2007 STi or 2010 WRX?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2007 STi or 2010 WRX? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello All, I've been lurking here for awhile and decided to finally post and ask for advice. I have an ...

2007 STi or 2010 WRX?

Hello All,

I've been lurking here for awhile and decided to finally post and ask for advice. I have an 07' Legacy whose lease is up in a couple of months. I had originally planned on buying a 2010 WRX. However, a few weeks ago I saw a 2007 STi at a local dealer with 44K miles for less than $22K, and now I'm not sure. I know everyone has their preference, but what would you choose?

Here's the link to the STi:
    2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI NJ | Ramsey Subaru | Rt 17 Bergen County, New Jersey, 07458 - JF1GD76647L524211

It is certified pre-owned and has a clean Carfax. Only concern is that it was a corporate lease, but the car looks to be in good condition.

Thanks for your advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just weigh the pros and cons...

Pro for the Sti- its an Sti
    Con for the wrx- its not an Sti

But in all seriousness, it really boils down to want you want in your car. Which style is more you and what will fit your needs? Do you need a hatchback or will you buy a 2010 sedan? Wrx will have a smoother ride but not handle as well as the Sti. Do you plan on modifying? having that 6 speed will come in handy if you do.

Did you price for insurance yet? which is cheaper? Do you want new? do you want that break in period? its hard to beat a new car smell..

But in the end you have to go drive both and pick which one you like the most..
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

I haven't driven the STi yet, but I definitely think I'll prefer it to the 2010 WRX. I'll probably head over this weekend. Would you be at all concerned buying an STi with almost 50,000 miles? I've had 3 legacy's and never had a problem, but still it's a little bit of a concern even though it is certified pre-owned.

My biggest concern is high miles compared to age. You are out your 3 year 36k warranty that you would get with a new rex or any rex under 36 and less then 3 years old.

But it may be highway? Your just going to have to judge how the car has been driven in the past.

For me warranty is of utmost importance. I plan on keeping my 09 for at least 3-4 more years or more.. And being able to not have to really worry about is nice...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

Agreed. I wouldn't even be considering buying a used car if it didn't come with the 6 yr/100,000 mile warranty. And I believe I can purchase additional coverage to cover electrical, transmission, etc.

It wont be through subaru, maybe a 3rd party warranty... You have up until 36k or 3 years to get the extended warranty from subaru... Currently that Sti will come with the 5 year 60k warranty that only covers drive train and no wearable items like clutch etc. If you do end up getting a new 2009 or 2010 let me know.. I get really really good deals on subaru gold warranty's... i can hook u up with the dealer to help you out...

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

To me, that's a LOT of miles for an 07. Even if it's likely all highway since it's coming off a corporate lease. If the price were significantly lower, I'd maybe consider it. Brand new leftover 08 STI's weren't selling for that much more just a few months ago. Plus, the warranty on the new WRX would provide peace of mind.

PS if you're in NJ, you should consider coming to the Victory Brewery meet this Saturday!
    Victory Meet - January 9 2010 * Be there! *
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

I have a 2010 WRX and during the the course of daily driving have never really thought to myself "gee I wish I had more power". The WRX is plenty fast enough to get me a nice big ticket and its faster than 95% of the cars I see on my trip to work everyday.

Someday I will increase the power but for now I am happy. I would kill for a 6th gear though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    It wont be through subaru, maybe a 3rd party warranty... You have up until 36k or 3 years to get the extended warranty from subaru... Currently that Sti will come with the 5 year 60k warranty that only covers drive train and no wearable items like clutch etc. If you do end up getting a new 2009 or 2010 let me know.. I get really really good deals on subaru gold warranty's... i can hook u up with the dealer to help you out...
    If it is a subaru certified car it is a FACTORY subaru extended warranty.

You can also get whats called a factory certified wrap warranty which will cover all other items the certified does not.
    Last edited by T0rque; 01-08-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

^ subaru may offer other warrantys for 36k+ cars... But the warranty that I am speaking of you must purchase before 3 year 36 k. this warranty can extend your drivtran (5 yr 60) and many many mnay other things for up to 7 yr 100k.

You cannot get this warranty on a used subaru with over 36k or that is more then three years old.

Used subaru dealership may offer other warranties for the certified autos but that wasnt the warranty i was talking about. Nor will it be as good as the the plus gold warranty that he can purchase with a new 2010.

On the flip side to that the Sti may have had a plus gold purchased for it when it was under 36k. This warranty is transferable and he would be fine then...

I wasnt trying to say that he cannot get a warranty.. Im saying that a warranty from a new car is better then some wrap up warranty on used one. You will get more benefits and coverage. Seeing as how a new car is less of a repair liability.
    Last edited by Poohbear; 01-08-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    ^ subaru may offer other warrantys for 36k+ cars... But the warranty that I am speaking of you must purchase before 3 year 36 k. this warranty can extend your drivtran (5 yr 60) and many many mnay other things for up to 7 yr 100k.

You cannot get this warranty on a used subaru with over 36k or that is more then three years old.

Used subaru dealership may offer other warranties for the certified autos but that wasnt the warranty i was talking about. Nor will it be as good as the the plus gold warranty that he can purchase with a new 2010.

On the flip side to that the Sti may have had a plus gold purchased for it when it was under 36k. This warranty is transferable and he would be fine then...

I wasnt trying to say that he cannot get a warranty.. Im saying that a warranty from a new car is better then some wrap up warranty on used one. You will get more benefits and coverage. Seeing as how a new car is less of a repair liability.
    If the vehicle truely is a subaru certified used warranty and he purchases the wrap it is the exact same coverage he has on a brand new 2010 subaru for up to 6 years 100,000 miles.

If it is some aftermarket garbage they are passing off as subaru certified it is not worth the extra warranty purchase.

I Support ClubWRX
    I personally have a certified used with the wrap. Mine is covered directly from the manufacturer with 0 deductible, and is handled better than if I had purchased new with the 3 year 36,000.

I am not meaning to be a ****, Im just stating what I know since Im personally in his shoes if he would chose the 07.

Well that may be but just becasue the warranty gold plus needs to be purchased before the 3 year 36, doesnt mean doesnt do anything before 3 year 36... it increases benefits that the 3 year 36 doesnt cover. You get much more coverage from day one pf the gold plus not just after the 3 year 36.

So your extended that you got isnt surprising its better then the factory 3 year... I would be surprised if it was better then the gold plus though. unless you paid much much much more then one would on a new wrx...

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's my 2 cents. Having owned a brand new 2006 WRX (not STI) and a brand new 2010 WRX both; I would take the 2010. The comfort and overall quality (perceived mind you) has improved.

Plus with my 06 I had bought the extended warranty which did not cover all of the things that are covered standard by the newer model warranty. They now cover "cause and effect" where the older models did not. They cover wear and tear parts, brakes, rotors, 1 clutch, tires, and even wiper blades.

There is a lot of potential power from a WRX. Like the others have already explained your goals should be defined ahead of time.

Good luck!
    AJ
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.