Switch to the short-throw shifter
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Switch to the short-throw shifter within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Looking to get some detailed opinions from anyone who has moved to the STI Short Throw Shifter-5 (MT) from the ...

ARX

Switch to the short-throw shifter

Looking to get some detailed opinions from anyone who has moved to the STI Short Throw Shifter-5 (MT) from the stock one. I've heard some say they didn't like it. I didn't opt for the short-throw with my WRX; I'm having regrets because shifting seems like such a chore. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i dont have an sti short throw but i've had my kartboy one for quite some time and its a huge improvement over the factory shifter.

many will recommend the cobb adjustable ones as well.

maybe try finding someone local so you can see for yourself what kind you like.

ps: make sure you're posting in the correct forum
    Transmission & AWD - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

the one you posted in was for new members to introduce themselves.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    I didn't like it. In my hand it provided no more positive feel or feedback than the regular shifter setup, while giving the user less time to find the right cog.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i installed a double adjustable cobb SS in my 09 and it even with the stock bushings.. it made a world of difference

I Support ClubWRX
    The issue with the OEM setup is that it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade for the money.

For less money than you'd spend on the OEM setup, you could get a package with a shift lever and all bushings, like this one, which would probably be better. I bought the same setup, and compared to the OEM short-throw setup, I like mine a lot better.

In the FAQ, there are install links for each of the items.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have the STI shifter in my 09 with the optional rear bushing and love it. It makes a huge difference in the feel and the throw from 1st to 2nd is only 2".

I have had spt shift kits with bushings in all 3 of my WRX's owned including a STI. They make a world of difference, as long as you go with stiffer bushings. Coming from an STI to an 09, it HAD to be the first thing I did.

I drive an 09 wrx with the STI short shifter and STI rear shifter bushing.

I first test drove a different 09 wrx with the stock shifter, and it was complete mush. I hated the feeling, but loved the car and ordered mine from the factory with the STI short shifter in hopes it would be better.

When the car arrived the short shifter was a definite improvement over stock, but it still felt sloppier than I wanted.

A few months later I installed the optional STI rear shifter bushing. Once that was installed, the difference was very noticeable. Shifting feels much more precise now, with all the slop gone.

I haven't ever driven with a cobb or kartboy short shifter (w/bushings), so I can't compare. But I will say I am quite pleased with the STI short shifter + STI rear shifter bushing combo.

I should add that I recently installed the STI Group "N" Engine Mounts, STI Group "N" Transmission Mount, and STI Group "N" Pitch Rod Stopper, and that transformed the shift feel once again--shifting is now smooth as silk, even during "extreme" driving conditions :-) Everything just feels totally solid and connected now.

Driving in stop-and-go traffic is also easier to deal with, since shifting in that situation also feels much smoother now.

Overall the combination of STI short shifter, rear shifter bushing, and mounts is a *HUGE* improvement over stock--they've completely transformed my car.

Absolutely worth every penny in my book.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.