Pulled the trigger
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pulled the trigger within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Bought a 2010 WRX on Friday night. Blue w/ premium package, awesome car. Took it on a local ski trip ...

Pulled the trigger

Bought a 2010 WRX on Friday night. Blue w/ premium package, awesome car. Took it on a local ski trip the next morning, when we were leaving Chicago the roads were super slick (saw some cars in ditches) but the car handled it really well. Big step up from my '92 Saab 900 Turbo.

One worry I had came up yesterday. I was in at a light in traffic and accidentally killed the engine (very gently). I was in a hurry to get going and revved hastily into first before the gauges (tach, speedometer, etc) had time to settle. After stopping at the next light the engine ran a little rough for 1-2 min and I could feel some light vibrations. Seems fine now though. My main worry was that I revved the turbo before oil had a chance to circulate all the way through, and I may have caused some damage. Could this happen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome & Congrats on your '10 WRX!

How high did you rev it up?

Any updates? Is she fine?

-Jeff

i know there is an injector lock if you press the gas before the engine starts did it feel like it was running out of gas?

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi welcome aboard, and Congrats on the WRX!

I hope shes okay.
    I've never done that before so I can't be much help there.
    2005 SPT WRX Wagon
    "Watch out boys, because girls love mods on a WRX too!"
    Blobeye Syndicate Member #009

Quote Originally Posted by mr_orange View Post
    Bought a 2010 WRX on Friday night. Blue w/ premium package, awesome car. Took it on a local ski trip the next morning, when we were leaving Chicago the roads were super slick (saw some cars in ditches) but the car handled it really well. Big step up from my '92 Saab 900 Turbo.

One worry I had came up yesterday. I was in at a light in traffic and accidentally killed the engine (very gently). I was in a hurry to get going and revved hastily into first before the gauges (tach, speedometer, etc) had time to settle. After stopping at the next light the engine ran a little rough for 1-2 min and I could feel some light vibrations. Seems fine now though. My main worry was that I revved the turbo before oil had a chance to circulate all the way through, and I may have caused some damage. Could this happen?
    congrats on the car! I wanted a blue one but ended up with black instead.

About the quick start.. I've done this too.. nothing to worry about since it was just running with oil on the bearing surface and in the feed line under pressure.

It would be a very different story if this was a cold morning start after the car sat all night. That would be bad as there would have been time for the oil to drain out of the turbo circuit.

Fyi these cars have a funny vibe that almost feels like a skip or miss at Idle. Its normal and will happen more as your car breaks in. Freaked me out until I got used to it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Thanks + Accessory advice (snow tires?)

Hey,

Thanks for the information. I think it revved to just under 4000. Car seems fine, not sure about the running out of gas thing as I do not think I have been in that situation before. That comment about the oil still flowing in the turbo makes sense.

Thinking about accessories. My thought for a first wave was:
    1) Short throw shifter with STI shifter bushings
    2) Turbo boost gauge

and then either:
    a) Lower chassis brace
    b) Front tower brace

--or--

a) snow tires along with wheels

I have summer tires now, finding out that it's kinda tricky to stop in the current Chicago winter (granted this was on side streets when it was really coming down). I'd really like to avoid doing this since I consider the snow tires to be a really boring way of spending money, and I'm not a daily driver.
    I think it might be necessary though. I need to figure out what kind of wheels I should get, I was going to go the cheap route unless there were suggestions.

Thanks again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the Club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

spend for the snows right now, safety first.. get the goodies later
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I agree with mangostick 100% on this - snow tires first. If you're running on summer rubber, you are on borrowed time before an accident. Summer tires aren't designed to be used in temps below 40 and certainly aren't designed for grip on ice and snow (we get a lot of all of that in Chicago, don't we?). I just bought a WRX too, but mine is on all-seasons so I'm not too concerned.

I used to run a Firebird Formula year-round using snow tires. Even that car was a champ in the slick stuff with the proper rubber.

Congrats on the new car!!

Snow tire purchase

Went ahead and got some snow tires today, General Altimax Arctic. These aren't performance winter tires, but I figured I would not really be as aggressive in winter anyway so it was okay to go with regular winter tires.

This has made a huge difference even just considering my experience on dry pavement. Car grips much better, and acceleration is much improved. I can only imagine what performance winter tires would be like.

I was told that it's best to go down a size with winter tires, but I just wanted things to stay simple so I had the tires put on the 17" factory rims.

If anyone in Chicago is looking for a place to get Winter tires and to store them, check out Cassidy's. They charge $60/season (basically $10/month) to store your tires. This was key for me since I have no place to put a set of extra tires.

Thanks for all the input.

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

welcome to the forum!
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

ABS + T/C + Hill Descent Warning Lights

The day following the installation of my winter tires I went on a day ski trip. It was super cold out (was literally 0 deg F), but the car had been driving on the highway for ~100 miles, so I expect that the engine and other components were warmed up.

After getting off the highway, I stopped at a light. When doing so, I noticed that the brake pedal moved into the floor quite a bit more than usual (2-3" I guess?). After stopping, the ABS, T/C, and Hill Descent warning lights all came on.

We stopped and ate, I was pissed, then when we left and I turned the car back on the warning lights came off.

It's my understanding that these systems are all linked to the ABS, so I guess it makes sense that something wrong in the ABS system would trip off the T/C and Hill Descent. What I was wondering is if something with either:
    a) the installation of the winter tires, or
    b) the cold weather
    could affect the ABS system and cause the warning light to come on. Has anyone ever heard of or seen this? The car is a 2010, and this happened when the odometer was at ~900 miles.

Since I just put on 1000 miles it's time for the break-in oil change, I definitely plan on having this check on at the dealer this week.

ABS + T/C + Hill Descent Warning Lights

Hmmmmmm.........

My newly purchased 2009 CPO WRX with 5k miles on it has exhibited the same symptoms perhaps 3-4 times now.

Let's stay in touch to compare notes.

I have not had it back in for service OR to have this looked at locally by my dealer yet.

Cheers!

wow, damn that sucks. I'd def mention that to the dealer when you bring it in. I've got over 8k on mine now and its been perfect aside of some minor interior panel vibration/rattling over expansion joints.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast