New Guy... Need help please

This is a discussion on New Guy... Need help please within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys the name is Will. I've been browsing around this site for about 2 months now and I really ...

New Guy... Need help please

Hey guys the name is Will. I've been browsing around this site for about 2 months now and I really want a WRX. I have been trying to get a WRX and an opportunity has arised. It is an 02 wrx with a brand new engine. I don't know exactly how many miles the body has on it, I'd assume around 100,00, but it does need a paint job. If I get the paint job done I have roughly $17,000 to play with for parts for the body or anything else. Should I go ahead with this deal or wait for a better car to come along?

Thanks in advanced.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    First post? Welcome to the Club!

Assume it's 100k miles? I'd keep looking. New engine? Unless you know the rebuilder "new" can mean many things. You still have the rest of the drivetrain and suspension to be concerned with.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    with 17k to play with i'd look for an 06-07 wrx. the engine was upgraded from a 2.0L to a 2.5L which takes better to modifications. there were a lot of other upgrades as well

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Bugeyes ('02 / '03 WRX) will always hold a special place in my heart, but I agree... if you have $17k to spend, go with the newer platform.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Oh man I messed up and hate to do this to everyone who responded but I meant to put $1,700 and NOT $17,000. So to clear everything up, if I trade my car for the wrx and get the paint job I will have about $1,700 to play with. So should I try for it or just move on and wait for something else?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

how much are they asking for the bugeye?
    why was the engine replaced?
    what other work was done to it?
    how much would you be spending on paint?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

They want 7k for the bugeye which leaves me with 3k left.(10k all together)
    Idk why the engine was replaced but I'm supposed to go look at it today or tomorrow.
    And I'd be spending 1,300 on a brand new GOOD paint job

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

100k miles

Me personally... If I needed a reliable car - I wouldn't go with one that has 100K+ miles on it. Even if the engine is "new", that doesn't mean the transmission and electrical components won't fail in a week.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

The difference one "0" makes lol.

I say wait it out until another Bugeye comes around. One with a body in much better condition, lower mileage, and one that didn't have a rebuild. Or if you can, I'd suggest to wait until you have more money to get an 04+ model.
    Jay for Justin.

Facebooook

Yeah I see where you guys are coming from. My bad on the "0" haha. But im going to look at it tomorrow and check it out anyways because I can always say no. Thanks for the help and hopefully pretty soon I'll be posting something on me actually having a wrx.

I Support ClubWRX
    $7,000 for a bugeye that needs a paint job that has a new motor is probably a little steep of a price to be honest with you. I guess if it has a clean title and you are mechanically inclined enough, and have a decent income Id consider purchasing the car.

Where can you find a paint job for 1300? That is a very very very cheap price, probably just enough to cover materials with a little labor to spray the car... Does this thing have any dents or dings? You may want to consider this because if your laying down a new paint job all those dings, dents and others are going to shine and just make you mad.

Id probably look elsewhere. To be honest 10,000 is a good chunk and you can find a great bugeye for that, not one that the previous owner beat to ****.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC