Introduction

This is a discussion on Introduction within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. My name is Don. I'm in the Air Force and currently stationed in ...

Introduction

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. My name is Don. I'm in the Air Force and currently stationed in valdosta, GA. I just made the most memorable purchase of my life on my very hard to find unmolested 05 STi. I could use some advice and that's what I've come here for. Any starter pointers would be great. I'm not new to turbo vehicles so its not necessary to fill me in on turbo fundamentals. I also owned a 95' skyline which, at present, was quicker than the STi. I expect to learn much here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome and congrats on the STi. I had an 05 STi once upon a time. Miss it very much.

What are you plans for the car? Answering this question will greatly enhance every members ability to help you on your goals. Most people being with the typical Stage 2 setting (TBE and tune).
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Well the car is going to be my everyday driver. If possible, I would like to have a daily driven 11 second car. I hear its not hard to do. I drive relatively modest so maintenance shouldn't be too much hassle. I already have an exhaust from the cat converter back as well as intake and oil catch can. I really love the reaction that bolt ons have on turbo cars so if anyone has any quality parts for sale I'm open for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 05AspenWhite View Post
    Well the car is going to be my everyday driver. If possible, I would like to have a daily driven 11 second car. I hear its not hard to do. I drive relatively modest so maintenance shouldn't be too much hassle. I already have an exhaust from the cat converter back as well as intake and oil catch can. I really love the reaction that bolt ons have on turbo cars so if anyone has any quality parts for sale I'm open for that.
    Nice choice on the purchase my friend and welcome to the forums check the classifieds for any parts. Just whatever you do I dont recommend doing a VTA Blow Off Valve that part is a sore topic among many subie owners. But other than that you sound like your going down the right track my friend

Thanks for the pointer. You have a nice ride.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.

I don't feel like shoveling snow right now (which, I really should be doing, but I'm lazy)

To get into the 11s, it's going to be tough with the stock turbo, so you'll probably need to upgrade. If you're going to do that, I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than a 20G, which would still be a solid DD turbo.

This is the modpath I'm working on, so I'll shed a little light.

The first step to modifying your vehicle is to choose your tuner. This is the most important aspect to the way your vehicle performs and lasts. Peruse around here, Nasioc, and IWSTI for reviews on tuners. Just because a person calls themselves a "tuner", it doesn't mean they're worth anything. Once you've decided on a tuner, you need to bounce your modification ideas off of them. Tuners prefer certain engine management, intakes, injectors, boost control, methanol/alcohol injection. The brand of exhaust you buy isn't really something you need to discuss with them - read reviews on the forums to find out the fitment/duration quality of the parts.

The first power modifications you should be looking at, as said, is a quality aftermarket turboback exhaust. This is something that is best bought used in the classifieds section here or on Nasioc. An exhaust will only be shiny for a little while, and isn't really seen much, so why spend $$ on new parts when you can save a chunk of change buying used - plus, you're helping out a fellow Subaru owner out in the process.

You'll want a form of engine management to go with that exhaust. Since you have plans beyond StageII (turboback exhaust and ECU remap), your choice needs to be determined after you've decided on who will be tuning your vehicle.

Turbo: Blouch TD05H-20G with the upgraded 8cm^2 exhaust housing (this upgrade is CRUCIAL to the 2.5L engine). There are cheaper ones on the market, but Blouch is the only one that comes with the TD06 compressor housing from the factory, as well as ported/polished. They also have an awesome reputation.

Now, you've got your TBE and turbo picked out, now it comes time for supporting modifications.

Your OEM fuel system will not be up to par for the upgraded turbo. A Walbro GS342 fuel pump is considered the "standard" - don't bother with the install kit, just get the pump itself. Next, comes injectors. You could probably get by with ~750cc injectors, but to give yourself some headroom, I'd go with 850cc. The brand should be something you consult with your tuner about, but DeatschWerks are modified OEM injectors that retain the cap for optimal spray pattern, and are a solid choice.

This would be a bare-minimum 20G setup. However, to "do it right" requires more modifications ...

You're going to want a quality aftermarket I/C now. The stock one could work, but it will hold you back. For me, cost is a factor, so I'm sticking with TMIC. A few good brands to consider are TurboXS, Perrin, APS, and Spearco. A FMIC will allow you to run more timing/boost, and therefore, will net you more power, but it's more expensive. Brands to consider are the ones I mentioned above except for Spearco (AFAIK, they don't offer a FMIC).

