Oh my god, this guy has a macro
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oh my god, this guy has a macro within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, my name is Frank and I am seriously thinking about getting an 02 WRX. It's a local sale, ...

Oh my god, this guy has a macro

Hello everyone, my name is Frank and I am seriously thinking about getting an 02 WRX. It's a local sale, It has a salvage title but the car itself it's clean I will ask for a VIN number.
    Right now I own a 91 eagle talon and I was wondering what the potential of the WRX is compared to an STI? Because I was thinking of building a beastly talon with my tax refund but at the same time this WRX is pretty tempting. He claims it has zero issues and no body damage, he is asking $4400.
    My question is, is it worth getting a WRX for $4400? 220hp doesn't sound particularly thrilling to me, how much hp can you free up with intake, exhaust, MBC?
    Sorry for the noob questions.

Here's a pic of the WRX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to ClubWRX!

$4400 sounds like a good price, if the car drives straight, and runs well.
    Please read the stickies (FAQ's) in this forum Car Purchasing Forum - ClubWRX Forum

The STI has more potential due to it's larger 2.5L engine, better engine internals, 6-speed transmission, firmer suspension, and other various upgrades. However you're not going to find one at this price point.

When upgrading Subaru's it's important to follow the set mod path.
    Stage 1 : ECU tune
    Stage 2 : ECU tune, Turbo Back exhaust, (optional but highly recommenced Uppipe)
    Stage Turbo Upgrade : ECU tune, Turbo Back exhaust and uppipe, Bigger turbo (16G or VF34 are good choices for the 2.0L), injectors, fuel pump, intercooler

MBC's are not a good idea unless the ECU is tuned for it.
    Intakes are not generally recommenced due to the very efficient stock intake setup and their tendency to mess with MAF readings.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by frankozz View Post
    227hp doesn't sound particularly thrilling to me
    A 91 Talon TSI puts down 195HP stock, and weighs more than a bugeye WRX.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 01-25-2010 at 11:25 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally that talon is going to give you nothing but headache, motor after motor after motor... Not saying a salvage title wrx from what looks like compton in the background isnt but...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Oh believe me, this is my third DSM so I know they aren't the most reliable cars out there but they are quite easy to work on, how are wrx's? Any mechanical or electrical gremlins they are known for? I am looking to have this as a nice clean DD with a couple mods and have my Talon for the track.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    A 91 Talon TSI puts down 195HP stock, and weighs more than a bugeye WRX.
    Mine has a couple goodies

Or I might just sell the talon, I don't know yet.

My DSM buddies are giving me **** because they say it's a downgrade because it's not an STI. They say Evo or STI or don't get anything. I don't quite trust their judgement on this because none of them have ever owned neither a WRX, STI or Evo.
    Last edited by frankozz; 01-26-2010 at 01:43 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh believe me, this is my third DSM so I know they aren't the most reliable cars out there
    When a Japanese company somehow manages to put out a car worse in reliability than a turbo Fiat, that's saying something. I've had a DSM. Never again. While my friend's Punto GT motored along, my TSi was pushing a tow truck home and there was always the "I'll get round to it this weekend, I'll sort it out..." thing going on. Bah!

but they are quite easy to work on, how are wrx's?
    Much better, even for repairs. Better layout, better assembly planning, and better reliability. Ignition isn't as easy but it's a reliable system that won't need upgrading and requires little maintenance anyway.

Any mechanical or electrical gremlins they are known for?
    Yes. See the stickies for info but make sure you are looking at your specific model of interest, the cars have evolved and tend to have differences over the years.

I am looking to have this as a nice clean DD with a couple mods and have my Talon for the track.
    The Impreza tends IMO to turn and stop better anyway so it'd probably be more fun at the track too. Both cars have long gearing and both can have problems with a 2nd that's somehow too long and too short at the same time, but the Impreza pulls out of corners better.

My DSM buddies are giving me **** because they say it's a downgrade because it's not an STI. They say Evo or STI or don't get anything. I don't quite trust their judgement on this because none of them have ever owned neither a WRX, STI or Evo.
    What do they use to tow their DSMs?...

My list of DSM "to do" items, from memory:

Two batteries.
    Voltage regulator.
    Alternator pulley.
    Balance shaft assembly, thus oil pump etc.
    Exhaust valve, thus off comes the head etc.
    Transfer case.
    ECU capacitors marginal. First comes the swelling then comes the juice.
    A/C system.
    Fog lamp switch.
    Steering fluid banjo bolt fitting to reservoir.
    Hatch dampers.
    Lifter tick apparently not addressable no matter what, meaning pulled timing -- just as well, see above re: valve and balance shaft.

