Questions about potential 2010 WRX Purchase
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions about potential 2010 WRX Purchase within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello All, I am considering the purchase of a 2010 WRX and have a few questions: -How has reliability been? ...

Questions about potential 2010 WRX Purchase

Hello All,

I am considering the purchase of a 2010 WRX and have a few questions:

-How has reliability been? The car isn't rated well in Consumer Reports and Car and Driver did a long term test on a 2008 STI that ended up needing a new transmission, clutch, engine, and a few other odds and ends by the 20k mark!!! This is a little concerning.

-Do any of the cars have xenon headlights? I have them on my VW and absolutely love them - it's one of the reasons I purchased the car. Do any WRX (non STI) models have this?

-The VW turbo engine is easily (and reliably) tuned. I presume there are a host of tuners for the WRX as well. What are your opinions of them? Do the tunes cause clutch slippage? Other engine failure? I figure the car is fast enough out of the box so this might not even be needed!

-Has anyone purchased a 2010 model yet and what kind of pricing did you pay? I'm in Chicago and do not expect to pay sticker price on ANY car I purchase.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rovi7 View Post
    -Has anyone purchased a 2010 model yet and what kind of pricing did you pay? I'm in Chicago and do not expect to pay sticker price on ANY car I purchase.
    Do you mean you expect to pay above or below the listed price? I would always walk away from any above. Actualy if I see any car on a dealer's lot with "market adjustment" listed I leave the dealer altogether. IT is nuts and unless you live in an area without another dealer for 300 miles, you should walk.

Here in DC, I was quoted almost 3500 off of a Forester and about the 2500 off of a WRX. Of course that was bfore the big snow, bet it will not be as much of a discount now.

I bought a 2009 in September and paid around 2000 under sticker. I think that is getting close to invoice. I wouldn't pay any more than this. However, I did purchase an 09 towards the end of the season so they wanted to get rid of 'em.

Good luck!
    2009 WRX 5 door White - "wht out"
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Black - blown engine
    1988 Porsche 944 Black - sold
    1999 Honda CBR 600 - sold

Man just go drive one and decide. Dont worry about a stupid report. If you like a car, then buy it; simple. As far as a tune goes, it safer than factory. You can tell the tuner you want a daily tune for reliability. You can tune the car with or without mods.

Unfortunately, WRX transmissions have a reputation of being fragile and breaking after hard driving+tuning. However, 2009+ WRX trannies have supposedly been strengthened and many people are running stage 1-2 for 20K miles+ with no problems. I eventually plan to get a 2010 accessport once it comes out, though I will not be doing redline dump cluth launches

Anyone know if the Subaru VIP discount is still in effect? It was that you could join a subaru-partner club/organization and after 6 months of membership you would receive a VIP discount that dealers had to honor, getting the car priced at 2% below invoice. Here's some info on it, I think it still is happening.

How to Buy a New Subaru at 2% Below Dealer Invoice Without Haggling - Subaru Legacy Forums
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

I purchased a 2010 wrx sedan 3 weeks ago and I am so far loving it. I did not see where you live at, but keep in mind it comes with summer tires, which do NOT perform in the snow.

The FM radio just plain sucks. CD's and the AUX input sound... decent.

My advice.. just go out and drive the car, you need to make up your own opinion about the car, as it will become your car.. spending your money.

There is a very large tuner community for the car as well.

Good luck in your search!

Hello All,

-How has reliability been? The car isn't rated well in Consumer Reports and Car and Driver did a long term test on a 2008 STI that ended up needing a new transmission, clutch, engine, and a few other odds and ends by the 20k mark!!! This is a little concerning.

-Do any of the cars have xenon headlights? I have them on my VW and absolutely love them - it's one of the reasons I purchased the car. Do any WRX (non STI) models have this?

-The VW turbo engine is easily (and reliably) tuned. I presume there are a host of tuners for the WRX as well. What are your opinions of them? Do the tunes cause clutch slippage? Other engine failure? I figure the car is fast enough out of the box so this might not even be needed!

Hello All,

10k mi on mine now and no issues.. factory radio sucks, replaced it with indash pioneer.
    the sti does, the stardard and premium wrx have halogen projectors.. which I might add.. work very well in pretty much any condition you'll find. I'm a stickler for good lighting, the factory 2010 wrx headlights are quite adequate.

The wrx in this realm really isn't any different any any other tuner car. There is a strong following and lots of tuners available to help you out all around the country. As stated trans have been weak on earlier 5spd cars.. but I've not had any problems with my own. As for tune, I might be the minority here but drive the car first. She's quite quick in factory form+ no tune= no warranty questions if something might actually go wrong.

hahaha.. go see your local dealers and see what they have. If they cant keep em in stock your going to pay sticker (or very close to it) if they have em sitting around you have a much better chance for a deal. Only way you'll know for sure is to go have a look. When I bought my 2010 I got my local dealer to knock off the price for the nifty auto dimming rear view mirror.. that was about it. Here in Va beach they've had a bit of trouble getting new ones in let alone keeping them in stock.
    Go out and drive one it will tell you more than we ever could about whether you want one or not.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

JT7
    I am in the Milwaukee ares 2010's are harder to come by - especially the hatch. None that I wanted in (options) within 300 miles. So I ordered a WRX premium over a month ago and still waiting. Got some crazy deal that was 3400 under sticker and over 1000 under invoice (based on various sources). There are a few Subaru dealers in the area and no one would match that price.

I have to imaging there will be fewer 2010's as production for that model year is winding down.

Saw an 09 in the parking lot near a coffee shop today. Black, Rally Armor flaps, blackened tail lights. Made me want mine to get here that much quicker. (This belong to anyone here? Grafton Alterra )

As far as reliability - We bought a 03 Forester new (non turbo 2.5 and 4sp auto) and with minimal maintenance (wheel bearings etc) it is over 220,000 miles already.

Quote Originally Posted by JT7 View Post
    As far as reliability - We bought a 03 Forester new (non turbo 2.5 and 4sp auto) and with minimal maintenance (wheel bearings etc) it is over 220,000 miles already.
    Wow! Thinking about getting the wife a forester or an outback. This is good to hear...

MIne wants the tribeca
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

JT7
    Yea - I was actually thought about getting another Forester - the XT. It's just great car for the $$. I regularly tow a trailer, never get stuck in the snow or mud, carry's a lot of tools to and from job sites, pretty comfortable for the kids (not so much the 6'2" 16yr old), 100# dog etc.

However after testing one, my wife said it was not they type of car that is 'my car'. (plus that 4spd auto was killing me). So we test drove an WRX, she said that was more like me.

Now my son gets the quarter-million mile Civic handed down to him.

Man...you have a good wife!

I took so long to buy a car that my wife got tired of it and ended up saying "I dont care anymore...just get what you want!" It was my first big purchase (besides the house we just bought in July). I have had the $3-4k cars growing up. So this was a big deal for me...

i test drove the 2010 STI, wrx, and wrx wagon
    if you could i would go with the STI
    its more expensive but deff worth it imo
    or do what im doing waiting till 2011 and paying cash for a 2010 left over
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." Colin McRae
    "If in doubt, flat out." - Colin McRae
    Hawk-eye Alliance #999 06 0bp STi stage 2

"one of those newfangled 4 door 4WD rally car things from Japan that can launch a car from a dead stop like it was shot from a cannon" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk View Post
    or do what im doing waiting till 2011 and paying cash for a 2010 left over
    Agree - only reason i financed mine was b/c it was 0 percent. Smart decision Patryk!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast