Just bought my '05 WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Just bought my '05 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Looks good cuz it looks like mine lol ! It is such a fun car I am just starting on ...

Nice

Looks good cuz it looks like mine lol ! It is such a fun car I am just starting on looking for mods on mine as well and the forms have been very helpful so read the mod forms. Have fun fellow 04 owner !

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BugeyeWRXFTW View Post
    Don't mean to takeover thread but are you talking about a new boost solenoid oem or aftermarket?????
    Aftermarket. Such as Grimmspeed...veri nise!
    Last edited by Stitches; 02-10-2010 at 04:37 AM.

Update!!!!

Last edited by Sygnosis; 02-10-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Picture resize

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    was your car running a cattless UP as well? I wonder if the code was thrown b/c the EGT bung bypass was not performed correctly? Just a thought...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    was your car running a cattless UP as well? I wonder if the code was thrown b/c the EGT bung bypass was not performed correctly? Just a thought...

I have no idea....again, I am am super new to subarus...the cat closest to the turbo was already in place, the cat further back was added. For some reason it seems to me that the acceleration is a bit laggy, not quite as quick as it was before the install of the second( which is supposed to fix my check engine light). its like the turbo doesnt really kick in until around 3000 rpm, where before it was more around 2000rpm. at anyrate just watching my boost gauge it seems laggy for some reason. any input would be appreciated
    Last edited by Sygnosis; 02-10-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling errors

zax
    deleting the cat from the UP does move the powerband to the left by about 800 RPM... It's entirely possible that the car had a cattless UP and the dealership put a stock UP back into the vehicle. The deletion of the EGT from the UP (only on 02-05 WRX) may explain the O2 sensor code. Also, a stock 2.0L WRX doesn't hit boost threshold until about 3000 RPM. Do you experience turbo LAG or increased boost threshold (they are very different)?

Facebook me here

deleting the cat from the UP does move the powerband to the left by about 800 RPM... It's entirely possible that the car had a cattless UP and the dealership put a stock UP back into the vehicle. The deletion of the EGT from the UP (only on 02-05 WRX) may explain the O2 sensor code. Also, a stock 2.0L WRX doesn't hit boost threshold until about 3000 RPM. Do you experience turbo LAG or increased boost threshold (they are very different)?
    well, the cat that the dealer installed(the one directly below the turbo) has been on the car since I purchased it. The one behind it(the one i had put on today) I feel is making the car not as responsive, as it was with one catalytic converter, the boost threshold is the same, as the boost gauge never goes above 11 psi....but the turbo really is not hitting above 2-3 psi until I get into the 3000 rpm range, where as it used to push 10-11psi in he 2000-3000 rpm range before the installation of the second hi-flow cat.

to prevent dragging on an introduction post..I moved this to an approriate thread located here.

2005 WRX Dual Catalytic Converter Question

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Sygnosis View Post
    well, the cat that the dealer installed(the one directly below the turbo) has been on the car since I purchased it. The one behind it(the one i had put on today) I feel is making the car not as responsive, as it was with one catalytic converter, the boost threshold is the same, as the boost gauge never goes above 11 psi....but the turbo really is not hitting above 2-3 psi until I get into the 3000 rpm range, where as it used to push 10-11psi in he 2000-3000 rpm range before the installation of the second hi-flow cat.
    Boost threshold is the RPM range where exhaust pressure exceeds the inertial resistance of the turbine and the turbo starts spooling (approx. 3000 RPM for a stock 2.0L). Turbo lag is the amount of time taken for the turbo to produce peak boost after the onset of throttle (time taken for the exhaust gas to transfer full momentum to the rotation of the turbo). It sounds to me that you are experiencing increased boost threshold.

Here's the big question: you have a stage 2 car -- 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust intended to reduce exhaust backpressure. Do you have a custom tune or OTS engine management system like Cobb or ECUtek? If not, that's a major problem. It would make sense that the addition of another Catalytic convertor into the exhaust path would increase the boost threshold and also contribute some turbo lag as there is increased exhaust back pressure.

Facebook me here

Boost threshold is the RPM range where exhaust pressure exceeds the inertial resistance of the turbine and the turbo starts spooling (approx. 3000 RPM for a stock 2.0L). Turbo lag is the amount of time taken for the turbo to produce peak boost after the onset of throttle (time taken for the exhaust gas to transfer full momentum to the rotation of the turbo). It sounds to me that you are experiencing increased boost threshold.

Here's the big question: you have a stage 2 car -- 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust intended to reduce exhaust backpressure. Do you have a custom tune or OTS engine management system like Cobb or ECUtek? If not, that's a major problem. It would make sense that the addition of another Catalytic convertor into the exhaust path would increase the boost threshold and also contribute some turbo lag as there is increased exhaust back pressure.

wow..I have a stage 2 car? craziness! here I thought I had purchased a bone stock wrx..But to your question, I do not have a Cobb(i am slightly familiar with it), or an ECUtek..... It may have a custom tune, but as I bought it used I have no idea. I just need to figure out what my next step should be, in order to get this beast back to 100%

zax
    wow..I have a stage 2 car? craziness! here I thought I had purchased a bone stock wrx..But to your question, I do not have a Cobb(i am slightly familiar with it), or an ECUtek..... It may have a custom tune, but as I bought it used I have no idea. I just need to figure out what my next step should be, in order to get this beast back to 100%
    get an EMS or custom tune ASAP! running an aftermarket DP without a tune (or any engine mods without a proper tune for that matter) is a ticking timebomb. Pics from the rear of the car?

Facebook me here

What would an EMS or custom tune cost me? and if I do get a custom tune....what type ofcustom tune?

I Support ClubWRX
    Contact AWDtuning - I posted a link in your other thread.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    What would an EMS or custom tune cost me? and if I do get a custom tune....what type ofcustom tune?
    IMO get an EMS. Cobb has the AccessPort for $695, others are a little more expensive. If you want cheaper, you could find an open source map, which only requires that you purchase a USB-OBDII cable and computer software (around 100 bucks). I would go for the Cobb, just because in my experience they have great customer service, but I have nothing else to compare. It will be a great investment for you, and it will unlock approx. 50 whp given that you have a stage II setup. You could, of course, find a stock DP and install on your car for around $300, but it would be a downgrade of course. Either way, your current setup does NOT work with your current tune. Does the car have a catback exhaust? pics from the rear would be helpful.

BTW, you had said your max boost was approx. 10-11 PSI. That seems low... the boost should be as follows:

Stock - 14.5 PSI peak (second gear)
    Stage 1 - 15.7 PSI peak (second gear)
    Stage 2 - 16.5 PSI peak (second gear)

the 2006-2008 peak at 11 PSI though
    Last edited by zax; 02-11-2010 at 04:46 AM. Reason: none of your business!

Facebook me here

yea, it never breaks above 12 psi...ever. So I have contacted the closest Cobb auth. reseller, and they are seeing about ordering a access tuner for me...I just hate I dumped $450 yesterday into a hi-flow cat, and could have been just as well off putting 450 toward a tuner to bypass the o2 Sensor, and cleared the cat all together.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12