Some things were high quality on the DSM. The Mitsu turbos are all quality units, and the 14b is IMO ideal for a 2L road car motor (I'm a just-small-enough-turbo type of person). Others were just, well, rubbish. Award after award, club after devoted club, aftermarket product after product etc. but the car itself was just not on.

I'm not saying "buy an Impreza." In fact, look around, there are great cars today from all sorts of sources. But I think you can buy something just as quick, if not quicker than your DSM, without having to deal with the wrenching.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post

When upgrading Subaru's it's important to follow the set mod path.
    Stage 1 : ECU tune
    Stage 2 : ECU tune, Turbo Back exhaust, (optional but highly recommenced Uppipe)
    Stage Turbo Upgrade : ECU tune, Turbo Back exhaust and uppipe, Bigger turbo (16G or VF34 are good choices for the 2.0L), injectors, fuel pump, intercooler
    Not trying to benchrace or anything, but generally speaking what are stage 2's WRX's running in the 1/4? and what hp do they usually have? I know this is borderline bench racing but I just want a ballpark figure.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Personally that talon is going to give you nothing but headache, motor after motor after motor... Not saying a salvage title wrx from what looks like compton in the background isnt but...
    +1 .... where the heck is this car located?
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Car was purchased at Copart in San Diego and the guy lives in Mexico.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a '92 Talon TSi AWD right now, with mild mods, and had an 02 WRX. The WRX is a little more to fix stuff, if the issue occurs, but they are FAR less common to occur, and parts are easier to locate.

A Stage 2 WRX 2.0L is a far better driving/riding vehicle than the Talon, or DSM for that matter. Granted, the technology is 10-15 yrs advanced.

I've had to fix stuff on the Talon that is so random, to the point of I hate the car now. And it's the good 6-bolt/4-bolt setup.

Depending on the maintenance history of the WRX, you'd be better off spending the money on it, rather than mod the DSM and make it 2x more powerful, but 2x less dependable.

A Stg2 WRX will be somewhere around 180-190whp, YMMV.
    But it feels entirely different than the DSM power, mainly due to the better torque curve.
    Leaky valve seals, crank-walk, and blowing the dipstick tube out will be a thing of the past, if you step into the WRX.

BTW, I just sold my DSM, and the new owner will be here Friday to pick it up.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Thanks for the advice, I will go check out the car on Friday and if I like it I will buy it.
    I thought my insurance would skyrocket, but if I replace the Talon with the WRX it's only 3 dollars more
    I also need to register it under my name, it shouldn't be too much.
    I am excited
    91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Track Beast)
    02 WRX (Daily driver )

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the advice, I will go check out the car on Friday and if I like it I will buy it.
    I thought my insurance would skyrocket, but if I replace the Talon with the WRX it's only 3 dollars more
    I also need to register it under my name, it shouldn't be too much.
    I am excited
    You will also need a smog certificate to register it. This is the seller's responsibility, not the buyer's, but many sellers just ignore it and get away with it, sticking the buyers with a car that needs a smog check (a modded car may not pass...).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Carfax

09/08/2001 96 California
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Corona del Mar, CA Odometer reading reported
    10/04/2001 California
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Corona del Mar, CA Title issued or updated
    First owner reported
    Registered as
    personal vehicle
    10/08/2003 30,649 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
    09/10/2004 45,264 Service Facility Washed/detailed
    08/24/2006 66,823 California
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Corona del Mar, CA Title issued or updated
    Registration updated when owner moved
    the vehicle to a new location
    09/25/2008 81,162 California
    Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection
    12/19/2008 87,548 Pep Boys
    San Carlos, CA
    650-632-1522
    Tires, Auto Parts, Auto Service, Accessories & Car Care | Pep Boys Transmission checked
    06/18/2009 California
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    San Francisco, CA Registration updated when owner moved
    the vehicle to a new location
    06/23/2009 95,409 Insurance Company TOTAL LOSS VEHICLE
    Vehicle declared a total loss
    Collision damage reported
    08/31/2009 California
    Motor Vehicle Dept. Title or registration issued
    to insurance company
    08/31/2009 California
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Fairfield, CA SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED
    01/29/2010 Subaru of America No recalls open for repair
    02 WRX (Daily driver )

I Support ClubWRX
    Pass
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Really? I was planning on looking at it today and depending on how it looks/drives I was going to buy it.
    02 WRX (Daily driver )

I agree with Rogan, but it's your call.
    Jay for Justin.

Facebooook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.