Can't wait until spring
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can't wait until spring within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I'm currently driving a 07 Cobalt SS/SC. Really fun car to drive, but not practical at all. My ...

Can't wait until spring

Hi all,

I'm currently driving a 07 Cobalt SS/SC. Really fun car to drive, but not practical at all. My wife is expecting, so it's time for something more practical that still maintains sportiness.

If all goes well, I'll be leasing a 2010 WRX hatch next April and I can't wait ! I'm very impressed with the performance numbers right out of the box.

The only mods I'd be interested in are BOV and axle-back to improve sound. (suggestions ?) By the way, does anyone know the stock exhaust size (diameter) for a 09-10 WRX ? Is it 3" ? I've been searching without luck.

Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

not 100% sure on the stock size....sorry

quick ? - why are you leasing? are you planning to buy after you lease it? Just never under stood why people lease cars.

Good luck - It's a fun car!
    2009 WRX 5 door White - "wht out"
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Black - blown engine
    1988 Porsche 944 Black - sold
    1999 Honda CBR 600 - sold

We're leasing because it's ~$250/month less than buying. Based on the Subaru Canada's website, with $2000 down, it would cost $681/month to purchase.

On our monthly income, we could easily afford this but my wife never owned/purchased a car before, so she doesn't really understand that $680/month is not that much for a good quality new car.

The lease monthly payment would be ~$435, which is close to what we're paying now, so she's happy. Not sure if we'll keep the car at the end... depends on how many kids we have by then.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXnewbii View Post
    depends on how many kids we have by then.
    Just remember, the WRX is a 5 seater

On the lease, I suppose if you wanted to ditch the car after your lease was up tat would be an appropriate alternative. But honestly it seems not financially wise. I mean, assuming you fall in love with it, you'd end up paying what? at least a quarter of the price to keep it at the end.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Quote Originally Posted by Pactin View Post
    I mean, assuming you fall in love with it, you'd end up paying what? at least a quarter of the price to keep it at the end.
    Turning the keys in and the end of a lease if the most logical step $$$ wise. Not too sure what we'll do then, but I'll start by enjoying the 4 years of driving the WRX and worry about options at the end of the lease.

Before you decide for sure on the BOV, have a read into how these cars behave with that modification.

This should be a good start:
    "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

Otherwise, welcome to the site!

There are many exhaust options out there; I haven't seen too many axlebacks though.

When the time comes, you should see if the dealer can locate/install the SPT exhaust. Many people seem to be pleased with the sound that the SPT puts out.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

save up and pay cash for your car. I know this might blow your mind, but it's the best way.

Leasing is the biggest ripoff and the most expensive route to having a car.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Before you decide for sure on the BOV, have a read into how these cars behave with that modification.

This should be a good start:
    "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

Otherwise, welcome to the site!

There are many exhaust options out there; I haven't seen too many axlebacks though.

When the time comes, you should see if the dealer can locate/install the SPT exhaust. Many people seem to be pleased with the sound that the SPT puts out.

Thanks for the link. After reading that, I'll probably stay away from BOV's. I'll definitely be looking at a muffler swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lengthwise32 View Post
    save up and pay cash for your car. I know this might blow your mind, but it's the best way.

Leasing is the biggest ripoff and the most expensive route to having a car.

You only get ripped off if you buy the car at the end of the lease.

no, go look online, leases are a total ripoff. You're just renting a car whether you buy it or not at the end. And dealers love leases, they are the most profitable.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i signed a 4 year lease back in sept of 06 for my 06 wrx. my lease is up in a few months and i have to decided if 1) i want to pay 12k cash to avoid getting raped with interest to keep my car or if 2) i just want to hand over the keys.

looking back on it, i never wouldve leased it to begin with.

just think about all your options before you jump in. if it suits you finanical needs/lifestyle/etc then go for it.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I don't think leasing is a bad option for someone who likes to get a new car every 2 or 3 years. I know plenty of people who are very happy leasing, and financially suits them. At the end of their lease, they just swap the keys for the newest model on the lot and away they go.

However personally, I'm a "buy" guy.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Yea, sorry i was so strong in my words. I don't own a new car every 2-3 years because you're paying for the huge deprecation which is greatest the first few years.

My Toyota Tacoma 4x4 I owned for 9 years, 5 of those were w/o car payments so I really got my money's worth. Plus it's just better to own the car if you're going to mod it.

I started listening to daveramsey.com and I will never use credit ever again with the only exception being a house. I'm going to have my 09 WRX paid off after only 16 months and from now on I'm going to save up and pay cash for anything and everything including future cars.

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    I don't think leasing is a bad option for someone who likes to get a new car every 2 or 3 years. I know plenty of people who are very happy leasing, and financially suits them. At the end of their lease, they just swap the keys for the newest model on the lot and away they go.

However personally, I'm a "buy" guy.

99% of the time leasing doesn't make any economic sense. Look at what it would cost to buy the car including interest payments, tax, etc and compare that to the total cost of leasing. Just remember when the lease is up you don't own a thing whereas when you buy you have a used car after making payments for x years, and if you take care of the car it should last many years beyond payments.

On the other hand, if you just want to show off a new car every couple of years then leasing is fine. Don't fall for the dealership trickery by believing a lower monthly payment somehow is better for your bottom line.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Yeah, I'm sure dealers love leasing and it's not ideal for the consumer. I guess I have the blinders on because I really want the WRX.

Originally, I wanted buy Caliber SRT-4 but Dodge's shady finances and the cancellation of the SRT-4 made me look elsewhere. The massive torque steer also scares me a little. The only problem, is that there are no equivalent cars out there for 25K that offered performance and practicality, so I said "to hell with performance cars" and decided on eventually purchasing a 2010 Impreza 2.5i hatch.

But,after visiting the Subaru site and playing with the numbers, I realized that the lease price on a new WRX is roughly the same as buying a base 2.5i. My wife knows nothing about cars and only looks at the bottom line, so she'll be happy with the monthly payment on the WRX and I'll be happy driving it.... Happy wife, happy life !

In the end, we'll go with the lease even though it makes no sense. I can't help it, I'm a performance car junkie. I'm very lucky to have an understanding wife since she also says leasing is not the best thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.