Couple Questions..
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Couple Questions.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So... Am about to turn 18 and am looking for a new car, (currently drive a limited 04 crossfire 6spd.) ...

Couple Questions..

So...
    Am about to turn 18 and am looking for a new car,
    (currently drive a limited 04 crossfire 6spd.) Looking for
    a more performance type car and figured I'd give Subaru a go. Am looking at a later 02-04 wrx sedan with decent milage (around 80-90k) in which I can build it up how I want it.

I'm asking you guys if there is anything I should look for in buying one of these cars?? How reliable are they, what parts would need replaced around 80k miles, any certain year I should stay away from, etc..

I'll be spending plenty of time on this forum learning as much as I can, but It'd be great to get some tips from the pro's..

Thanks,
    Taylor L

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

whats up i am also an 18 year old. i just bought an 03 what kind of power are you looking for?
    and i would go with a wrx i love, but if your looking like 04 you could go for and sti

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    I am 19 and bought an 03 a few months ago. First off I would buy from a reputable dealer. Next, I would be careful with the 02's because they are known to have glass tranny's. Also i would buy a wrx that is almost completely stock, because if not stock you have no idea how bad the car was driven or raced. make sure the engine clean and not muddy, i say this so you can see oil leaks or other issues. Make sure you get a carfax not a autocheck. Thats all i can think of right now...
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

carfax is a must if they wont provide one i would walk away. and take your time looking dont just jump on the first one. took me 4 tries before i found the one i just bought and i couldnt agree more with stock find something that has low miles and you will be a happy person

Thanks for the quick replies.
    Right now I'm just starting to get an idea of what kind I would want. (preferably an (03-04) model.

My price range max would be around 11k or so after I sold my xfire. And I agree, I'd like to start off bone stock and go from there. As far as power goes, 250-300 range would be more than enough for me.
    Is 11k a realistic price for the year and milage I'm looking for?
    Are they pretty reliable after 100k miles?

Thanks for the help

I Support ClubWRX
    carfax is a must but dont rely on it. carfax is only as good as the information put in.
    These cars a dependable, but dont think of buying one to do donuts and stuff like that, unless you like buying new parts...
    With 80,000 miles check the maintenance like this.Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period

you would be paying too much if you spent 11k for 80,000 miles. For that much you could find lower miles, especially if it is stock.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

12 grand would get you one with anywhere from 50-80k miles as far as i have seen. and for upgrades you will wanna get rid up your up-pipe first, then catback w/ stage one flash, the a downpipe w/ stage 2. and suspension and braking

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammtheman View Post
    12 grand would get you one with anywhere from 50-80k miles as far as i have seen. and for upgrades you will wanna get rid up your up-pipe first, then catback w/ stage one flash, the a downpipe w/ stage 2. and suspension and braking
    Or you could go with a TBE and a up-pipe and go to stage 2 at one time.

I do think 12k is a lot though for a stock 03-04 wrx with low miles.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I agree. The truck I traded had been wrecked, but the carfax on it was clean.

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    carfax is a must but dont rely on it. carfax is only as good as the information put in.
    These cars a dependable, but dont think of buying one to do donuts and stuff like that, unless you like buying new parts...
    With 80,000 miles check the maintenance like this.Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period

you would be paying too much if you spent 11k for 80,000 miles. For that much you could find lower miles, especially if it is stock.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Alright sweet,
    That makes things all the more assuring.
    I'm paying for all of this, only thing I'm worried about is how much insurance will be.. I should be getting a price drop once I turn 18 though.

i pay 180 a month full coverage with an accident so its terrible

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_dude34 View Post
    Alright sweet,
    That makes things all the more assuring.
    I'm paying for all of this, only thing I'm worried about is how much insurance will be.. I should be getting a price drop once I turn 18 though.
    good look with the price drop sorry but it wont be much because turbo cars cost more, plus guys cost more. Im still on my parents insurance, and they own the title so i pay a little less than $200 a month. oh i have a ticket too.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Haha, I shouldn't be the one laughing but for my crossfire it's 270 a month.. Sucks because I'm 17 in which makes me "an inexperienced driver', carrying full coverage, paying for it with my own money.. But that's saved my butt once before; so I won't go without it. Hopefully the price difference won't be too much.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It really depends so much on how the car has been treated. One of the other mods (timber) has 250K on a stage II and just recently did his first clutch IIRC. You'll have a minor service at 90K (or just do that all when you get it if you don't have a history). Timing belt at 105K will be a bit more. I'd expect all the basics to last until ~150K at least. The transmission is the weak spot but is fine unless abused.
    Last edited by mycologist; 12-09-2009 at 07:02 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_dude34
    I should be getting a price drop once I turn 18 though.
    My first price drop in insurance was @ 21 (but it was 40% - $19XX/year to $11XX/year). In NY, you've been driving for 5 years. The next one for me is @ 25.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.