and from work year round, go to the mountains year round, etc (I have both summer and winter sets of tires/rims).

The WRX also has the best back seat of any sporty car, and coming from a Toyota pickup, i wanted something I could take 4 people in comfortably.

I plan to keep my car stock.
    -Chris
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Thanks a lot for the answers. I really appreciate it. I am still trying to learn Scoobie's from actually owners versus Wikipedia and all that. I looked at a few WRX's and one STi today. The WRX's were pretty nice and hawk-eyed. The STi was a blob and it was pretty clean except a misfire, and leaking turbo.. for the same price as well maintained newer WRX's.

I think I am leaning towards the newer WRX over the STi mainly because of looks.

He told me it was a WRX and I began looking for signs of turbo... When asked him I asked him if he was sure it was turbo, cause I didn't see a top mount, and any other signs of a snail. Come to find out he was just pulling my chain for some reason... ? Like I cared if it was boosted or not.

Anyways, main reason why I want it, is for my winter trips up into the mountains, and more passengers. While still having a fun car.

I am prepared to put my 95 300zx down along with around 8K... Which should put me right at about 12K down. I am willing to spend around 20K in total for a well maintained WRX/STi
    1996 300zx TT 5spd - Fully built bottom, Stock heads, 850cc injectors, ASH-Spec street tune, GT675RS turbos. With head work, aggressive tune, goal 700+whp

Trust me, for 20k get an sti.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    Trust me, for 20k get an sti.
    I feel that with an STi I will get suckered into going heavy aftermarket support. I dont need another. Maybe I can fight the urge! Saw a gorgeous black STi for 23k I might dig a litter deeper for it. I Love it I will post a link to it.

'06 Subaru WRX STi - 30k mi, 417whp/444wtq, Built Block, FP Green, WOW

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.