2006 wrx maintenance

This is a discussion on 2006 wrx maintenance within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Bought a 2006 wrx about 8 months ago, and just crossed 60k miles. I had heard that it was a ...

2006 wrx maintenance

Bought a 2006 wrx about 8 months ago, and just crossed 60k miles. I had heard that it was a good idea to replace the timing belt/chain at this mileage so I called up my dealership. Service desk said that for my engine (2.5L) the belt is good till 105k, but that the 60k mile maintenance is still a very good idea (of course). Basically he said for $600USD they flush all fluids, replace spark plugs (buried by the turbo? and platinum tipped), and tighten belts. Is this service worth it, or if my car is running smoothly do I skip this? (No immediate plans to tune/upgrade, but maybe in a year or two.) Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From what I hear the plugs are a PITA. But you can always save money by doing things yourself so long as they are done correctly. Changing and checking fluids is a pretty simple task. Depending on your skill set and garage do the fluid yourself and have the dealer do the plugs? just a suggestion
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

I Support ClubWRX
    No you definitely don't skip the 60k service. You go exactly by what Subaru state in the owner's manual. To save $ you can do the easier fluids and filters yourself, using authentic parts where feasible, and keeping all dated receipts. Some stuff is a bit of a pain, like the plugs, and other stuff is best done with two people, like the brake fluid, so you may consider having the dealer do those two items while you do the rest on the list. Check the owner's manual for the full list.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

X2 on the receipts just for you records and when you go to sell the car. At 60k your probably out of warranty. Unless the previous owner got an extended warranty.
    Power bleeder for the brakes would help eliminate that second person. You can get a good hand pump power bleeder for $20 USD... Even with the tool cheaper then dealer.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime