2000 plate bugeye turbo info please

This is a discussion on 2000 plate bugeye turbo info please within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi ive just joined the site and this is my first Subaru. I bought it knowing it needs work and ...

2000 plate bugeye turbo info please

Hi ive just joined the site and this is my first Subaru. I bought it knowing it needs work and as it was cheap enough and ive got some spare cash to play with i thought why not.

Symptoms:
    1. Smoking on start up
    2. Low boost and power
    3 Eratic idle

The car has a rolling road print out at 401 BHP and has had many engine mods. Would a replacement turbo be the way to go? If so could someone tell me what turbo i shold be looking for (Model code) Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm, a few things will need to be cleared up before we can give much help. Is your car a 2000 model WRX (not available in the U.S.), or a bugeye? The bugeye models didn't come out til U.S. model year 2002.

If your rolling road number is anywhere close to correct, then you do not have the factory turbocharger on the car. Did the seller provide you with a list of modifications?

Without a bit more info, it's going to be hard to troubleshoot your symptoms. It could be anywhere from bad tune to a loose hose to a dying engine.

Best of luck with your purchase, and welcome to the club!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 and Welcome.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hmm, a few things will need to be cleared up before we can give much help. Is your car a 2000 model WRX (not available in the U.S.), or a bugeye? The bugeye models didn't come out til U.S. model year 2002.

If your rolling road number is anywhere close to correct, then you do not have the factory turbocharger on the car. Did the seller provide you with a list of modifications?

Without a bit more info, it's going to be hard to troubleshoot your symptoms. It could be anywhere from bad tune to a loose hose to a dying engine.

Best of luck with your purchase, and welcome to the club!
    Just been thinking about this as i went out in the car before and it is performing worst. Its misfiring/popping and hesitating on acceleration until i get boost. There is a Apexi AVC-R Actuator Valve Boost Controller fitted that i was messing around with could this have caused any of the problems with the setup? As you can see im not familiar with this sort of thing so dont go too technical on me

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    hey mate from bolton, welcome to ClubWRX

do you have a UK spec WRX bugeye or a imported jdm spec wrx ?

--------------
    oh and ray, btw the usdm bugeye arrived in the USA in march 2001 as a MY2002
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 12-30-2009 at 03:23 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    hey mate from bolton, welcome to ClubWRX

do you have a UK spec WRX bugeye or a imported jdm spec wrx ?

--------------
    UK Spec mate. Ive also just been reading about fuel pumps and with the hesitation im thinking maybe the fuel pump might not be delivering enough fuel? Ive just seen a pump on ebay that i might buy its a 255 Walbro. As this car has many mods and im not familiar with tuned cars any help is welcomed.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi mate just sent you a pm (private message) pointing you to a closer at home UK based subaru club forums
    , not that theres anything wrong here just its mainly US based.

Lancashire & District Subaru Club:
    LADS :: Index

Tyne Tees Scoobies :
    TyneTeesScoobies :: Index

^i'm on TTS also

hopefully they can help u easier or recommend a good subaru tuner/mod shop that can help with your issuesas they are closer to your home area.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Does it have an MOT and receipts for maintenance?

It doesn't sound good mate...

But, I say try to see if the engine is sound. If so, it's a bit less to set it right. Otherwise it can be a bit more dodgy...
    Last edited by Pavia; 12-30-2009 at 04:05 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Yep.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Yep.
    Just to let you know mine is a 2001 not 2000 as posted. Ive found the problem that was causing the symptoms.

The fmic had quite a bit of oil in the system probably though hard driving over the years and has never been cleaned out. Since the original owner had done 92k Miles and had never cleaned the fmic as ive found out then the owner after him being a bit of a numpty who never looked after it.

All nice and clean now, Throttle body completely cleaned out and all pipework. Ive just ordered a new maf sensor and will also be replacing the Lambda sensors as the are more than likely to be contaminated too.

If reading this Weasel 555 hope you knee is ok. Stay off the ice....

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by daja1975 View Post

If reading this Weasel 555 hope you knee is ok. Stay off the ice....
    Dave,will do mate

glad you have sorted the scooby issues out
    "All We'll Drive"