Maintenance cost

This is a discussion on Maintenance cost within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I am getting ready to buy a 2010 WRX. I have noticed a few comments on here about high ...

Maintenance cost

Hi,
    I am getting ready to buy a 2010 WRX. I have noticed a few comments on here about high maintenance costs. Is the WRX really higher than other cars or is it more an issue of the mods people want to do. I currently drive a Saab 9.3 and it isn't cheap but usually the repairs are just regular maintenance, not stuff just breaking or due to me driving it too hard. Is the WRX dependable for a daily driver as other Subaru's are?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ive had my wrx for 4 years almost (bought it brand new)

the only maitenence i've done would be regular oil changes (they cost around 14-20 bucks depending on whether or not there is a sale)

& i've done my 30k service in the garage.

i'll be buying new brake pads soon which will probably run me another 150ish.

other than that, i havent had anything break & if it did, i'd just bring it in for warranty work. that's what it's there for

but to answer your question, yes the wrx is a great daily driver. if you treat it right and dont go TOO overboard with modifications, you'll get 250,000+ miles out of her.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Good to hear that. I have just seen some posts about repair costs and was worried. I talked to a guy with a 2004 yesterday and he hasn't had any problems with his. He said he has a stage 2 and it still runs great. We will be buying one as soon as we can find the right one. In South Carolina they are hard to find so we are searching all the way to Texas and Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    ive had my wrx for 4 years almost (bought it brand new)

the only maitenence i've done would be regular oil changes (they cost around 14-20 bucks depending on whether or not there is a sale)

What oil are you using? 5 quarts of synthetic oil at wal mart is $24 something with tax and a Subaru filter is $6.

Cost varies by region a litle bit and also depends on who is doing the service. If you do it all yourself you will be having minimal costs of ownership. If you pay somebody to do the service for you that is when it can add up.

Example : replace brake pads. Pads are 30 bucks at the most unless you are getting something exotic. It will take you at the most 1.0 hr to do it yourself assuming you have a decent floor jack and a good set of metric tools. A dealer or other mechanical repair shop will be upwards of 100 bucks or more.
    2009 STI WRB
    The light at the end of the tunnel is most likely an oncoming train

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_boy02 View Post
    What oil are you using? 5 quarts of synthetic oil at wal mart is $24 something with tax and a Subaru filter is $6.
    castrol 5w30 & whatever filter they have. usually bosch or fram

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessie
    Example : replace brake pads. Pads are 30 bucks at the most unless you are getting something exotic. It will take you at the most 1.0 hr to do it yourself assuming you have a decent floor jack and a good set of metric tools. A dealer or other mechanical repair shop will be upwards of 100 bucks or more.
    If you're going to pay for a performance car, why cheap out on brakes? My Carbotech Bobcat pads were ~$250 (much cheaper than OEM, and are a good amount more aggressive). Haven't had a chance to install them yet with the weather, but the brake upgrades can wait until spring no problem.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

maintenance question for a new STi owner

Hey there...
    I have a 07 Sti that I totally love, however it is my first Sti and there is a lot I'm clearly new to on it but willing to learn... I might already be having some issues with it (although frankly, it's probably more like the dealership that is screwing me). I'm not to the point where I can work on the car myself yet so I've been taking it to the dealer for tune up's and oil changes. etc.

My question is this.... my check engine light came on and they ran the almost $300 diagnostic on it, and they think my valves need replacing (already? with only 50,000 miles on the car?), and they of course want to charge me $2,000 for it. Yes, I am very aware that dealerships charge more, but is this ludicrous all together for it to cost that much and so soon?

They already stupidly swindled me out of a very expensive complete Brembo brake replacement. I know I'm being screwed here, but need some folks who know something about the Sti to give me some better direction. Can any Subaru repair shop (not dealer) repair the Sti without messing it up? Any bay area recommendations? Any help would be rad.