New 02 owner

This is a discussion on New 02 owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I recently bought an 02 WRX with a blown engine . Kid put a MRT turbo management system on it ...

New 02 owner w/ blown Engine and Rebuild

I recently bought an 02 WRX with a blown engine . Kid put a MRT turbo management system on it got ****y and boosted it to 20psi with no tune. Well short story I have a nice 6" hole in the block. Upside of the deal is it came with another block so in the process of swapping them. Just went and picked up the gaskets, water pump and thermostat to put on it anything else I should look for or replace? Car has 74980 on it and new block has supposedly 85k but looks like it has been recently rebuild or something because its in great shape. Well just thought I would say hi and see if anyone can offer any help! Thanks for looking
    Last edited by wrxed02; 01-31-2010 at 07:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to ClubWRX!
    Do the timing belt and inspect the timing belt rollers while it's apart too.

What engine are you going to be installing?
    "MRT turbo management system" you mean EcuTeK ECU programmer?
    Before you get in to boost make sure you have the ECU tuned properly.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Welcome to ClubWRX!
    Do the timing belt and inspect the timing belt rollers while it's apart too.

What engine are you going to be installing?
    "MRT turbo management system" you mean EcuTeK ECU programmer?
    Before you get in to boost make sure you have the ECU tuned properly.
    Plan on doing the timing thing and i have a new belt on the way it will be here tomorrow pending weather.
    I have another Ej20 for it
    The MRT turbo management might be that I have no clue as far as I know its just a box that has an lcd on it and lets you adj the boost, says MRT Turbo Management on it. The kid did not say anything about the ecu being messed with.
    Ya I dont plan on boosting it that much as of now, the dealership said it can handle 13psi

This is the Turbo management sys: Cart Product Detailed
    BOOST CONTROL TMS-3 KIT Ref
    The MRT TMS3 Boost Controller allows easy (safe) adjustment of your turbo boost. High and Low set points are adjusted at main box, reducing risk of accidently choosing too high a boost. Seperate dash control for linear boost adjustment. Fully electronic design ensures accurate boost, irrespective of ambient temperature and altitude, a weakness of pneumatic bleed systems. Includes the features: Built in seperate high quality MAP (pressure) sensor. Rugged reliability. Quality boost control solenoid. Accurate mapping. Stand alone design. Sensitivity control. High/Low safety settings. Linear control between safety settings. Water spray Control. On dash boost target display (LED). On dash water spray indicator. Digital boost guage with peak boost memory. Turbo timer with hand bracket anti theft input. Rich/Lean fuel mixture indicator. Closed loop boost control. Backlit alphanumeric LCD dashboard headset. Push button control. All functions user adjustable. 2 preset boost memory settings.
    Code: musse017e
    Price: AU$761.25 (Australian Dollars)
    NOTE: Australian deliveries must add 10% GST
    Last edited by wrxed02; 01-28-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Wow, that's an expensive electronic boost controller (~$680 Currency Exchange Site) This is the first time I've read about that one.

Do you know of any other mods on the car? Like a meth/alk kit?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Wow, that's an expensive electronic boost controller (~$680 Currency Exchange Site) This is the first time I've read about that one.

Do you know of any other mods on the car? Like a meth/alk kit?
    Not that I am aware of but still going through it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxed02 View Post
    Not that I am aware of but still going through it.
    It might help to post pictures of the engine bay, the people on the forum can see what's going on

Will do I will get some here today as the engine is set to come out today so I can rebuild it.

Welcome and good luck with your WRX build. Post up some pictures when you get a chance.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Well here is what we did today, was little harder then thought to be. One freaking nut on the trans behind the downpipe was a bit of a pain in the ass but we won that fight. We took a flashlight and looked into the hole and it looks like the front 2 pistons are destroyed, both connecting rods looked snapped. The engine is seized and will not turn over so its not going to be fun to get he torque converter and what not off, freaking autos.

Here is the hole!

Last edited by wrxed02; 01-29-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Wow, you've got your work cut out for you. Looks like you're making alot of progress though. Good work, keep it up.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by pdrpowerofWRX View Post
    Wow, you've got your work cut out for you. Looks like you're making alot of progress though. Good work, keep it up.
    So here is what we did today, engine came apart and took a solvent bath. Found/played with the broken piston and engine, moved as much as we could untill tomorrow. Tomorrow the engine should be back together and in the car, anyone have some timing tips?
    First up the work we did,

Her is the damage 20psi and no tune will get you, if you look into the cylinder and on the block you can see the hole that was torn in it.

Last edited by wrxed02; 01-30-2010 at 06:39 PM.