Introduction/ questions!

This is a discussion on Introduction/ questions! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, whats up everybody? This may be a long post, sorry in advance!! This is my first time posting here, ...

Cool Introduction/ questions!

Hey, whats up everybody? This may be a long post, sorry in advance!! This is my first time posting here, and I am not an owner of a Subaru...not yet
    When I became old enough to drive is when I really started getting into cars. I heard about a WRX and an STI and knew that was the car that I wanted!! Well about 3.5 years later here I am, now searching for the right Subaru. Ive been reading up on this site alot just trying to gain all the knowledge I can. I just sold my RWD summer car ( 89 5.0 Mustang GT ), and am left with my winter car ( VW ) I am a college student, have a good job and Im now looking to get into a car that I will be in for 5 years or so. Now is the time for the Subaru I have always wanted! Now, I have a few questions. I would not like to ask things that are posted elsewhere, so feel free to lead me there if they are.. I would just like some opinions for my current situation. I KNOW that the next car I buy will be a Subaru. I deal with winter, do alot of outdoorsy things, need reliabilitly with performance so the AWD is a must.. I am looking for somewhat low mileage (40,000 - 60,000)..What are your opinions on getting an earlier model with the 2.0 vs the 2.5? Is the power basically the same? I plan on doing very minor mods including TBE, CAI, and a short throw shifter. Will they each handle the mods equally? Has either been shown to be more reliable? Was the transmission improved with the 2.5? Any comparison information is greatly appreciated.

I will be driving this car hard, and this will be my DD.I doubt I will be taking it to a track... I have seemed to read alot about a weak 5 speed transmission? Like I mentioned, Im going to hammer down on this car once and awhile...aw who am I kidding..Im going to hammer down about 70% of the time I am driving! The LAST thing I want to deal with is a damaged tranny, halfway through paying this car off..Is it that unreliable? Any cheap ways to improve it without a straight up rebuild/swap?

I also want decent MPG and some practicality..which is why I am here. It ( WRX ) will be slightly less power than what I am used to, but the other pros to this car outweigh that..here is where my next question comes in. Should I wait up to two years to get an STI? I am pretty aware of the performance differences, and of course the STI is very, very appealing.. I am impatient which could be my downfall! It would be a step up for power, and just seems like an all around performance vehicle.. What are your opinions on this? Get a WRX asap, or ride it out with my lack luster VW for a few years and get an STI?

I guess thats about it, figured I would introduce myself..pop in now and again..learn as much as I can. Once I get my subaru though, I am sure I will be on here all the time haha!

Thanks for all the assistance and opinions!
    Last edited by Crockpot; 02-18-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: none

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Is the power basically the same?
    The larger motor produces more torque. Since the way to go is with the youngest car possible, ideally you'll get the larger motor anyway.

Will they each handle the mods equally?
    No. The earliest cars are able to handle mods without remapping the ECU better. Either way, add a tune to your mod lists, ideally as the first item.

Has either been shown to be more reliable?
    No.

Was the transmission improved with the 2.5?
    Yes. But all the 5spds can break, especially with increased power and/or racing.

The LAST thing I want to deal with is a damaged tranny, halfway through paying this car off..Is it that unreliable?
    No. But they do fail. Especially with increased power and hard use. The 5spd does not sound like a good choice for you.

Any cheap ways to improve it without a straight up rebuild/swap?
    No.

Should I wait up to two years to get an STI?
    At least. See what your insurance will be like, but make sure you are seated and there is someone to care for you when you are getting the quote.

What are your opinions on this? Get a WRX asap, or ride it out with my lack luster VW for a few years and get an STI?
    For hard driving get the 6spd car. Be aware though that either can be expensive to fix, and either can make widows.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the info, what is involved with a tune? I am not familiar with the whole tuning thing.. Basically I would have some mods, nothing major, and the ECU would just have to be tweaked to make the car run best with these mods? How does that work?
    I will NOT be going crazy with the it, like I mentioned just an exhaust, intake..some other minor things.. The way I am I would just like to buy everything I plan to do at once, install at once, get tuned once. Is that a good idea? Do I buy some tuner device and take it somewhere and they tune it? Sorry for the newbie questions, I am coming from a RWD V8..trying to learn the way of Subaru!

Also, another question! What are your opinions on the Legacy 2.5 GT vs WRX ? I do like them, I do not mind the more sleeper type look. There seems to be a higher maturity level associated with them as well. I have not done much research on them but arent they more powerful than a 2.0 WRX? I guess I am more concerned with the transmission. Do you know if they are the same? Would the legacy take the same abuse as a WRX would? Is the interior similar?

Could anybody tell me why Subarus are so exspensive?
    Last edited by Crockpot; 02-18-2010 at 05:18 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Generally the fueling, timing, and boost are altered in order to match the new components to the motor. For later cars this becomes necessary very quickly in any sort of modification process. There are DIY solutions with maps available for download, there are commercial products, and there are also shops that will do it all for you. From what you say your intentions are an intake will not be necessary; however, a new map almost certainly will be if you pick a car younger than 2003 and change exhaust components.

There are members here with LGTs better suited to answer the Legacy questions but in general they are a step up in room, interior, and apparently refinement.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Could anybody tell me why Subarus are so exspensive?
    Because people buy them. In a terrible year for most makers (2009) Subaru reported record sales in the US. They are popular in the snow belt globally, they are popular among outdoorsey types that do not want a larger vehicle, they are popular among sports people (bicycles, cayaks, tents, whatever), they are popular among dog people, they are popular among well-meaning eco-friendly-image people that don't want another Saab or Volvo, and so on.

Thanks SDGR for all the help, its appreciated! The price tag does seem appropriate, I am sure they hold there value quite well..Everybody I talk to who owns a Subaru loves them! I am really liking the idea of a Legacy actually. For some reason I never quite considered one. I have been comparing interior pictures and the Legacy won me over for sure. The more powerful motor is a huge plus. Its more than what I am used to with my Mustang, but it isnt quite an STI. I feel like I would need an STI if I were hitting the track..I dont think I would use it to its full capabilities now that I think about it. The Legacy seems to be everything I am looking for. Now a little information on the transmission and my decision could be made, maybe I should get an automatic?

I Support ClubWRX
    The "must" Legacy is currently a 265HP GT Spec B, that has the 6spd. I heard they want money for them though. But it's a very "Legacy" choice, very understated and looks quite modest, nothing glaring or LOUD or extreme, with a better interior than the older Imprezas and at least a larger interior than the newest Imprezas.

You know, since you are in college, I think the more you wait the better off you'll be in the long run. I know this because I made all the wrong choices in college (BTW, I went to college during another century, it's been a while even if it seems like yesterday!) and they just cost money and time -- two things nobody in college seems to have much in excess. The real answer is a dependable economical car, and the Subaru is thirstier and more expensive than something like a Civic (though it does have AWD, a huge plus in the snow).

Yes, I completely understand where you are coming from. I have been driving for close to 4 years, and my Mustang was my 9th car. I always bought some cheap beater and finally realized they just suck me dry with repairs..I go to school for basically free and can manage a decent car payment while still having a life. I took out a loan on my VW, thinking I would be sticking with the Mustang/VW combo for awhile but chose to just get into a newER car. I still have 2 years to pay, so I think it would be a wise decision to pay it off, use it as a trade in along with the other cash I save for a down payment and get the Subaru I defintely want. Maybe the Legacy will be cheaper by then and if I get a decent trade in and have a down payment, I think it will be quite afforadable. Now I just have to wait

Any potential increase in strength they made for the 06/07 transmissions was negated (in whole...in part?) by a higher final drive ratio. On my local forum there have been a few people lately who have lost third gear. At least a couple of them highly modified however.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Hmm well if it is up to par with an STI 6 speed I am not to worried. I plan to keep it mostly stock.. I wont be able to resist launching it at every light for the first few months of ownership though, so a strong transmission is needed

Just don't dump the clutch, and resist the urge to do third gear pulls every time you're in third gear. Have fun!
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Thanks, I will