TGV-deletes. These were installed by Subaru to help with cold-start emissions. Get rid of them.

You'll probably need a different aftermarket intake. With the 20G, you may be close to maxing out the MAF with a stock-sized intake, so you may need to go larger. APS and KSTech both make good "big MAF" intakes. The Perrin one is decent, but the filter they supply you with is foam, so you'll need to swap that out ASAP for a K&N/AEM filter. Since you'll be replacing the turbo, it would also be a good time to replace the turbo inlet. If you go with a silicone inlet, make sure you get one that's reinforced to prevent collapsing (e.g., Samco or the new Perrin ones). APS makes a hard inlet, which won't collapse. A post-MAF pipe is cheap as well, grab one (e.g., Perrin, Cobb, Samco).

Aftermarket EWG Uppipe. Look for a pipe that does not have the flange welded at a 90 angle, but tapers. Grimmspeed used to have the first type setup, but have since gone to a tapered flange, and would be a good choice.

Exhaust manifold. Aftermarket headers are prone to cracking unless you spend big $$ (e.g., Full-Race). Another option would be to port/polish your OEM ones. Crucial Racing will PnP the elbows, and Grimmspeed also offers this service. The nice thing about them is they have a "core charge" which means you pay $XX extra, and they refund it when you return your manifolds to them (READ: no vehicle down time)

Aftermarket boost control. A BCS/MBC is something that tuners will have a preference on. They both have pros/cons.

Quality gauges. You want to know as much about the vehicle as possible at this point.

Power-wise, that would be a solid 20G setup. However, you've spent all that $$ into your engine, but have neglected three other very important aspects of modifications: suspension, driveline, and brakes. We can leave that for another thread.

Enjoy the car and happy modding
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-10-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for the pointer. You have a nice ride.
    thank you and your very welcome thats what we are here for to all help each other out my man

I Support ClubWRX
    matt... you wrote td05 and td06... I'm assuming you only meant td06
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Welcome to the club.

I don't feel like shoveling snow right now (which, I really should be doing, but I'm lazy)

To get into the 11s, it's going to be tough with the stock turbo, so you'll probably need to upgrade. If you're going to do that, I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than a 20G, which would still be a solid DD turbo.

This is the modpath I'm working on, so I'll shed a little light.

The first step to modifying your vehicle is to choose your tuner. This is the most important aspect to the way your vehicle performs and lasts. Peruse around here, Nasioc, and IWSTI for reviews on tuners. Just because a person calls themselves a "tuner", it doesn't mean they're worth anything. Once you've decided on a tuner, you need to bounce your modification ideas off of them. Tuners prefer certain engine management, intakes, injectors, boost control, methanol/alcohol injection. The brand of exhaust you buy isn't really something you need to discuss with them - read reviews on the forums to find out the fitment/duration quality of the parts.

The first power modifications you should be looking at, as said, is a quality aftermarket turboback exhaust. This is something that is best bought used in the classifieds section here or on Nasioc. An exhaust will only be shiny for a little while, and isn't really seen much, so why spend $$ on new parts when you can save a chunk of change buying used - plus, you're helping out a fellow Subaru owner out in the process.

You'll want a form of engine management to go with that exhaust. Since you have plans beyond StageII (turboback exhaust and ECU remap), your choice needs to be determined after you've decided on who will be tuning your vehicle.

Turbo: Blouch TD05H-20G with the upgraded 8cm^2 exhaust housing (this upgrade is CRUCIAL to the 2.5L engine). There are cheaper ones on the market, but Blouch is the only one that comes with the TD06 compressor housing from the factory, as well as ported/polished. They also have an awesome reputation.

Now, you've got your TBE and turbo picked out, now it comes time for supporting modifications.

Your OEM fuel system will not be up to par for the upgraded turbo. A Walbro GS342 fuel pump is considered the "standard" - don't bother with the install kit, just get the pump itself. Next, comes injectors. You could probably get by with ~750cc injectors, but to give yourself some headroom, I'd go with 850cc. The brand should be something you consult with your tuner about, but DeatschWerks are modified OEM injectors that retain the cap for optimal spray pattern, and are a solid choice.

