Total noob from Chicago area

This is a discussion on Total noob from Chicago area within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everybody, new guy here from the suburbs of Chicago. Yesterday I picked up my first Subaru, a 2004 WR ...

Total noob from Chicago area

Hey everybody, new guy here from the suburbs of Chicago. Yesterday I picked up my first Subaru, a 2004 WR blue WRX sedan. I managed to find one with fairly low miles, the premium package, and in unmolested, unmodified, immaculate shape.

I'm loving the car so far, but it's a whole different world from the V8 Firebird I traded in for it. I can't wait to get started modding and this seems like a fun group of car guys to learn from as I move from one type of performance car to another.

So now I've gone from this...

To this...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    hey welcome & congrats on the new car

just a forewarning: the subie will be a PITA to mod if you're not familiar with them lol

i'd highly recommend doing a lot of research before you take the plunge in entering the modding world.

start with these:

Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

Here is what happens when you dont replace your up pipe. - NASIOC

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

i know it might be a lot to read but it's worth it!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    hey welcome & congrats on the new car

just a forewarning: the subie will be a PITA to mod if you're not familiar with them lol

i'd highly recommend doing a lot of research before you take the plunge in entering the modding world.

start with these:

Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

Here is what happens when you dont replace your up pipe. - NASIOC

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

i know it might be a lot to read but it's worth it!
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice! I definitely plan to do a lot of reading in the coming months before I do any performance mods. I'll be starting with some basic audio and appearance stuff, then moving up from there. Performance-wise, I want to start slow and do it right. This will be my DD for a long time coming (unless my automotive ADD kicks in again), so I want to keep it reliable and comfortable.

welcome! out of curiosity what made you decide to do the switch?
    i'm guessing it might have something to do with the snow in the subaru pic?

i have a buddy that has a supercharged late 80's camaro and man is that thing fast in a straight line on dry concrete... but its no winter car, he has enough trouble getting over speed bumps when its raining in the summer!

anyways enjoy the subaru, they're plenty of fun to mod once you get used to the flat-4. definitely wont give you the same torque as a big 8 though

-Alex

It definitely wasn't a decision I made lightly, and I'm always going to miss my 'Bird, but it was a practicality issue. As fun and sexy as the Firebird was, the back seat was a torture chamber for adults and it was expensive to purchase and to own. The WRX costs less monthly, is more reliable, and makes a lot more sense as a winter car (although with snow tires on the stock wheels my Firebird was pretty good in the snow). On top of all that, now that my wife and I are talking about kids, 4 doors and an exhaust that's not deafening seemed like a good idea. I had a muffler-less, chambered exhaust that sounded SICK but was very loud.

And yes, in a straight line, that f**ker pulled HARD. It was like getting kicked in the back

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Club!

Congrats on the 2004
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Welcome to the Club & Congrats!!

Definitely a nice upgrade.

Are you planning on tracking it/auto-x?? I see in the 1st picture it looks like you did that with the "Bird"..

Who's in the passenger seat of the WRX? (I can't really see who it is but it looks like a person is sitting in there)

~Jeff~

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Welcome to the Club & Congrats!!

Definitely a nice upgrade.

Are you planning on tracking it/auto-x?? I see in the 1st picture it looks like you did that with the "Bird"..

Who's in the passenger seat of the WRX? (I can't really see who it is but it looks like a person is sitting in there)

~Jeff~
    Yes, I am definitely hoping to auto-x it this summer. I started that in my Firebird and I'm completely hooked - way more fun than drag racing. The WRX should be a lot less fun for a drag race but way better in an auto-x.

That's my very bundled-up wife in the passenger seat.

Welcome. The WRX and auto-x go hand in hand. I'd suggest some suspension upgrades as your first order of business.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by pdrpowerofWRX View Post
    I'd suggest some suspension upgrades as your first order of business.
    +1 to that!

Swaybars are definitely worth the price. Also tires are a good investment too.