Recently Joined. . . And Snow Tire / Rim Question

This is a discussion on Recently Joined. . . And Snow Tire / Rim Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi Everyone -- I'm fairly new to the club, joined in late December. On my 2nd WRX [first was a ...

Recently Joined. . . And Snow Tire / Rim Question

Hi Everyone --

I'm fairly new to the club, joined in late December. On my 2nd WRX [first was a 2003].

Quick question -- I've had snow tires / aftermarket aluminum rims on since November [kept stock rim size / diameter for ease]. Recently I noticed that I bent of the rims . . . they're not the most expensive [MB Seven Xs from Discount Tire - $98 a piece] so I'll probably just cough up the dough for another one.

However, do you think I can ride out the season on the bent rim? No illumination yet from the TPMS sensor idiot light so I don't think I'm losing air and my alignment feels OK so at this point I'm thinking of just leaving things as-is and changing it out after the season is over. . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Josh0979 View Post
    Hi Everyone --

I'm fairly new to the club, joined in late December. On my 2nd WRX [first was a 2003].

Quick question -- I've had snow tires / aftermarket aluminum rims on since November [kept stock rim size / diameter for ease]. Recently I noticed that I bent of the rims . . . they're not the most expensive [MB Seven Xs from Discount Tire - $98 a piece] so I'll probably just cough up the dough for another one.

However, do you think I can ride out the season on the bent rim? No illumination yet from the TPMS sensor idiot light so I don't think I'm losing air and my alignment feels OK so at this point I'm thinking of just leaving things as-is and changing it out after the season is over. . .
    its $98!!! Dont risk it, if a wheel folds on you its going to be a lot more than that!!
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

rim folding? How would that happen? I drove my subaru in the snow without chains and snow tires just drifted a bit haha

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    The rim of a wheel can be slightly bent with no consequence. What matters if it's bent enough to leak air or if it's bent so bad the wheel itself is bent. All that weight is not distributed on leading edge of the lip.

Thanks everyone--

It doesn't look like major structural rim damage. I would characterize it more as a "slight bend." I'm probably gonna go ahead and order another rim in the next few days to have on hand, however, unless this rim starts causing an air leak in the tire, I'll probably just leave it alone.

If it appeared the wheel was totally fried I'd be more inclined to change it out right away. . .

take it to your nearest tire place and have them look at it. it would probably be free and they would give the best opinion
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

Remove the rim from the car and take a GOOD look at it to make sure there are no hidden structure cracks in the area of the bend. Personally if the car is not pulling or shaking at speed I would say drive on after inspection and keep it below 100.
    2009 STI WRB
    The light at the end of the tunnel is most likely an oncoming train