2002 Bugeye Noob Owner needs Guru help!

This is a discussion on 2002 Bugeye Noob Owner needs Guru help! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Alright fellow Subie lovers I need advice, tips, and moral support. I am only three months deep into my first ...

2002 Bugeye Noob Owner needs Guru help!

Alright fellow Subie lovers I need advice, tips, and moral support.

I am only three months deep into my first wrx and have certain issues. I got my car as a repo so the history is unknown but the car needs a few things. First let me list the specs and mods...

Original 2.0 with 90k Aspen white sedan 5spd
    -Greddy struts
    -Fujits F5 intake that I think I need to swap
    -Turbo back exhaust w/no up pipe (need one now!)
    -17" Rotas, new Toyos, lowering springs, Wilwood fronts
    -previously married to a CObb, but I do NOT have the accessport
    -New NGk plat plugs

Here are my issues. Since I cannot flash due to the previous accessport I will buy a new one asap after??
    CEL is on due to no cat and a possible misfire on cylinder 3, but I think the bad plugs I just replaced solved this issue.
    Last I checked my boost psi was @ 13.1psi but after the plug swap its running like its lean or lagging at times.

So here is where I am at. I want to keep the car alive for as long as possible but it is lagging is certain areas hence my desire for a new Cobb. @2nd gear chugs a little and after I changed my plugs I think I lost the previous real-time map.

SO we have Surgeline/Cobb in town and they helped me out in telling me what I need to do..I got quotes for a Short ram SF intake since that F5 is kinda maybe messing with my fuel/air ratio.

Also an up pipe will help me from hurting my turbo. They quoted me on a Grimmspeed up pipe which I dont know is worth the $$

So any input on a less expensive intake and up pipe would be great and any other tips would be awesome!!

THanks
    Last edited by Shortround; 02-12-2010 at 02:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The stock Subaru intake and a stock but gutted Subaru up pipe should save you money.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So take the up pipe off and manually "hollow" out the cat crap and this should be good? Dont laugh at my terminology, I am far from a technician but capable of working on my car.

With going back to a stock intake this will help since I wont require a dyno or a pro tune, correct?

I ask since I know the cobb will be nice to have, plus it will help my car adapt to the turbo back and help utilize my boost like it should be..correct? My claims are kinda questions since I am learning as I go.

Thanks a lot!!

I Support ClubWRX
    This is what I would do...

Tactrix cable ots map stage 2

stock intake with k&n panel filter

invidia up pipe or up pipe with flex joint.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    You are in Portland Oregon??? Drive down and see Bobby at Performance Race Engineering or PRE.

Thanks Bo...

My issue is that my ecu is still married to the previous CObb that I do not have, do you think it would be a problem to un-marry it? I assume Surgeline (Cobb) could do this?

Also is an accessport an absolute must have due to my turboback?

Any other pros and cons would be rad.

THanks!!

(sorry if my replies arent placed right, this forum is new ot me too.)

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ya, I was gonna say, can't get tuned because his ECU is locked.

You have 2 options, buy a new ECU or send off your ECU to Cobb and pay them to fix it.

I Support ClubWRX
    ugh that sucks that the old accessport isnt unmarried. Well yea I guess you have to weigh your options at this point, if the ecu is cheaper Id go that route and save yours for back up or send off to cobb for a manual unmarry

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortround View Post
    Thanks Bo...
    Also is an accessport an absolute must have due to my turboback?
    You dont have to have an accessport, many people do opensource tuning now with a tactrix cable, some people use the utec from turbo xs, some people have AEM Engine Managements, there are others out there as well.