new the these forums--should i buy an STi/WRX

This is a discussion on new the these forums--should i buy an STi/WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey thanks for looking im considering a STi, but first i wanna know some things about the car, im not ...

new the these forums--should i buy an STi/WRX

hey thanks for looking im considering a STi, but first i wanna know some things about the car, im not really looking for big power. i really like the MazdaSpeed 6's i know those arnt all that quick but like those cause they're rare. as for as the WRX STi's whats some known issues, common problems stuff like that. what kinda numbers can you expect from a lightly modded BPU one (intake exhaust boost increase...etc) thanks

btw heres my ride 1989 Supra 1JZ

aww cant get to photobucket from school...ill put them up later

Edit: forgot to mention im looking at '02ish to 07's
    Last edited by Jedyboyrokr; 01-12-2010 at 07:17 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I drove both the 09 wrx and 09 STI. I chose to get the WRX. The differences were more in the braking, tranny, and suspension. As far as acceleration it felt about equal to me at least. I also chose the WRX because it was about 12K cheaper than the STI I had looked at which was 40K.
    2009 WRX
    2001 Audi S4 (Sold)
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 458rwhp/458rwtq(Sold)
    1996 Mystic Cobra 455rwhp/400rwtq (sold)
    1999 BGC T/A 377rwhp/360rwtq (sold)
    2004 Silver Cobra 600rwhp/540rwtq (sold)

I Support ClubWRX
    You'd have to elaborate one what year STi you're looking for. Each year has it's own set of common/known issues.

Also, the Search function is your best friend on what kind of power to expect and what mods you need to make it happen. I'll start you off with the simpliest way to power and then you can take a look around from there.

Step 1: Engine Management. Need some sort of ECU control in order to make sure you're STi is operating correctly based on what mods you end up going for. See the Stickies here Tuning: Electronic Engine Management - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums Cobb AccessPort is plug and play and you could get more complicated (I shouldn't say complicated, I just mean it will take some serious reading and comprehension) with Open Source Tuning.

Step 2: Downpipe. The downpipe is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system and going catless or high flow cat is the easiest way to release initial power. Info on engine mods here: Engine Modifications - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

Step 3: You're going to be anxious to buy a Cold air intake, blow off valve and/or a boost controller but read about them thoroughly before doing anything like that.

Step 4: After you've done some poking around on the site and still haven't found what you're looking for. Ask in the section the question applies to.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Ying; 01-12-2010 at 06:13 AM.

Welcome to the forums. You will notice a big difference when driving an AWD WRX or STi when compaired to your MKIII. However, you will also notice a power decrease. That can be addressed after modifying the WRX or STi. Read the above links and again, welcome.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo