Used STi reliability?

This is a discussion on Used STi reliability? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Cliffs: -How reliable is a 06-07 USED STi? I'd like one for daily driving/weekend tracking. Looking to get out of ...

Used STi reliability?

Cliffs:
    -How reliable is a 06-07 USED STi? I'd like one for daily driving/weekend tracking. Looking to get out of my 09 si coupe.
    -Will have to buy from a dealership
    -Possibly considerin WRX

Hello,

I've been a long time subaru fan and I've been lurking on this site for quite a while. The 06-07 WRX STI is somewhat of a dream car for me. There really isn't anything about it that I don't like. I drove one about a year ago. It was an 07 with 8k miles on it for 24 grand. I found out why it was for sale for 24 grand shortly after I drove it. The car had been wrecked and was in bad shape. A lot of wind noise, weird transmission whine at cruising speeds, and the car smelled like body work.

Right now I drive a 09 civic Si coupe, purchased on Halloween night in 2008. While it seemed like a good idea to buy it at the time, I'm now very bored with the car. I'm looking to get out of the vehicle by early summer.

Since I've always put the 06-07 STI at the top of my list, I may consider purchasing one, as long as I can get a five year loan. Would a used STI with 40-50k miles be a bad idea? What kind of reliability can I expect from a vehicle with those kind of miles. Is that a lot of miles for the car?

My main purpose for the car would be to throw a few bolt on's on it, daily drive the car, track it on the occasion (autox and road course), and I would probably end up keeping it for as long as I have room in the garage for it. Maybe it would turn into a track only/weekend car, after it gets paid off.

I'd also consider looking for a 06-07 WRX, but this wouldn't be a car I would keep forever. I think I'm more likely to find one of these adult driven, in stock form, and in good shape with 30-40k miles on it. I'm just worried about the inevitable STi envy that many other clubwrx members have fell victim to.

Thanks,
    Zach

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Would a used STI with 40-50k miles be a bad idea? What kind of reliability can I expect from a vehicle with those kind of miles. Is that a lot of miles for the car?
    if the previous owner took care of it, didnt mod it, & kept up with regular maintenance, it will be just as reliable as any other vehicle.

on average, most drivers put on 12-15k miles per year. that means an 06/07 should have between 60-75,000 miles at the MOST

personally, i wouldnt buy one with that many miles but 40-50k isnt that bad.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I'm mostly worried about idiots who think because the car is all wheel drive they can rev the car up and drop the clutch on every launch. It's the transmission that scares me more than anything.

How often do the turbos need rebuilt in these cars?

I think that one with 40-50k miles would be in pretty good shape, mine has about 62k now and it's getting a few rock chips and dents here and there but that's just the way that it goes when you buy a used car. Just look it over good and go for a longer test drive. Don't be afraid to ask the seller questions about anything that concerns you since your the one that's gonna be throwing the $$$ out there. You may even be able to get an extended warranty like I did if you can find one at a Subaru dealership. Good luck!
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

My other option is to go for a 2010 3G rex. I was thinking about a premium or base sedan.

I'm determined to get into a car I will want to keep. My 03 Spec V kept me entertained for a couple years, but my civic si had me bored after a month. I've always been a subaru fan, and it's time for me to take the step.