Newby Intro

This is a discussion on Newby Intro within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, my name is Melissa and I am looking to buy a Wrx this month. I live just west ...

Cool Newby Intro

Hello everyone, my name is Melissa and I am looking to buy a Wrx this month. I live just west of Panama City, FL and I previously owned a Grand Am GT and had nothing but problems with the engine. My Boyfriend owns a 06 WRX and after riding with him I really want a wrx for myself.

I just went to Tallahassee this past weekend to look at an 02 and I need some good advise.

The listing price for the car I looked at is $11,765 and its an 02 with 85,000 miles. We looked over the car and I found some problem spots. Hail damage on the roof (only),It looks as if they replaced the hood and trunk with shiny new paint. Fog lights are cracked but still work, a small hole in the Drivers seat, and some door dings as well...

Im waiting to hear back if the bank will finance the car for me, but I figure maybe when I get approval I will talk the dealer down to a lower price. The KBB shows the car in Exellent condition at 10,600 and I was wondering what you all think a good price for this vehicle would be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I personally have seen Bugeyes go for that price with much much lower mileage, especially '02 MYs. If anything I would suggest waiting for an '03 in better condition and with lower miles.

Welcome to the club, good luck with your search.
    Jay for Justin.

Facebooook

I'm shopping around for my 04 wrx and I have seen this come up, that car sounds like it's been abused. But since that stuff is pretty basic i suggest running a carfax it might have been in an accident. Take it to a shop, and have them put it up on the lift if it checks out low ball them.

Walk away from that car.
    2009 WRX
    2001 Audi S4 (Sold)
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 458rwhp/458rwtq(Sold)
    1996 Mystic Cobra 455rwhp/400rwtq (sold)
    1999 BGC T/A 377rwhp/360rwtq (sold)
    2004 Silver Cobra 600rwhp/540rwtq (sold)

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, I'd pass on this car. With that said, I'll give you my $.02 on purchasing a used Subaru WRX/STi ...

Price: whatever you're willing to spend.

This is a game played between buyer/seller. Know your top-dollar spending amount, and don't go above it. Get an appraisal from NADA and Edmunds as well - these are more of a "buyer-friendly" estimate. Have the cheapest one printed out, and go with that in-hand. If you can get the average of the highest/lowest, that'd be reasonable, IMO.

Pre-purchase things to do:

Carfax: We had a member on here buy a car without doing this and then complaining that he got a salvage-titled vehicle. It's $20, and worth it for "peace of mind". Not every accident may show up on the Carfax (if the person paid out of pocket and didn't claim it to insurance, it may not be there), but it'll give you a good ballpark - this is where your gauging of the sellers honesty comes into play.

Used car inspection: bring the vehicle to a mechanic you know and trust. Have them look everything over on the vehicle for any problems you may have missed. This should run ~$100. If you're traveling a distance away to buy the car, bring it to a local dealership.

Compression/leakdown test: this is important to give you an idea of the "healthiness" of the motor.

Test drive: don't be afraid to push the car on the test drive, even if the seller is with you. I'm not saying to beat it like a cheap hooker, but make sure you let the car stretch its legs (see if you notice anything then).

Modifications: what modifications (if any) are done to the vehicle? Again, this is something you need to gauge the sellers honesty about. Check bolts around the turbo, there are heatshields around the exhaust manifold, etc. to see if you notice signs of the famous "back to stock" mod people do when selling a used WRX/STi. Modifications decrease the value of the car, so don't let them bait you with "extra $5K in parts" to get you to spend more than you want.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The dealer did mention that the car has a carfax report, I just didnt ask for it cause I wanted to make sure that I was able to buy first.
    It is bone stock, my bf looked over the engine so he would know more about it than I would. It drove great shifted good he did get on it and he said everything felt good.

Im still looking, I really wanted a 04-05 but the 02 has been the closest to my location thats the only reason we went to look at it, It jst seemed that it was a bit pricey to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheTaz View Post
    Im still looking, I really wanted a 04-05 but the 02 has been the closest to my location thats the only reason we went to look at it, It jst seemed that it was a bit pricey to me.
    If you really want an 04-05, wait for an 04-05. If the funds aren't there, save and wait a little until they are. Don't settle for less, that's my opinion.
    Jay for Justin.

Facebooook

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheTaz View Post
    The dealer did mention that the car has a carfax report, I just didnt ask for it cause I wanted to make sure that I was able to buy first..
    Sometimes just looking at the report first will turn you away depending on what it says.
    2009 WRX
    2001 Audi S4 (Sold)
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 458rwhp/458rwtq(Sold)
    1996 Mystic Cobra 455rwhp/400rwtq (sold)
    1999 BGC T/A 377rwhp/360rwtq (sold)
    2004 Silver Cobra 600rwhp/540rwtq (sold)

Yeah you guys are right, I think I will keep looking for an 04-05, cause I dont want to settle for this one and down the road regret not waiting...

Unfortunatly im a very impatient person and I dont have a car right now and it sucks to have to get a ride to work everyday... lol

Well I will do some more research and hopefully I will find one within a month or so. Thanks for the welcome and hopefully I will get a chance to meet some of you this year!