This would be a bare-minimum 20G setup. However, to "do it right" requires more modifications ...

You're going to want a quality aftermarket I/C now. The stock one could work, but it will hold you back. For me, cost is a factor, so I'm sticking with TMIC. A few good brands to consider are TurboXS, Perrin, APS, and Spearco. A FMIC will allow you to run more timing/boost, and therefore, will net you more power, but it's more expensive. Brands to consider are the ones I mentioned above except for Spearco (AFAIK, they don't offer a FMIC).

TGV-deletes. These were installed by Subaru to help with cold-start emissions. Get rid of them.

You'll probably need a different aftermarket intake. With the 20G, you may be close to maxing out the MAF with a stock-sized intake, so you may need to go larger. APS and KSTech both make good "big MAF" intakes. The Perrin one is decent, but the filter they supply you with is foam, so you'll need to swap that out ASAP for a K&N/AEM filter. Since you'll be replacing the turbo, it would also be a good time to replace the turbo inlet. If you go with a silicone inlet, make sure you get one that's reinforced to prevent collapsing (e.g., Samco or the new Perrin ones). APS makes a hard inlet, which won't collapse. A post-MAF pipe is cheap as well, grab one (e.g., Perrin, Cobb, Samco).

Aftermarket EWG Uppipe. Look for a pipe that does not have the flange welded at a 90 angle, but tapers. Grimmspeed used to have the first type setup, but have since gone to a tapered flange, and would be a good choice.

Exhaust manifold. Aftermarket headers are prone to cracking unless you spend big $$ (e.g., Full-Race). Another option would be to port/polish your OEM ones. Crucial Racing will PnP the elbows, and Grimmspeed also offers this service. The nice thing about them is they have a "core charge" which means you pay $XX extra, and they refund it when you return your manifolds to them (READ: no vehicle down time)

Aftermarket boost control. A BCS/MBC is something that tuners will have a preference on. They both have pros/cons.

Quality gauges. You want to know as much about the vehicle as possible at this point.

Power-wise, that would be a solid 20G setup. However, you've spent all that $$ into your engine, but have neglected three other very important aspects of modifications: suspension, driveline, and brakes. We can leave that for another thread.

Enjoy the car and happy modding

Thanks for the info. That's definitely more than I was expecting but is very insightful to the requirements I need to get the car where I want it to be. I'll definitely keep all of it in mind, particulary the info on a larger MAF and who to go to for one. The only thing I have to question is by what do you mean on choosing a tuner? Diagnostically speaking, the only thing I want to get accomplished from a tuner is using their dyno. I think the car's value personally depreciates when you let too many people touch it. But you've definitely given me a lot to think about. Thanks again for being so informative.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the info. That's definitely more than I was expecting but is very insightful to the requirements I need to get the car where I want it to be. I'll definitely keep all of it in mind, particulary the info on a larger MAF and who to go to for one. The only thing I have to question is by what do you mean on choosing a tuner? Diagnostically speaking, the only thing I want to get accomplished from a tuner is using their dyno. I think the car's value personally depreciates when you let too many people touch it. But you've definitely given me a lot to think about. Thanks again for being so informative.

Not just for dyno time, but for the actual tuning you need the tuner. Our cars respond very well to parts, BUT you have to get tuned for everything you do to the car. The general consensus is, purchase everything at once and get the single tune, as opposed to several tunes over a period of time.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    matt... you wrote td05 and td06... I'm assuming you only meant td06
    Nope, I meant exactly what was said. The Blouch unit uses a TD05 hotside, with a TD06 compressor housing.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Nope, I meant exactly what was said. The Blouch unit uses a TD05 hotside, with a TD06 compressor housing.
    I just read their website, and I still don't understand the point. Why a td06 housing with a TD05 turbine
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    I just read their website, and I still don't understand the point. Why a td06 housing with a TD05 turbine
    The TD05 hotside is for spool, the TD06 compressor housing is for a smoother/broader powerband and less drop-off up top. The TD05 compressor tends to "choke" the motor on the 2.5L (similar to the 7cm^2 exhaust housing)

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    They use the smaller td05 side to produce faster spool up while the td06 side lets more air flow in

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC